Earthquake (7.8) near Turkey/Syria border (7.5 quake hours later) (1 Viewer)

Also where Christian Atsu ( former Chelsea player ) lives ( plays for club Hayatspor ) and reportedly trapped in collapsed building.

He actually scored in match to win 2-1.

just.
last.
night.

massive disaster in Turkey/Syria.

gettyimages-1246838471_custom-3ad4893747d331fd849104cc087cbd542f793460-s1300-c85.webp

I’m at a loss here - I pray the best for everyone impacted. Man….

This is posted by a verified Indian/South-Asian journalist. I think it is credible - hard to believe it's not from Ukraine or some other war zone.

Unfortunately, I just read a note from the Weather Channel app that the death toll has now surpassed 2500. I know we should take initial reports with a grain of salt but this is just very tragic.

Unfortunately, I just read a note from the Weather Channel app that the death toll has now surpassed 2500. I know we should take initial reports with a grain of salt but this is just very tragic.
Not to make light, but it’s going to be way more than that, isn’t it?

i think it may very well double in the next several days as reports still flow in from different, remote, regions.

looking at a map, devastation goes from the coast of Mediterranean Sea to 300 mi east and 200mi wide.

Interesting this is a "strike slip fault" - which generally produces a quake lower in magnitude than a thrust fault ( subduction- where one plate goes under another ). But happened at a "shallower" depth, causing it to be much worse.

but here is a good article on the why ( if interested )

A (reportedly) two minute 7.8 is mind boggling.

For reference, the 1989 San Fransisco quake during the WS reached 6.9 for something like 15 seconds

this earthquake is outside the design standards for a seismic Zone 4 (West coast).

We here must design and build public structures to withstand 7.5 for 1 minute.

Anything still standing from the initial 7.8, due to the weakening and failures it caused, would be wiped out by the 7.5 aftershock. It would have leveled this coast.

I can’t even being to imagine the devastation these people have to deal with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom