Easiest solution for X-box 360 problems (2 Viewers)

The question for another thread would be.. What exclusives stand out above and beyond and that make owning a 360 worth the hassle(issues have been discussed ad nauseum)?

Well, first and foremost has to be Halo 3...and Mass Effect...and BioShock...those 3 alone are worth getting a 360.

Well, first and foremost has to be Halo 3...and Mass Effect...and BioShock...those 3 alone are worth getting a 360.
Had a friend say BioShock sucked horribly. Didn't get the hype at all.

not that ive seen, my elite is perfect. noone i know has had problems with a console that wasnt a launch system, not to say it hasnt happened. i also know at least 3 people with launch systems that havent red ringed.

haven't had any issues with my Arcade either. My launch premium last 2 years, but its pretty much toast at this point.

Had a friend say BioShock sucked horribly. Didn't get the hype at all.

yeh, well, everyone has likes and dislikes, there is a bioShock demo available, i'd recomend checking it out yourself before relying on the opinion of "friends".

most of the 'exclusives' are also available on PC and will be when they wanna cash in on anyone that doesn't own a 360.

Halo 3...and Mass Effect...and BioShock...those 3 alone are worth getting a 360.

the funny thing is, you can hardly tell that there other games for the 360.....these are the only ones people ever talk about :shrug:

not sayin, just sayin

Not to thread-jack from the mudslinging or anything :), but I've heard some terrible terrible things about the Nyko Intercooler. It seems the problems with the intercooler stem from two main points:
1) The intercooler draws power directly from the Xbox's power cable, which prevents the machine from getting the necessary power needed for it's own internal components.
2) I've heard that some of the Nykos have actually melted and fused to the back of the Xbox, most likely due to the fact that is connects directly to the part of the machine that gets the hottest.

Since the Nyko intercooler is not an approved Xbox accessory it will void any Xbox warranty that you have, especially since some problems have been said to have been caused by it's drawing of critical power that the Xbox needs to run properly.

Here's a link to a small write-up on the Nyko: <a href='http://www.crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nykos-intercooler-causes-problems-for-xbox-360/'>Link</a href>
You can also read a few of the customer reviews of it on Amazon and they sound very discouraging of the product.

With that in mind I looked around for another type of cooling device that wouldn't pose the same problems. The above link mentions the Pelican Fan Stand which apparently plugs into the USB ports on the front of the Xbox, thereby only drawing some of the excess power from the machine only <i>after</i> the Xbox has gotten all of the power it deems necessary to run.

I also stumbled across <a href='http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2007/accessories/ics/ics1.htm'>this</a href> write-up for a similar Fan Stand from Intec. The difference is that this one has it's own ac adapter independent entirely of the Xbox thereby avoiding all power-related issues altogether. It's a pretty decent evaluation of the product and has plenty of pics of the inside of the device and how it works. It also seems to keep the Xbox pretty well-ventilated. The only drawback is that you <b>have</b> to keep it upright in the stand, so if you have your Xbox in an entertainment center things could get tricky space-wise.....but even if you do have it in an entertainment center it's probably best to find a better location for your system since it needs a lot of ventilation anyway.

That's about it. I hope this helps anybody. I just don't want to see anyone get needlessly burned by the Nyko.

im not saying other people havent had problems, but mine has worked flawlessly with the nyko intercooler. from my experience I highly recommend it. also, I am pretty sure nyko says that they will buy you a new 360 if the intercooler causes it to fail.

im not saying other people havent had problems, but mine has worked flawlessly with the nyko intercooler. from my experience I highly recommend it. also, I am pretty sure nyko says that they will buy you a new 360 if the intercooler causes it to fail.

Understood. I've read that the newer Nykos (the EX's) have corrected some of the problems of the first generation models, namely the power cord connection area which used to be plastic is now metal (which alleviates the melting problem). I'd still be nervous to use the Xbox's own power supply for the fan though, and looking on Amazon I came across a very similar intercooler from Intec that looks the same as Nykos but it has it's own ac adapter.

<a href='http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Mounted-Turbo-Cooler-White/dp/B0014A0316/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1206715076&sr=1-6'>Link</a href>

I've already ordered a fan stand, and if that doesn't run too loudly I think I'll consider getting the Intec intercooler for the back of the machine as well, to be safe. Luckily I've got a lot of room on my power strip. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom