Ed Reed Or Charles Woodson? (1 Viewer)

Darren Sharper disagrees w you. While I agree w you that they don't fix anything long term, a few (not all) do fix things short term. If I need stitches for a cut but all I have to choose between is nothing or a bandaid to cover the cut, I choose a bandaid.

Yes, but the Saints had the cap room to do that back then. They need to invest in younger players who will be around for a few years, not a one-year-maybe wonder. I get it that Sharper, who was two years younger than Woodson when he signed with the Saints, was a good player for a year. A YEAR. How've things been since then? It's the narrow-minded idea that we need to waste cap money on a player--or God forbid TWO--who MIGHT be good for one season that gets me wondering what you guys are smoking and/or drinking. You do realize that the Saints not only need to re-build their defense, but they are also probably going to lose the starting OLT and possibly the starting center, right? They are both free agents. What aging vets you guys want to bring in to replace them?

They were talking about this lunacy of some fans today on NFL Radio, though they were discussing the Dolphins, whose fans are delirious that the Fins have a fair amount of cap room--and a BUNCH of starters who will be UFAs that they will need to re-sign, and that was allowing for saying good-bye to several of last year's starters who were good, but not good enough to pursue seriously if they expect to keep their QB upright. Miami fans are drooling about getting some of the FA receivers. They might; they certainly have a better chance than the Saints do to sign someone in free agency. However, they were saying that the fans don't think about who is being lost. They just get stars in their eyes about this player or that one and lose sight of the big picture.

The reality is this: The Saints have to cut over 20 million from their cap by March 12. I was looking at the cap savings of a number of players today, and they would have to cut some players that would probably be sound contributors just to get TO the cap ceiling. Never mind signing any of our free agents, and they will have to be able to pay the rookie class as well. What I am finding about a lot of people here is that some just don't like to hear the truth. That's fine, but it's sad too. The cap number is NOT what will be saved if a player is cut. Most of the ones who need to be cut won't even save the amount of their salary next year if they are cut. Take Roman Harper. Want to know how much the Saints will save if they cut him? A whopping one million dollars. That's it. His cap hit is 7.1 million. His dead money if he is cut is 6.1 million. Do the math. That is why they probably won't cut him. They can get a better cap savings if they restructure. That's going to **** *** some people here. Loomis will get the Saints under the cap, but with the free agents that played for the Saints last season that Payton will almost certainly want to keep--Bushrod (who's almost certainly gone due to the cost of a pro bowl LT), De la Puenta, Mack (who played very well for the Saints) to name just three--things are going to get very difficult. Where's the money to sign the FAs the Saints want to keep gonna come from? The cap fairy?

Let's assume the Saints lose their collective minds and you get your way. So tell me. How will you feel if the Saints bring in some aging vets who end up being part-time players, only to see Brees get injured in game three because they weren't able to adequately address the possible losses on the O-line? Wow. Hope those old guys can hold other teams to 14 points; otherwise, the season's even more over than last season was after the 0-4 start. I can hear everyone now griping about how much cap space is being eaten up by Brees, who would be on the sidelines for the rest of the season. Yep, that's smart.

Sorry, but I am not that short-sighted, and I sincerely hope the people on the Saints who make those decisions aren't as well. What some people on here propose makes me glad for them that their true names aren't public knowledge. If I were an employer, I would question their ability to analyze information well.

Face the truth, people. The Saints are in CAP HELL. Only one team in the league is in worse shape. That's going to pretty well kill any hope of signing any free agents from other teams. The truth is usually not very popular. It's to be expected. But don't bury your heads in the sand in the hopes that if you ignore it, then it doesn't matter.

I would rather them target one solid young player, like Avril or Barwin, and have a solid workhorse for years than collect a lot of 1-2 year vets that MIGHT play all year.

Im good friends with Ed Reed. Unless he was joking with me he told me the other day that he wont be signing with the Saints. I know things can change at any time, but that is what he told me. Take it for what its worth.

Im good friends with Ed Reed. Unless he was joking with me he told me the other day that he wont be signing with the Saints. I know things can change at any time, but that is what he told me. Take it for what its worth.

End Thread :(

Did you tell him we would really like it if he did?

I would rather them target one solid young player, like Avril or Barwin, and have a solid workhorse for years than collect a lot of 1-2 year vets that MIGHT play all year.

Not a fan of Avril, but Barwin has potential. The guy I'd really love for us to peruse, is CB Keenan Lewis from the Steelers. I dont think we'll have to break the bank for him, but I 100% think this guys on the verge of being a top flight corner. If we could land Lewis, I think that would be HUGE.

Glad that both are FA so we can pick one of them.

Ed Reed is my choice.

Woodson is the second choice if Ed reed is not available.

Im sure you've heard that the packers and Charles Woodson are preparing for his release,
that being said With Ed Reed and now Woodson to be available who would you rather
have?
Woodson and both Reed have been dominant at there positions, and we all lnow that our Secondary needs improvement. Who would you love to have and how many years do you think they have left in the tank?

Both declining veterans are light years ahead of anything we have now. Incentive laden contracts for both would suit me fine.

Ed Reed, because he went to my high school. Seriously, the Saints need a ball hawking free Safety more than a hybrid CB/Safety, I think Malcolm Jenkins can fill that role.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom