EJW Mock Draft "after" Rob Ryan Hiring (1 Viewer)

I think a lot folks are setting themselves up for disappointment. Payton specifically mentioned Harper as a player whose talent wasn't utilized under Spags. Harper, along with Smith and Vilma, will probably still be on the team opening day after some renegotiating of their contracts.

I have several scenarios where Roman harper stays. In this particular after reading up on how Rob Ryan likes his safeties to be interchangeable i don't see where Roman Harper fits in the 3-4. In a 4-3 such as the one the Titans will be using with 3G i think Roman is a better fit.

He will be expected to be in coverage more in this scheme. So thats why i pull the trigger on a trade to the Titans. It works for them they get a veteran SS that knows the scheme and can still play. He has his limitations but if anyone can disguise them its gregg. So they give up a 5th rounder for him. IT puts him in the AFC away from us and its a win win for both teams.

You need a stud SS in the 3-4 that can play a rover role. Harper isn't good in deep coverage...no ball skills. Elam can play that role better than Harper could...yes we take a cap hit but we also get some money back in cash.

When i do a detailed FA and the works ill explain my thoughts behind everyone.

I do agree that Vilma and Will Smith will return AFTER being cut.

We should use our 5th rounder to draft Nick Saban. He can coach DBs.

Whats with you..if i retaliate im going to own you..u know that right. I prefer to argue if u have specific points but i don't like to be irritated. Just a warning sir:9:

Didn't think wed take Robert Meachem with the 1st pick either

We were seen scouting this kid. Now keep in mind i took this pick with our 2nd because hes a fringe 2nd/3rd rounder. Also this only works if we actually trade with the Rams and get a 2nd rounder. If we dont then i don't have us selecting a WR either.

We were seen checking him out@ the Senior Bowl. Every last one of our receivers has an issue with beating press coverage...supposedly he was very good in that area@ the Senior Bowl. Also 2nd round insurance if Joe Morgan doesn't work out. Id rather draft a guy in the late 2nd than sign a guy like Mike Wallace for X amount of dollars.
Well, if he's potentially a 3rd rounder then I don't think he's the kind of player that the Saints would be surprised that he was still there and would jump on him. But hey, who knows, I read that Akeem Hicks was considered a 5th/6th rounder by lots of people last year. The Saints obviously thought higher of him so anything could happen.

The object of the trades are logical.. U might not agree with the compensation and thats fine..then ill adjust accordingly but they make sense.

Trading Harper to the Titans makes sense because they have a need @ SS. Roman fits the SS postion in a 4-3 better than he does in a 3-4. He will be expected to be in coverage a lot more in this scheme. We eat the bonus money but free up some cash as well. We also get him out of the NFC which makes sense because we get him far away from us.

As far as Ivory trading him to the Colts make sense....id prefer if it isn't anyone in the NFC. The colts do have a RB need. We might not get a 4th so i might still be aiming to high. However a late 4th rounder for a RB to add to a 2man rotation isn't bad. Perhaps in my next draft ill aim for a 5th since i tend to take things like trade value into consideration.

The trade back with the Rams makes sense for two reasons. If lane Johnson slips to us they could Trade with us and land him. Then take say Kenny Vaccaro with their next pick since they would be back to back. They get the Safety they need and the Left Tackle they need with back to back picks.

Well, if he's potentially a 3rd rounder then I don't think he's the kind of player that the Saints would be surprised that he was still there and would jump on him. But hey, who knows, I read that Akeem Hicks was considered a 5th/6th rounder by lots of people last year. The Saints obviously thought higher of him so anything could happen.

Yeah im taking that into consideration and changing my draft up as we speak. I just took a peak back@ his projection and he is more of a 4th rounder so im going to move him back in my next projection but i still like him as a pick. If we don't resign Devery then we don't know what we have as a deep threat outside of Morgan. Even if we do resign devery for cheap we still don't have anyone other than a few Practice squad players. I like this guy because he can get off the press and we need that against teams that play physical.

Thanks for the contrast.

This draft is too stacked to not get a top pass rusher. I can't imagine going into a draft this strong on outside perimeter players, particularly pass rushers, and not take the utmost advantage of it, only harvesting minimal reward.

Move Jenkins to corner and he will be lucky to get into the top trio, Jabari's talent level would have to literally fall off a cliff due to age. He certainly will not beat out Greer and P-rob in a man heavy scheme, and if CW shows him any sense of competition Jenkins would be on the bubble and likely face being on the final 53 cut down.

I'm projecting Elam as a mid 2nd, alot of corners and safeties will drop in this draft, but everyone is blowing up their value. I hate hate hate to hear the Saints are looking at WR, CB, S, and NT's because I don't want them to take anything but a pass rusher 1st. Addressing the other areas afterwards is fine by me. I would be okay with a nose in the 1st but the dice roll is so heavy on that.

I'll pass on that. I will say this though, I absolutely LOVE the Butler pickup. I hope we target him.

Even though Bass is a 5th rounder...i think he is the sleeper of the draft. I've been rewatching the east west shrine game. The guy sheds blocks like its nobodys business. You see Rob likes to switch to a 4man front. Right now we are projecting that Gallete can stand up. However we KNOW he can rush from a 4 man front. So thats why im projecting that Bass can stand up.

Check him out when u get a chance i think he can play ROLB/DE for us. Victor Butler/Wilson we know can stand up. Im also PROJECTING that Rob Ryan will coach those guys up. Its the main reason why im not taking a pass rusher early in the draft. Rob Ryan knows how to manufacture pressure. So using that theory i think we are in good hands with Galette,Wilson,Butler,Bass/Broughton/Romeus as guys who can be our rush players. With Bass being my Sleeper pick to be a BEAST

This draft is too stacked to not get a top pass rusher. I can't imagine going into a draft this strong on outside perimeter players, particularly pass rushers, and not take the utmost advantage of it, only harvesting minimal reward.

Move Jenkins to corner and he will be lucky to get into the top trio, Jabari's talent level would have to literally fall off a cliff due to age. He certainly will not beat out Greer and P-rob in a man heavy scheme, and if CW shows him any sense of competition Jenkins would be on the bubble and likely face being on the final 53 cut down.

I'm projecting Elam as a mid 2nd, alot of corners and safeties will drop in this draft, but everyone is blowing up their value. I hate hate hate to hear the Saints are looking at WR, CB, S, and NT's because I don't want them to take anything but a pass rusher 1st. Addressing the other areas afterwards is fine by me. I would be okay with a nose in the 1st but the dice roll is so heavy on that.

Pass rushers are no sure shot drafting 1st. We aren't hurting for a passrush. The object of switching to a 3-4 is to get guys like Wilson/Galette on the field MORE. So i don't see a passrusher as our primary need...but thats just my opinion.

Any guy that we bring in with the 1st pick is going to come in 3rd on the depth chart @ OLB anyway behind Galette/Wilson. Throw in Victor Butler and he is lucky to come in 4th. The draft is so deep with passrushers u can find one later and thats the route i took...but im putting faith in Victor Butler/Martez Wilson/Junior Gallete/ as our big 3.

Jenkins you are right..this will be the last time i vision myself putting him @ Corner. With IAQ being a restricted FA i like the fact of him breathing down MJ's neck. If MJ wasn't good enough to be a Man corner in 3G's scheme then it won't work in this one. Touche on that.

Elam in my opinion won't get past the patriots. An elite safety in a 3-4 scheme is a must....its why the pats have been looking for one since Rodney Harrison left. I am going to Gamble with all of our picks but i also think Elam has first round talent. So with trading Harper a former 2nd rounder id much rather replace him with a 1st rounder. From that point it boils down to preference in the Safety class and i have one for Elam. So getting a 2nd rounder with a trade back allows us to reach a bit on our first pick. However that 1st pick is an important part in turning this defense around. Elam it is for me.

Pass Rushers and Nose Tackles have Major bust potential in the 1st round. Its why i wait till later rounds to fill both needs and sign Aubrayo Franklin and Victor Butler to offset that. Butler comes in as a productive passrusher waiting on a shot and with knowledge of the scheme. Franklin comes in with familiarity with the organization and the 3-4 defense fits him.

The object of the trades are logical.. U might not agree with the compensation and thats fine..then ill adjust accordingly but they make sense.

Trading Harper to the Titans makes sense because they have a need @ SS. Roman fits the SS postion in a 4-3 better than he does in a 3-4. He will be expected to be in coverage a lot more in this scheme. We eat the bonus money but free up some cash as well. We also get him out of the NFC which makes sense because we get him far away from us.

As far as Ivory trading him to the Colts make sense....id prefer if it isn't anyone in the NFC. The colts do have a RB need. We might not get a 4th so i might still be aiming to high. However a late 4th rounder for a RB to add to a 2man rotation isn't bad. Perhaps in my next draft ill aim for a 5th since i tend to take things like trade value into consideration.

The trade back with the Rams makes sense for two reasons. If lane Johnson slips to us they could Trade with us and land him. Then take say Kenny Vaccaro with their next pick since they would be back to back. They get the Safety they need and the Left Tackle they need with back to back picks.

Money doesn't make sense with Harper a trade. Also his relationship with the coaches and leadership in the locker room make it even more unlikely for a trade. With the way the bush trade was handled, the saints obviously take into consideration what te players want and I seriously doubt Harper wants to go play for Gregg Williams after what he did to the players. If the Titans were to value Harper that much to go after him, then he's obviously a good player, that the saints can't afford to lose.

And finally, in what world does Harper no fit in as Safety in a 3-4? Go back to 2010 and 2011. Harper's sacks and biggest plays were made in various forms of the 3-4. He was moved up into an OLB position to rush the passer and was also solid in covering TE's. Spags never used him in coverage.

Whats with you..if i retaliate im going to own you..u know that right. I prefer to argue if u have specific points but i don't like to be irritated. Just a warning sir:9:

Draft prospect - ELLIAS J WILLIAMS
Slow first step, but hustle player. Keeps after it and refuses to be taken out of the play. Awareness is a question, but he gives 110%

Green thumb :9:

Money doesn't make sense with Harper a trade. Also his relationship with the coaches and leadership in the locker room make it even more unlikely for a trade. With the way the bush trade was handled, the saints obviously take into consideration what te players want and I seriously doubt Harper wants to go play for Gregg Williams after what he did to the players. If the Titans were to value Harper that much to go after him, then he's obviously a good player, that the saints can't afford to lose.

And finally, in what world does Harper no fit in as Safety in a 3-4? Go back to 2010 and 2011. Harper's sacks and biggest plays were made in various forms of the 3-4. He was moved up into an OLB position to rush the passer and was also solid in covering TE's. Spags never used him in coverage.

Just my opinion we need a STUD SS in the 3-4 and i don't think of Roman Harper as that. I also don't like the fact of keeping the SAME two starting Safeties from the Worst Defense in the league. Thats my main reason for Trading Harper. He goes to a team that can use him and we get some NEW BLOOD on the back end. I like the fact of IAQ either starting or breathing down MJ's neck in his contract year. However as a coach for me to put MJ and Harper back their together again after your former DB coach said he would attack the weakest link (those guys) id be nuts.

So yeah thats my logic behind at least getting rid of one of them.

Its all about scheme. Cover corners and safeties are more important to Robs scheme just as GW's scheme then pass rushers. He blitzes so many that pressure is bound to occur just by numbers.

But in these aggressive schemes, if you can't cover the receivers, the pressure means nothing.

We're going CB/safety/OT in the first round. You can bet on it.

Draft prospect - ELLIAS J WILLIAMS
Slow first step, but hustle player. Keeps after it and refuses to be taken out of the play. Awareness is a question, but he gives 110%

Green thumb :9:

LSSpam Detailed Scouting report.

- Small school prospect with good production but @ age 30 offers VERY limited upside

- quick first step and excellent speed around the corner however due stamina/endurance issues is only a factor on 1 down per half

**would not draft due to huge character concerns. Has the potential to cause a pacman jones sized headache.

Draft projection : (UDFA) Seattle Seahawks

There is no telling what we will do in the draft.......I'm for trading a RB, but insert Ingram in place of Ivory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom