Saints Easop Winston film study: His route running may threaten Callaway and Trequan (1 Viewer)

Got a question:

What is the LEAST amount of production you’d like to see ( catches, yds, ypc, TDs) for a player to be a legit #2 WR in a 17 game season

Got some numbers in mind, but curious to see what y’all think.

Thanks in advance! 👍🏽

Got a question:

What is the LEAST amount of production you’d like to see ( catches, yds, ypc, TDs) for a player to be a legit #2 WR in a 17 game season

Got some numbers in mind, but curious to see what y’all think.

Thanks in advance! 👍🏽

For me, Emmanual Sanders was it. 60 catches, 600-700 yards, 5+ TDs is perfect, but when you have monsters like Thomas and Kamara who are going to put up huge numbers, it doesn't even matter to me if the #2 is putting up huge stats, so long as he is consistent. To answer your question, 500 yards and 5 TDs is the least I'd want from a #2. I'm not sure what the league average is. It may not even be that high, honestly.

I can very easily see Baker amd Winston rounding out the last 2 roster spots., but at this point I don't believe either is a threat to Smith or Calloway.

Thomas and Harris are locks, Smith and Calloway it's their job to lose. Johnson is imoving to TE.

That leaves 1 to 2 roster spots and 1 to 2 practice squad spots.

The remaining WRs are Humphrey, Lampman, McCleskey, Baker and Winston, you can make an argument for everyone except maybe Lampman.

1. Thomas
2. Calloway
3. Smith
4. Harris
5. Baker
6. Winston
PS
7. McClesky
8. Humphrey

Odd man out Lampman

5 through 8 at this point is really just a toss up.

I don't really see "great route running" as part of his game, as of yet. He takes advantage of space and holes in the zones very well and has big strong hands, while still having soft hands. He has a good double move and some shades of Devante Adams in that "in space" movement against a defender. I love that he always ATTACKS the ball in the air with his hands and also is a "move forward" guy when he catches the ball...the same as a "fall forward" running back, in that respect. Some of the highlights in the video is against some pretty bad coverage and DB's who are over pursuing or waiting to react to him and he catches them flat flooted. He plays quicker than his straight line speed. He looks a bit slower than he actually is, which sucks for a defender when trying to gauge speed/quickness. He doesn't have the smooth, route running and body control that Calloway has shown, but I think he could be in contention to see time on the field.

We will have a hungry depth of young WR's fighting and some cream could rise to the top...and I hope it does! TQS needs to be very consistent and hopefully the competition lights a fire underneath him. TQS would have good numbers if Winston started, though, especially on broken plays. His strengths lend to fighting for the ball and usually being able to fight through defenders to make a play, when given the chance. He is a big body target that will try to find spaces and as the blurb of Winston telling him to keep moving, they are already looking at having a bit of chemistry. I don't think TQS has a major "uphill battle" to make the team, but there are some hungry guys behind him (at least on paper right now).

There are things to Easop's game that could have him being successful but route running isn't just a double move in space and finding holes. If he shows he CAN run consistent routes (all the routes...especially timing routes), absorb the offense, BLOCK and still hold on to the strengths and intangibles he already has, he could be a good, productive WR...or be a really good "one trick pony". He seems to be a "football guy", though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom