East West Shrine Game Saints tidbit... (1 Viewer)

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rams grab Kyle Kalis as practice ends. Saints hit up Matt Godin. Lano Hill with the Cardinals.</p>&mdash; Jeff Risdon (@JeffRisdon) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/821090677769568256">January 16, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For those interested, Risdon is a nice follow for these type of updates...

For those like me who have no idea who this guy is: Matthew Godin Bio - Michigan Football - MGoBlue.com

He's a DT from Michigan.

&#8226; Tackles: 5 - UCF, 2016
&#8226; Interceptions: 1 - Northwestern, 2014

At Michigan
&#8226; Three-year letterman
&#8226; Has appeared in 40 career games along the defensive line, making 15 starts
&#8226; All-Big Ten honoree; 2016 honorable mention (coaches)

Fifth-Year Senior (2016)
&#8226; All-Big Ten honorable mention (coaches)
&#8226; Has played in all 12 games and made 11 starting assignments at defensive tackle
&#8226; Assisted on one tackle against Hawaii (Sept. 3)
&#8226; Tallied five stops vs. UCF (Sept. 10)
&#8226; Assisted on two tackles and a TFL against Colorado (Sept. 17)
&#8226; Had four-tackle efforts against Penn State (Sept. 24), posting his first sack of the season
&#8226; Recorded four tackles against Wisconsin (Oct. 1)
&#8226; Assisted on a TFL and made two stops at Rutgers (Oct. 8)
&#8226; Made one stop and his 10th career start against Illinois (Oct. 22)
&#8226; Contributed one stop against Michigan State (Oct. 29) and Maryland (Nov. 5)
&bull Recorded two solo tackles against Iowa (Nov. 12)
&#8226; Recorded one solo tackle at Ohio State (Nov. 26)

Found this one interesting also, as that joker style running back is talked about as a need for the Saints. Wouldn't mind them scouting this dude a bit more in depth.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MTSU RB I&#39;Tavius Mathers showing nice hands out if backfield and he turns it up QUICKLY</p>&mdash; Jeff Risdon (@JeffRisdon) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/821088693599477760">January 16, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rams grab Kyle Kalis as practice ends. Saints hit up Matt Godin. Lano Hill with the Cardinals.</p>&mdash; Jeff Risdon (@JeffRisdon) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/821090677769568256">January 16, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For those interested, Risdon is a nice follow for these type of updates...

Went reading through his timeline and he's out there with Emory Hunt (https://twitter.com/FBallGameplan) from Football Gameplan who posts here as Football CEO, I believe. I've always liked Emory's breakdowns both during the season and between now and the draft. The fact that he's a local boy and played for Milne playground growing up makes me appreciate his work even that much more. Give him a follow too if you're looking for good coverage.

Looking back at draft picks under Payton/Loomis, do the saints typically meet with players that end up getting drafted? I guess I'd be interested in seeing what the correlation is per se

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this one interesting also, as that joker style running back is talked about as a need for the Saints. Wouldn't mind them scouting this dude a bit more in depth.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MTSU RB I&#39;Tavius Mathers showing nice hands out if backfield and he turns it up QUICKLY</p>&mdash; Jeff Risdon (@JeffRisdon) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffRisdon/status/821088693599477760">January 16, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Am I reading that right and the kid's name is I'Tavius? Or is that a lower case L accidentally typed on his phone? Just curious.

Never mind. It's an I. Here's his bio: http://www.goblueraiders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5124

2016 (r-Senior)
&#8226; Named First Team All-C-USA
&#8226; Named First Team All-C-USA by Phil Steele
&#8226; Voted a Permanent Team Captain
&#8226; Named to the Doak Walker Award Watch List
&#8226; Earned the Grinder award for Running Backs in the spring
&#8226; Named the C-USA Offensive Player of the Week on Sept. 19, Sept. 26 and Oct. 24
&#8226; Voted the TSWA Player of the Week on 9/20/16 and 10/25/16
&#8226; Played in all 12 games and had 11 starts
&#8226; Led team with 1,504 yards rushing and 16 rushing touchdowns to go with 62 catches for 589 yards and three scores
&#8226; Just the seventh player in NCAA FBS history to have 1,500 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving in the same season
&#8226; Had eight 100-yard rushing games, including six in a row to equal the second longest streak in school history
&#8226; Set the single-season record for rushing yards (1,504), all-purpose yards (2,093) and receptions for a running back (62)
&#8226; Had five or more receptions in a game eight times
&#8226; Became just the second player in MT history to record 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving in a game when he tallied 157 rushing yards and 103 receiving yards at Bowling Green
&#8226; Tallied a career-best 215 rushing yards on 28 attempts in win at Missouri to go with a personal-high eight receptions
&#8226; Turned in his second 200-yard rushing game with 213 yards and three TDs against FAU

2015 (Senior)
&#8226; Transferred to Middle Tennessee after three years at Ole Miss
&#8226; Sat out the 2015 campaign due to NCAA transfer rules

We could use someone like this in the later rounds to replace Sproles lol. He's an Ole Miss transfer, so he's got good stock but must've not been happy with his playing time or something. Maybe some of our Ole Miss fans on here could fill us in on why he transferred.

Does he have any kick returning experience?

Looking back at draft picks under Payton/Loomis, do the saints typically meet with players that end up getting drafted? I guess I'd be interested in seeing what the correlation is per se

If I remember correctly, The Times Picayune posted an article following the 2013 draft in which they talked about the Vacarro pick. In it, they explained that they tend to bring in players with character marks for interviews. When they don´t have questions on character issues, they don´t bother to do it. That was before Jeff Ireland, so maybe that has changed a bit.

Saints need defensive help like crazy so why in the haydees they even looking at RB or WR. Whats up with Ryan Anderson and other defensive prospects or Olineman. The skill positions on offense is sketched in stone.

Saints need defensive help like crazy so why in the haydees they even looking at RB or WR. Whats up with Ryan Anderson and other defensive prospects or Olineman. The skill positions on offense is sketched in stone.

We are actually only two deep at the position with Ingram and Hightower everybody else outside of Cadet is unproven and without a defined role. Lasco seemed more comfortable on special teams than in the Saints offense and the Saints always find a gen at the position either late in the Draft or UDFA.

I like me some Ingram, Lasco, and Hightower, but you can always upgrade at running back. Always.

I fully expect us to take a shifty guy who can split out wide, who makes people miss and such.

They're going to meet with just about every player in the draft between the bowl games, pro days and combine. Some guys will be brought in for visits. You can just assume they're talking to everybody because they are.

As unpopular an opinion as it may be, we don't need a RB taken high. The BPA in a later round is a different matter of course, but all the Fournette, Cook, McCaffrey chatter needs to stop.

Reposting my reasoning, mostly in response to the satellite back point being made:

The fact is we have a satellite/joker back, but because we focus on anecdotal samples (i.e. what we see at key points on game day) we imagine the team has a yawning need for a 'better' back and more often than not ignore any data that argues to the contrary.

Cadet's crime is that he isn't a league beating superstar, much in the same way Brandon Coleman is guilty of being 'only' a #4 WR - both fulfil their roles without huge individual statistical success. That is perfectly suitable for what they're asked to do.

There is also the fact that our use of the satellite back makes our personnel set more clearly pass oriented, setting things up for the defense to get a jump on the playcall and therefore setting their own call to defend it best. We can't have this back on the field all the time, without limiting what we can do.

I'd put forward 3rd down conversion rate as probably the single most visible metric for the impact/value of a team's satellite back to success. And in 2016 the Saints are the #1 NFL team in this measure. It's not even a close race, we are a full 1.9% better than the second placed Packers. To put that into perspective, it's the largest difference between two teams in the rankings until you get to the cellar dwelling Rams (a full 2.7% adrift of 31st place). And there is no greater than a 1.0% difference between any other two adjoining clubs throughout the league rankings. We are that dominant on 3rd down, with the players we already have.

Now to be fair, we can compare with the oft-quoted gold standard of Saints satellite backs while he was in Black and Gold from 2011 to 2013, Darren Sproles, and how the team's 3rd Down conversion rate stacks up while he was with us:

Without Sproles
2016 Rk:1 Cnv:48.6%
2015 Rk:1 Cnv:47.7%
2014 Rk:1 Cnv:48.3%
With Sproles
2013 Rk:3 Cnv:43.9% (#1 SD at 49.0%)
2012 Rk:4 Cnv:44.0% (#1 NE at 48.7%)
2011 Rk:1 Cnv:56.7%

Source: 2016 NFL Team Downs Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Obviously, 2011 supports the logic that a top tier satellite back makes all the difference, but the 2012 and 2013 figures with Sproles still on board don't back that up, and may even suggest that, as with most things in today's NFL, it's hard to keep beating defenses the same way as they will scout, learn and adapt to beat you. And today, with the much maligned Cadet, we are doing better than at any time since 2011's heyday. In fact, we've led the league in 3rd down conversion every year since we let Sproles go.

For those demanding we get someone better, of course improving at any position is the overall goal, but doing so at the expense of other greater team needs is not. All this desire to draft high for a shiny new model of the same sort of player as we already have needs to step outside and cool off for a while.

Just my opinion.

If you had paid closer attention, you would have noticed that the tweet about the running back did not mention the Saints. The first tweet mentioned that the Saints had a conversation with a defensive tackle.

Also: Hades; etched in stone

Godin is limited athletically and has a tendency to play too high but he's a good player to have in a defensive line rotation. He really improved this season maybe to a late round selection after he looked like nothing more than a priority free agent. In facts, most scouts were not interested in him last summer/beginning of the season. But he was arguably one of the two best players on the interior defensive line for Michigan along with Mo Hurst.

If you had paid closer attention, you would have noticed that the tweet about the running back did not mention the Saints. The first tweet mentioned that the Saints had a conversation with a defensive tackle.

Also: Hades; etched in stone

Why this reminds me of my 5th grade teacher, I'm not sure.

:ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom