Ed Oliver going off on coach. Top DT draft prospect. (3 Viewers)

Reaction score
Was told to take coat off, but some more words had to been said get him that upset.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ed Oliver was HEATED when his coach told him to take off his jacket on the sideline ? <a href="https://t.co/2OZUAXSrJ1">pic.twitter.com/2OZUAXSrJ1</a></p>&mdash; ESPN (@espn) <a href="">November 16, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I remember when players just did what their coaches said to do, no questions asked. Players/people’s feelings get hurt too easily these days. I’m a huge Oliver fan, but c’mon man. If you are not playing then take the jacket off. Double up on a hoodie or something geez

Wait... he wasn't playing in the game, and he couldn't get warm by playing so he chose to wear a jacket to keep himself warm.

The coach told him to take the jacket off. Why? exactly? Maybe I'm missing something but why make him take the jacket off if he's cold? Maybe it was a sideline dress code situation?

I'm so confused.

Edit: OK so I understand now the jacket was for players that were actually playing. Oliver wasn't authorized to wear it. Gotcha. At first I watched the video with no sound. Woner what Applewhite said to make the kid go off like that.

Sad that the focus will be on the kid as opposed to the passive-aggressive coach. The coach is mad that Oliver isn't playing though we all know the coach would leave for the NFL if his phone rang at halftime.
I’m pretty sure that it was already a rule. Can’t have a different set of rules for your star players. The kid wasn’t playing, so he should have taken the jacket off. Respect your coach man and respect the guys who are actually playing, who may have been cold, on the sideline, waiting to get back in the game, but didn’t have a jacket bc Oliver was wearing it

Wait... he wasn't playing in the game, and he couldn't get warm by playing so he chose to wear a jacket to keep himself warm.

The coach told him to take the jacket off. Why? exactly? Maybe I'm missing something but why make him take the jacket off if he's cold? Maybe it was a sideline dress code situation?

I'm so confused.

Edit: OK so I understand now the jacket was for players that were actually playing. Oliver wasn't authorized to wear it. Gotcha. At first I watched the video with no sound. Woner what Applewhite said to make the kid go off like that.

The jacket he was wearing wouldn't fit over shoulder pads.

I’m pretty sure that it was already a rule. Can’t have a different set of rules for your star players.

That's fine but it's a pretty dumb rule:

"We just have a rule on the sideline that guys who are participating in the games and specifically starters, that they have jackets so they can stay [warm]," Applewhite said. "As a coach who has coached and played for years, you don't want a thousand guys in jackets when it's only 50 degrees outside. You want guys to stand up, be off the bench, be tough, and some guys had them early on. I asked them to take them off ... and Ed had one so I asked him to take it off because I don't want to be unfair and unequal to the other guys, and you know, he got emotional. But he's young. And that's what happens. And he's not playing, and that's hard and that's difficult. I don't hold anything against anyone."

So you'd rather players be uncomfortable just to "look tough"? Give me a [MOD EDIT :nono: - TVP] break with this macho posturing [Mod Edit :nono: Do not intentionally trip the profanity filter on the SSF board].

Respect your coach man

Agreed

and respect the guys who are actually playing, who may have been cold, on the sideline, waiting to get back in the game, but didn’t have a jacket bc Oliver was wearing it

Houston is a NIKE school I'm sure they had more than enough jackets and coats for the entire team and coaching staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems to be more than a jacket. I think it stems from Oliver wanting to wait so he can protect his draft stock.

"We just have a rule on the sideline that guys who are participating in the games and specifically starters, that they have jackets so they can stay [warm]," Applewhite said. "As a coach who has coached and played for years, you don't want a thousand guys in jackets when it's only 50 degrees outside. You want guys to stand up, be off the bench, be tough, and some guys had them early on. I asked them to take them off ... and Ed had one so I asked him to take it off because I don't want to be unfair and unequal to the other guys, and you know, he got emotional. But he's young. And that's what happens. And he's not playing, and that's hard and that's difficult. I don't hold anything against anyone."

So you'd rather players be uncomfortable just to "look tough"? Give me a forking break with this macho posturing bullshirt.

Agreed

Houston is a NIKE school I'm sure they had more than enough jackets and coats for the entire team and coaching staff.
That may be, but he said that he asked others to take them off, and obviously there was no blow up from the others. Ed probably went on an ego trip bc he was the only one that blew up from the notion. Like I said, I’m a huge Oliver fan, but respect your coach, and respect the rules. Ed is a big dude and he had a hoodie on. I’m sure he wasn’t entirely cold enough to where it was life or death that he wore a jacket

Unfortunate incident.

Major and I were in the same graduating class at Catholic High (Baton Rouge) many years ago. He's a genuinely good dude and so is Ed Oliver. Both are competitors ...

The media will blow this up way out of proportion. Coach and player have already moved on and I bet when the NFL scouts/GM start calling Applewhite, he'll continue to give this kid high praise as both a gifted player and person.

So you'd rather players be uncomfortable just to "look tough"? Give me a forking break with this macho posturing bullshirt.
Congrats. You just destroyed football, the tough guy game that's 90% mental.

Know what's even worse than blowing up at your head coach on the sidelines about wearing a coat in 50F weather? Leaving the stadium after halftime and tweeting about the game. Just childish. Applewhite covered for him pretty well at the end of the game, though.

Rules are rules and I get that, so abide by them, hoooooowever, let me take the damn jacket off myself. Like seriously, man to man what do you look like coming to take my jacket off when I can do it myself. Major escalated the situation by how he did it. Being aggravated at whatever during the game and to a player it feels like this came from out of nowhere. Has nothing to do with being a star or one of the stars. I'm grown enough and old enough to take it off myself coach. This isn't high school! Major Applewhite started this and could've made it clear again before the game even started. Clearly he knew he couldve handled it differently which is why he said he "understands both sides". Meaning he and Oliver. In any regular situation, walk up to a man, especially a 270 lbs. man who's full of testosterone, who's naturally aggressive by playing an aggressive sport at an aggressive position and see what happens...
I'm Mark Ingrams size and about and inch and a half shorter...try and walk up to me and start pulling g my jacket off, for whatever reasons...we got problems. I'm no Billy bad@$$ but we got problems. Major Applewhite handled wrong hands down and he knows it. Considering he played football at a high level and knows the emotional aggression most of these guys has. Funny, how'd you think Major Applewhite would've handled that or would handle it now if someone does that to him? Inquiring minds would love to know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom