Ed Orgeron and LSU to separate at end of season, just two years after winning it all (1 Viewer)

Not a bad list.. id probably drop Cristobal and Franklin down and put Petersen and Fickell at 2 and 3.
I really like Petersen the best. He took a nothing program that competed with the big guys regularly, changed the entire way we think about what teams are worthy of competing for Natl Titles and has no peer when it comes to finding talented staff. Unlike a lot of guys who just cycle through successful coaches, Petersen finds future program leaders. I just don't think he's available for LSU and if he were, I don't think he stays for very long.

Fickell hasn't really beaten anyone noteworthy for a significant amount of time. IMO, he's just as unknown as Aranda. I think he's a good candidate, just still hasn't proven enough to warrant a higher spot.

What Cristobal has done at Oregon is amazing. He's broken through the Pac 12 norm and created a program that out-recruits everyone on the west coast while building a mentality of physical play that flies in the faces of generations of w st coast football. Oregon isn't really an easy place to recruit, either. Sure the facilities know no peer and the uniforms are such a huge draw, but you're not going to pull 5 star guys from Florida, Georgia, etc so your pool is limited to the West coast.

Franklin has the best resume after Petersen. Three consecutive bowl games and 2 seasons with 9 wins at Vandy should get him a statue. Then to step in at Penn State after the Sandusky stuff and a year of BOB before he bails and compete for Big Ten titles almost immediately? Two of the more challenging places to recruit and he makes it look easy. He also has a great eye for coaching talent.

Here is what has been going on

There is nothing wrong with a head coach not being the best X and O guy. A good supervisor surrounds himself with good people. The problem his that the national championship went to his head and all this sheet started

There is nothing wrong with a head coach not being the best X and O guy. A good supervisor surrounds himself with good people. The problem his that the national championship went to his head and all this sheet started

he went from the "desire to be LSU main guy" to being "LSU main guy" in a VERY short period of time, while losing sight of where he was just 12 months before.

When i got the text of O and his "gal" - they posted on INstagram ( topless ) i knew this was coming. Too much, too soon to handle it all.

Faster they rise, faster they fall for some.

If Ed Orgeron really has "no regrets" as the article concludes, then it's obvious (to me anyway) that he didn't want this job bad enough. :unsure:

I was done with Coach O after the UCLA game. Every local guy who covers the tigers kept telling me this was a top 5 defense in the country coming into Spring and fall camps, the touting of recruiting classes since 2019. Then the season opener at UCLA happens, they got completely pushed around on both sides of the ball. They looked horrible out there, horrible technique, still getting smoked on crossing routes like last season, you really got the sense of how poorly coached this team really is. UCLA dominated you from the first snap to last. UCLA hasn't done a whole lot since LSU and its further cemented when playing Bo Nix, they made him look like an all pro QB.

Poor angles, poor gap discipline, poor technique all around. High ranked recruits making bone headed mistakes, its just time to move on.

One of Dan Patrick's sources says that LSU is currently not in the mix for Arch Manning.
That's not a secret or new development. Nussmeier in the last class and Walker Howard in the next class pretty much saw to that, even if the 2019 offense was still humming...

He has never been a good head coach. The historically talented offense and a saints offense proved to be too much for the ncaa
Just curious…do you think the 2019 season happens without him? Do you think Burrow even comes to LSU without CEO going after him? Would we have had all that talent without him recruiting it? Yes, it was a perfect storm, but don’t forget who brewed it.

Orgeron's strength is in recruiting, I expect LSU to lose a large number of their incoming recruits for next year...
There not gonna loose as many as you think. Recruiting in general has never been a problem at LSU. Louisiana is full of talent & LSU gets most of it with the exception of a TA&M, Bama, Auburn, etc. pulling one or two out. It has always been about coaching. Over the last 40 years how many good coaches has LSU had? 2 maybe, the rest just at best average.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom