EJW Mock Draft "after" Rob Ryan Hiring (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
EJW Mock Draft after Rob Ryan Hiring

I have 3 trades taking place in this draft.

Roman Harper to the Titans for a 5th rounder and conditional 4th rounder nxt year.

Chris Ivory gets signed and traded to the Colts for their late 4th rounder

We trade from 15 with the Rams for their 22nd n 47th pick in the draft.

1st Matt Elam - SS Younger brother of Abe Elam. Most likely our 1st pick after Roman Harpers departure

2nd Tavarres King - WR People have been clamoring for another deep threat. Here is the guy

3rd Leon Mcfadden - CB - Kid is a good. Jabari is on his last year and Patrick Robinson is inconsistent. He provides future insurance/replacement for both.

4th Zavier Gooden - WILB - Heat seeking Missle with the frame to add more pounds. Will come in and compete with Hawthorne and play special teams. Will also fill Casillas Nickel role if we let him walk.

4th Terron Armstead - LT - The only guy who held Bass in check@ the shrine game. Late round prospect with high upside

5th David Bass -DE/OLB - The sleeper of the draft for me. Sheds blocks, has good edge speed, mixes power with speed,

5th Montori Hughes - NT - Had a good week@ the shrine game but then got injured.

6th Jake Stoneburner -TE - Seldom used once Urban Meyer got to Ohio. Has soft hands and is a former receiver.

FA//Victor Butler SOLB

FA/Abram Elam FS

FA/Aubrayo Franklin -NT

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I just don't see us getting that high of a pick for Harper. I do know that most people think he's average at best and horrible at worst and even an average safety isn't worth a 5th. Not really a fan of the first round pick, but again it depends on whose available. Same goes for the 2nd round pick, I'd rather draft a tackle or another defensive player. Not a bad draft overall, though.

I don't think Gooden fits a 3-4

He does. Ive read several different scouting reports. Think Darnell Ellerbee who was also projected to be a WLB in a 4-3 before the ravens drafted him.

He can cover RB's out of the backfield and has the frame to put on 10 more lbs.

Also when we shift our Dlinemann to create 4 man fronts...he would end up being the WLB in the formation either way.

This draft will never happen. Good luck though. :9:Let the red thumbs come! I Welcome thee!!

I won't red thumb you lol...i don't red thumb people for posting opinions.

Anyhow why don't u see the draft happening? Due to the trades? Everyone is right about where they are valued and we add depth on Offense and get some new faces on Defense

There is logic behind the first 4 picks as well.

Matt Elam because we need a SS and due to Rob coaching his brother Abe Elam we would have insight on him
Tavarres King/Leon Mcfadden/Zavier Gooden all met with us during east west shrine game/senior bowl so they could be targets.

That's a lot of speculation, but I commend you for it. Im actually starting to think that Kenny Vaccaro could become a possibility with our 1st rounder. A strong backend is essential when you blitz and leave your corners on an island. That being said, I could definitely see us drafting a safety early. I really like Cooper Taylor out of Richmond or Ray-Ray Armstrong the former Hurricane. Those two could be tenacious safety/line backer tweeners. If we run any kind of a 46 hybrid with our 3-4, either of those guys would be great grabs in the draft.

First let me say that I love Elam. I think the safety position is our biggest need and we can see changes in both of our starters.

Now, considering our cap structure and multiple needs, I do think that if we are going to spend wisely, I can see the saints going for safety and tight end as free agency targets. In a few words, they come cheaper. We all love the BPA policy, but it has its limits.

I would use our first rounder in a position of need, that it will cost a lot of money to fill in free agency. The more I think about it, left tackle may be the position to go. Lane Johnson may be the way to go.

That's a lot of speculation, but I commend you for it. Im actually starting to think that Kenny Vaccaro could become a possibility with our 1st rounder. A strong backend is essential when you blitz and leave your corners on an island. That being said, I could definitely see us drafting a safety early. I really like Cooper Taylor out of Richmond or Ray-Ray Armstrong the former Hurricane. Those two could be tenacious safety/line backer tweeners. If we run any kind of a 46 hybrid with our 3-4, either of those guys would be great grabs in the draft.

If you look@ Rob Ryans track record the teams he's been with have a history of drafting Safeties and corners.

I have a man crush on Elam. Id like him to hit every WR/RB in our division like he hits. He is a true enforcer and is a VERY smart kid. Drafting him and Signing his brother Abe in FA would be very possible/logical.

Ultimate Matt Elam Highlights | HD - YouTube

We aren't trading Harper, we will restructure his contract. Ivory we may get a 5th at best. I think we go corner in the first with Rhodes or Banks.

First let me say that I love Elam. I think the safety position is our biggest need and we can see changes in both of our starters.

Now, considering our cap structure and multiple needs, I do think that if we are going to spend wisely, I can see the saints going for safety and tight end as free agency targets. In a few words, they come cheaper. We all love the BPA policy, but it has its limits.

I would use our first rounder in a position of need, that it will cost a lot of money to fill in free agency. The more I think about it, left tackle may be the position to go. Lane Johnson may be the way to go.

Yeah i didn't do a depth chart and i also forgot to sign an extra LT to replace the departure of bushrod.

I went with Elam first because as ive said...the majority of the teams that Ryan have been on have drafted a Safety or CB with their 1st pick.

ID sign Winston Justice/Sam Baker for cheap and draft Terron Armstead in the 4th. That gives us 3 LT's for a cheaper rate then it would cost to retain Bushrod

Im also advocating sending Jenkins back to CB and promoting Quddus to FS and signing Abe Elam to back him up and resigning Rafael Bush to backup Elam@ SS. Giving us a new starting safety tandem. Backfield would look like such

FS IAQ/Abe Elam
SS Matt Elam/Rafael Bush
Boundary corner Malcolm Jenkins/Corey White
Field Corner Patrick Robinson/Jabari Greer/Leon Mcfadden

Solid depth everywhere in the backfield. Jenkins/White give us those big corners on the outside

Thats my vision at least.

Just my opinion, but I don't see the Saints taking a WR that high in this draft. We were the 3rd ranked offense this past year and I think we have the WRs that will be on the roster next year already on the roster this year, unless we grab someone late who makes the team. I have a feeling Sean Payton is tired of seeing the defense not up to snuff and will want to rebuild it with early picks (not like they haven't tried, but it's time they get a few homeruns on D this year). Of course you never know what will happen with free agency or who will fall in the draft, but I just don't see the Saints grabbing any offensive players early, unless someone is there that they never thought would be there. I can't help but think that Payton and company almost assume they will find their diamond in the rough every year either late in the draft or in undrafted free agency.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I just don't see us getting that high of a pick for Harper. I do know that most people think he's average at best and horrible at worst and even an average safety isn't worth a 5th. Not really a fan of the first round pick, but again it depends on whose available. Same goes for the 2nd round pick, I'd rather draft a tackle or another defensive player. Not a bad draft overall, though.

Not a fan of the 1st pick but it makes a ton of sense. Rob Ryan has a track record of bringing in Safeties and Corners. Tyvonn Branch, Nnamdi, TJ Ward,Mo Claiborne, Joe Haden

Elam fits the TJ Ward role well and can play in the box, man, hit, and deep coverage. He is also the brother of Abe Elam who Ryan has coached in two different spots. I used a lot of logic behind the pick.

You might not like Elam but he is the enforcer we need and i like him better than Vaccaro...who had a better passrush than elam had@ florida.

We aren't trading Harper, we will restructure his contract. Ivory we may get a 5th at best. I think we go corner in the first with Rhodes or Banks.

I have a draft for that happening.

The reason i went with that is because Roman doesn't fit as a SS in Ryans scheme. It may seem like it but the safeties in Ryan's scheme are supposed to be interchangeable.

Roman is strictly an in the box safety and fits better in the 4-3 role than the 3-4. U need a playmaker @ SS in the 3-4 and Roman isn't that. I also didn't go that route because having the worst safety tandem in the league is no small order. U have to put 2 new guys back there....u have too...but here is my draft for if we keep Roman

1st Xavier Rhodes - CB
2nd Tavarres King -WR
3rd Brandon Williams -NT
4th Zavier Gooden - WILB

4th David Bass - DE/OLB - Animal. I compare him to T-sizzle. HEs got good bend, good hand usage, creates turnovers. And can stand up or put his hand in the dirt. Giving us a 3/4 to 4/3 look instantly

5th Terron Armstead - LT - The only guy who held my 4th round choice David Bass in check@ the east west shrine game

5th Kyle Juszczyk TE/FB/

6th Cooper Taylor-SS

This is if we decide to keep the same safety tandem.

FS Jenkins/IAQ
SS Harper/Taylor

The only thing i don't like about this is its the Same safety tandem that has been not too good for the last 3 years. Do u want to give them yet another chance..when the back end on this defense is much more important?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom