Eating Crow - Congrats Juwan Johnson! (1 Viewer)

Jameis knew that Juwan was going to be a big piece of this offense, worked with him in Tampa over the summer. You don’t do that with a “camp body.”
Yep!

But a while back, I posted what NFLNs Daniel Jeremiah said about Juwan at the 2020 Combine, “He’s a TE….he just doesn’t know it yet!” 😂

That notion was not lost on either Juwan or Sean Payton! CSP made Juwan aware of the move to TE at the end of last season. N safe to say, Juwan took dat ball n ran with it!! He hit the weight room n added 10-15 lbs of muscle to his 6’4”, 230 lb frame. He spent lotsa time working out with Winston in the offseason, while learning the TE playbook.

And it paid off! Throughout TC, folk started taking notice of his play, from the media to his coaches n teammates, n esp all of his QBs! Yes, he still has lotsa to work on n continued development will be key ( esp his blocking).

But to see his hard work n play at TE during TC transition over into the first game of the regular season should only boost his confidence!

As long as he stays healthy n keeps working hard, he could have a surprisingly good year!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Feels like the 1st end zone threat we had since Jimmy. Johnson vertical spacing is wild.
He’s a great target for Jameis! But
I thought Winston’s second TD pass to a wide open Juwan was a juus a lil too high, n his pass to Juwan that was picked but overturned by penalty was a lil too low!

But I also thought Winstons pass to Juwan for his first TD catch was jus right! More importantly, I thought Winston’s connection to Juwan on 4th down was one of the best calls n best executed plays by the O against GB! The timing n execution by Juwan, Jameis, Throck n Ram was on point!

Overall, it’s good to see all the hard work the duo put in during the offseason is already paying off! I like the chemistry they’re developing, n I think they’ll only get better!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

He’s a great target for Jameis! But
I thought Winston’s second TD pass to a wide open Juwan was a juus a lil too high, n his pass to Juwan that was picked but overturned by penalty was a lil too low!

But I also thought Winstons pass to Juwan for his first TD catch was jus right! More importantly, I thought Winston’s connection to Juwan on 4th down was one of the best calls n best executed plays by the O against GB! The timing n execution by Juwan, Jameis, Throck n Ram was on point!

Overall, it’s good to see all the hard work the duo put in during the offseason is already paying off! I like the chemistry they’re developing, n I think they’ll only get better!

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
It wasn't. It was an intentional high point catch.

Winston made the read at when the pick was set. He threw high expecting the DB to make the switch, because they are an elite secondary. Johnson being wide open was a big surprise.

We was up double digits. It was a very calculated pass. Winston wants to guarantee a FG.

It wasn't. It was an intentional high point catch.

Winston made the read at when the pick was set. He threw high expecting the DB to make the switch, because they are an elite secondary. Johnson being wide open was a big surprise.

We was up double digits. It was a very calculated pass. Winston wants to guarantee a FG.
Gotcha. Makes sense. 👍🏽

I really hate when people use the term "camp body." Teams do not sign "camp bodies." They sign guys they think can compete for a spot on the team. You would think with the number of undrafted guys that have made the team that the expression will fall out of use.

----

Thank you. It's so disrespectful imho.

Juwan Johnson is to Adam Trautman what Pierre Thomas was to Antonio Pittman
I think that’s a good assessment honestly. Pittman didn’t make the team but it was because he just flat got beat out. I honestly respected CSP more for it because many coaches don’t like to admit defeat on a draft pick so fast. Johnson is clearly a baller. He looked like he had a ladder on a couple of those catches.

I would like to eat crow on Adam Trautman. I think he has been very underwhelming.
Yes…Trautman was awful Sunday. Likely the worst player on the field for the Saints.

But…

Argument 1) He is still an elite blocker on a team that plans to maul defenses in the run game. Even if he never pans out at receiver he’ll still arguable be a more important contributor than better catching options such as Johnson. Sorry Trautman is hurting Saints fans fantasy teams, but he’s still very important.

Argument 2) He has the potential to do what Juwan Johnson can do, but Juwan Johnson doesn’t have the potential to do what Trautman does. You can’t teach size. Johnson will never be more than a tweener WR/TE. Their athletic profiles are both good but not great. We aren’t looking at Kelce or Waller with either guy. We’ll be fortunate if we have a Dallas Clark or Gerald Everett.

Argument 3) There are many positions I think you can form a sound opinion about after you see them in the NFL for a year and one game, but TE is not among them. TE historically has the slowest learning curve of any position on the field. It’s just way too early to form a longterm opinion, and Trautman will continue to have the opportunity to grow because he’s so valuable to the blocking game. Time to take a deep breath.

Yes…Trautman was awful Sunday. Likely the worst player on the field for the Saints.

But…

Argument 1) He is still an elite blocker on a team that plans to maul defenses in the run game. Even if he never pans out at receiver he’ll still arguable be a more important contributor than better catching options such as Johnson. Sorry Trautman is hurting Saints fans fantasy teams, but he’s still very important.

Argument 2) He has the potential to do what Juwan Johnson can do, but Juwan Johnson doesn’t have the potential to do what Trautman does. You can’t teach size. Johnson will never be more than a tweener WR/TE. Their athletic profiles are both good but not great. We aren’t looking at Kelce or Waller with either guy. We’ll be fortunate if we have a Dallas Clark or Gerald Everett.

Argument 3) There are many positions I think you can form a sound opinion about after you see them in the NFL for a year and one game, but TE is not among them. TE historically has the slowest learning curve of any position on the field. It’s just way too early to form a longterm opinion, and Trautman will continue to have the opportunity to grow because he’s so valuable to the blocking game. Time to take a deep breath.

QFT

The worst player on the field Sunday was Aaron Rodgers. Just goes to show one game doesn't make the player.

I don't think that having minimal or zero expectations for a UDFA necessitates "eating crow".

Otherwise I'm pretty sure nearly 100% of the Saints fanbase would have to eat crow over Pierre Thomas. Until fans saw what he could do in preseason, I'm willing to bet there were not a whole bunch of "watch out for Pierre Thomas!" threads on this forum, particularly considering the Saints drafted a running back in the fourth round.
I could be mistaken, but I’m almost sure that 3 of PT’s first 4 times ever touching of the football went for TDs in his first season. Believe one was a STs TD to boot.

I would like to eat crow on Adam Trautman. I think he has been very underwhelming.
Fish Fingers Trautman! I hope he can pull it together, knock off the slime and make the catches!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom