Ed Oliver going off on coach. Top DT draft prospect. (1 Viewer)

His coach actually started taking the coat off for him. There are many people who don’t take too kindly to having another person put their hands on them and that is what probably fired him up - just guessing at this point.
I don’t have an opinion on the rule itself; if that’s the rule then follow it if you’re a member of the team.

That may be, but he said that he asked others to take them off, and obviously there was no blow up from the others. Ed probably went on an ego trip bc he was the only one that blew up from the notion. Like I said, I’m a huge Oliver fan, but respect your coach, and respect the rules. Ed is a big dude and he had a hoodie on. I’m sure he wasn’t entirely cold enough to where it was life or death that he wore a jacket

Know what's even worse than blowing up at your head coach on the sidelines

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sticking up for Ed here. Blowing up at your coach is dumb, I'm just saying the rule is stupid in the first place.

Congrats. You just destroyed football, the tough guy game that's 90% mental.

:rolleyes: give me a break. It's like all those reporters that fawn all over guys for walking out in shorts and sleeveless shirts for pre game warm ups in Green Bay to "show how they don't care about the weather".

Last edited:
This seems to be more than a jacket. I think it stems from Oliver wanting to wait so he can protect his draft stock.
That's what I was coming to ask. Is Ed Oliver totally healthy and just making himself unavailable? Or is he thought to be nursing a minor injury (even if no one can prove he's sandbagging)?

I don't understand this.. Players who are playing are staying warm by running and moving. If anything , the bench players are the ones that should have the coats because they are just sitting/standing there. I'm so confused
I'm guessing you've never gotten sweaty then had to sit in cold weather with a cold wind blowing on you.

No respect for authority. The "dumb rule" defense makes no sense. It's not a dumb rule....it's their rule and as a player you can follow it or leave the team. If you're on the team then you follow team rules. People want to go through life rewriting rules to suit them....it doesn't always work that way.

I remember when players just did what their coaches said to do, no questions asked. Players/people’s feelings get hurt too easily these days. I’m a huge Oliver fan, but c’mon man. If you are not playing then take the jacket off. Double up on a hoodie or something geez

In this particular case, I strongly disagree. Student-athletes do not receive compensation so my rule has always been to provide them with adequate resources, including the proper gear needed on and off the field. Those coats are dime a dozen, trust me. This was a home game; it varies by conference but you have anywhere from 70-85 players dressed for a conference home game in addition to the 60 bench-area credentials that you receive for a game. You have between 90-100 credentials in total handed out, which include the 12 coaches in the coaches booth, the 4 video credentials, the 10-all access passes and the 8 for the athletic director. So you're looking at a footprint of roughly 175 persons. Why am I bringing this up? Generally, for a home game, equipment will have a variety of gear for everyone. The players will have the sideline capes but the locker will have enough "backup" coats to cover maybe 75-100 persons. And generally, there'll be a variety. Of course, it depends on the program's resources. But when you are at a home, it is easier to keep the locker stocked. Because there are times at halftime when you might switch up your gear depending on if you feel like you need to be cooler or warmer. The coat Oliver was wearing was not a sideline cape so I'd venture to say that there were probably at least a good 75+ of those coats in the locker. In my view, this was not about a coat. If it is, it is a pretty dumb rule because again you have to have enough gear to adequately support your staff/team for changing weather conditions throughout a game. I think Applewhite is upset with Oliver for others reasons, maybe feeling like the young man is intentionally avoiding a return to the field. So you single him out by saying this is not for "guys who do not play." But as many coats that are in the locker, and the different types of coats, this was not about the appropriate gear for an undressed player.

Last edited:
Kid sacrifices his body to play college football, which earns the college millions of dollars and pays the coaches salary, and he's not allowed to wear a coat when he's cold.

If I was Ed, I would have taken that Houston hoodie off as well, thrown it on the ground, left the game, quit the program, and started focusing on the draft.

Also, why isn't there enough coats for everyone? People run different temperatures. I was in shorts yesterday and it was like 40 degrees.

I’m pretty sure that it was already a rule. Can’t have a different set of rules for your star players. The kid wasn’t playing, so he should have taken the jacket off. Respect your coach man and respect the guys who are actually playing, who may have been cold, on the sideline, waiting to get back in the game, but didn’t have a jacket bc Oliver was wearing it
Yep, no different set of rules for star players. If you think Drew and JT Barrett are held to the same standard then I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason Terron and Ram sit out practices while Tom has to bust his hump all week. There are a hundred Nike jackets on the sideline and the guy was just standing there. This is Applewhite being upset that Oliver isn't playing. It's not about respect. Like I said, Applewhite would leave before the bowl game if a bigger school or the NFL came calling.

I remember when players just did what their coaches said to do, no questions asked. Players/people’s feelings get hurt too easily these days. I’m a huge Oliver fan, but c’mon man. If you are not playing then take the jacket off. Double up on a hoodie or something geez
and there was an ***ton of abuse that happened under that approach

That may be, but he said that he asked others to take them off, and obviously there was no blow up from the others. Ed probably went on an ego trip bc he was the only one that blew up from the notion. Like I said, I’m a huge Oliver fan, but respect your coach, and respect the rules. Ed is a big dude and he had a hoodie on. I’m sure he wasn’t entirely cold enough to where it was life or death that he wore a jacket
And he probably hurt his own draft stock with that behavior too.

Come on old man what you described has NEVER been the case. These people aren't football robots. Teammates get into it with each other. Coaches and players get into it.

The only difference today is damn near every game is televised and there is social media to capture it all.

ehh.

he's more important than anybody in your program. he's cold. it's a jacket. people put on jackets when they are cold

this coach is a moron. just because it is a rule doesn't mean it's smart. that's the archaic crap that's falling out of football "making people toughen up" by standing in the cold without a jacket. what an idiot

i don't care who you are, if i am cold, i'm putting on the jacket

Sad that the focus will be on the kid as opposed to the passive-aggressive coach. The coach is mad that Oliver isn't playing though we all know the coach would leave for the NFL if his phone rang at halftime.
You’ll get a bunch of red thumbs but you’re absolutely right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom