EJW's (see what i did there?) 2013 Offseaon Projection : Final (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
EJW's (see what i did there?) 2013 Offseason Projection : Final

My friends/fellow who dats.

The offseason has been fun and it hasn't even gotten started yet. Its already on course to make us forget about last offseason. Seeing the forums filled with so much discussion unrelated to the bounty mess almost brings a tear to my eyes.

This will be my final offseaon projection Defense/Offense. At least until after FA so lets dive right in.

These are some basic notes b4 hand on wht u can expect.

*Quddus is still not a starter..but because hes a restricted FA next year we will be able to keep him if Jenkins doesn't pan out so he is a hell of an insurance policy.

*Roman Harper/Will Smith/Jabari Greer all restructure(if you don't have any good players to replace them with....or money to spend in FA to replace them....u don't cut them. This is even more important because of the scheme switch and the lack of draft picks. Cutting guys like Roman Harper and Will Smith would mean we would have to sign/draft replacements for depth. We don't need to CREATE holes..that we already can't fill for cap/draft pick reasons)

*Hawthorne does get cut

*Bushrod is allowed to walk and we don't sign another Tackle in FA (this will up our chances@ a compensatory nxt year) Charles Brown will be given the opportunity to be the next man up...however he will see some competition.

* if u don't see a player on this list we either allowed him to leave via FA or he doesn't make the roster.

*We hire Todd Grantham as the D-coordinator because of his experience with the read option AND overseeing a SUCCESSFUL switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 down in Georgia.

* Ivory does get traded for a 5th rounder. Same as reggie and im going to call it to the Colts. Who are in desperate need of another guy in the backfield. They don't have anyone outside of Donald Brown that rings a bell.

FA Aquisitions

Bryan Thomas - SOLB
Paris Lenon - MLB
FS - Ed Reed

**Defensive Veterans all have 3-4 experience.

Draft:

1st - Lane Johnson. He will provide instant competiton to Brown. Letting him know this is his one shot to stay healthy and prove he belongs. If not...we have our fall back option for next year and we can let Brown Walk.

3rd - Robert Alford - CB SE Louisiana Its hard to find good corners deeper in the draft. Greer is getting long in the tooth and might not make it past this year. Robinson also needs to show hes consistent enough to remain a starting corner for us. This pick looks toward the future. He is the down the road replacement for Greer/Robinson.

4th - Devin Taylor DE/OLB South Carolina A little higher than hes projected but think Akiem Hicks last year. He has the measurables we begin to look@ later in rounds. He projects better as an Standup OLB and would also fill a need for SOLB depth as well..though he can play on both sides. Grantham also gives us a little insight on this player as they were both in the SEC.

5th - Kwame Geathers NT Georgia - Another prospect with good measurables but really raw. The guy stands up and gets moved off the ball a lot. With hicks doing some backup work@ NT we could bring Geathers along slowly and then allow him to replace Hicks next year in the NT rotation when hicks is moved to RDE.

5th - Denard Robinson QB/WR - Michigan - What a WR/QB but why? He can share kick return duties with Cadet and and also be the scout team QB.

6th - Ray Ray Armstrong SS Miami - The new breed of SS. We bring him in to be an understudy to harper. He is another look to the future pick as his size in theory should better allow us to match up with these athletic TE's. He isn't asked to start right away because of the presence of Harper so he can be humbled by playing ST his first year. Hes been out of FB a year so it would be the ideal situaton.

Offense*

QB - Brees/Daniels/Robinson - I know people are going to bomb me for Denard Robinson but this is for strategic purposes. I'm thinking about what SP said and this is just another way to help him grasp the read option. I doubt we install it on offense but having a QB as athletic as Robinson running it can only help our defense by giving them a good look. The scout team is important and Joe Vitt did mention last year that he wasn't too happy about it.

RB - Ingram/Sproles/Pierre/Cadet - Ingram is going to be looked@ to be the lead back to relieve Drew of some pressure. Expect our runniing game to look like the 2006 version. Ingram playing the deuce roll, Sproles playing the reggie role, and Pierre playing the Aaron Stecker role. Pierre is still our best 3rd down back as far as pass protection as Ingram hasn't proven he can do that consistently.

FB - Jed collins - He will probably be used more next year.

WR - Colston/Moore/Morgan/Toon/Henderson/Tanner - Devery is brought back because he can play XYZ positions in case of injury. I don't trust any of the other guys to be able to do that yet. So we bring henderson back for 1 more year as an insurance poilicy@ WR and also to help groom Morgan. Sign him to the veteran minimum.

TE - Graham/Thomas/Higgins - Thomas isn't the matchup problem that another young athletic TE could be if we drafted one but he is so versatile. He also caught a few TD's for us and will be another year removed from the concussion issue. He isn't high priced and is under contract for 1 more year. Higgins will be the 3rd TE. No need to draft one.

LT - Charles Brown/Lane Johnson - Much like bushrod Charles will have every opportunity to prove that he can start on this team this year. He was a 2nd rounder that the team has stuck with and he has gotten better in each year. Only problem is hes injured a lot. In comes lane Johnson. We are finally in a good position to draft a Tackle with our 1st round pick. Also because of the new rookie contracts it won't cost us an arm or leg in the present or future. Competition competition competition. If Charles Brown doesn't do well then we allow him to walk and we already have our replacement on deck.

LG - Ben Grubs/Andy Tiller - Pretty much set here.

C- Brian De La Puente - Isn't going anywhere. He will return cheap and is a solid option between Evans and Grubbs

RG - Jahri Evans/Andy Tiller - Same as above

RT- Zach Strief/Marcel Jones - Jones is a redshirt rookie that showed promise last year. He received the 1 year mulligan like most of the guys do that we see promise in. I know people are screaming what about RT but its not a NEED. Running the ball will help the entire offensive line look better. Including Strief.

Defense*

RDE - Will Smith/Akiem Hicks/Tom Johnson - There is no reason to create a depth issue along the line by cutting smith. HE is a prime candidate for restructure b4 anything. Since we don't have many draft picks instead of forcing HIcks into a starting role we can use him to spell the LDE/RDE position as well as the NT position with bunkley. Allowing us to bring along Geather slowly. When will is gone after next year then u move Hicks to RDE and move Geathers up to NT#2. Then we can draft for depth as well have a full round of picks/money. Will Smith also is familiar with the 3-4 scheme...another plus for him.

LDE- Cam Jordan/Akiem Hicks/Tyrunn Walker - Enough said this is about whats expected. Again Hicks can be used to spell Jordan. Walker will have another year to develope and can possibly move to #2 in the rotation next year and provide depth. Depending on how he pans out.

NT - Bunkley/Hicks/Geathers - The big 3. Bunkley can 2 gap...he will just need to be kept fresh. You guys can ease your worries and we get the NT we need later in the draft. Again hicks is capable of playing any position along the 3-4 front. Thats an asset and can be used to our advantage for at least 1 more year.

ROLB - Gallete/Broughton/Romeus - The latter two guys have shown enough promise for the team to keeep 1 around after a 2nd ACL tear and Broughton was just signed to a future contract. Im pretty sure he will be allowed to compete with Gallete. He and Romeus

RILB - Martez Wilson/Paris Lenon/Chamberlain - If you have read my threads you know my reason for this. I want this guy in the middle. He is our best tackler and i just think those talents go to waste being an edge rusher that may or may not get to the QB every play. In the middle he has the potential to effect every play...run or pass. Chamberlain is kept mainly for ST purposes. He was a ST demon first last year.

LILB - Curtis Lofton/Paris Lenon - Curtis would be responsible for the B gap. You know what that means?? More Curtis lofton in the backfield. The guy can make plays and we hadn't seen a MLB show those types of flashes since Vilma's first year.

LOLB - Bryan Thomas/Devin Taylor - Bryan Thomas would be an excellent stop gap. He has the size we need for the position and while he may not have had the amount of sacks that Shaun Phillips had...he also graded out much better in coverage/runstopping. Could come in and start for a year and come out in nickle situations giving way to Taylor.

CB (Boundary) - Malcolm Jenkins/Corey White - I went over this several times in my head and actually resisted moving him to CB and almost kept the same FS/SS combo for next year. Then it hit me. We've had the same safety combo for 2 years now and they have what...4 picks between them? Not going to cut it. We need a ballhawk @FS and while i would like to give Jenkins the benefit of the doubt...watching those highlight tapes i noticed one thing. He doesn't attack the ball..he attacks the ball carrier. I saw like 4 different plays where he went for the hit on the receiver(which i love) when the ball was in reach for him to make a play.

CB (field) Robinson/Greer/Alford - Id prolly prefer greer on the edges here but Robinson had already started to take over the primary receiver duties. If Malcolm is moved to CB as im suggesting then that means Greer would most likely go to the slot. Robinson could probably play it better as the nickel CB is Granthams D is like a utility tool. Responsible for blitzing on some plays and coverage in other. With robinsons speed hed be better in the slot than Greer. Alford would provide excellent depth. Wouldn't need to come right in and start.

FS Ed Reed/IAQ - We needed a ballhawk so we went after one. Sometimes to develop that instinct@ FS it can take years. some guys can come right in and do it "Jairus Byrd" some guys don't figure it out. Instead of wondering if Jenkins can make the leap we go ahead and bring in Reed to see if we can duplicate the Sharper story. In theory Ed Reed would allow us to play Roman Harper to his advantages. We don't draft a FS as IAQ has shown he can start but provides valuable depth. He is also a restriced FA so that basically guarantees hes coming back. We can then just draft a FS next year.

SS - Roman Harper/Ray Ray Armstrong - We were seen looking @ some safeties @the East West Shrine and Senior bowl so im making a strong assumption that we will be drafting a safety and it will probably be to succeed Harper. We all know harpers problems but i stick by him being a good safety.....he just has to be used better. HE was a two time Pro Bowler under Williams.......thats how he should be used.

That about sums it up. Its as well thought out as i can get and should please just about everybody. We keep a lot of good players as well as add a few pieces to help us get over the hump. Combine that with the switch to the 3-4 and teams having no tape on us in that formation and i can see us being another team that switches to the 3-4 and sees instant results.

We don't have any depth issues in this scenario.

Team speed on Defense increases, we get our best passrushers on the field, bigger @ corner, and a ballhawk FS. Everything we needed to help this defense turn the corner.

**For all intents and purposes. I can see us NOT signing ed reed and leaving Malcolm Jenkins@ FS along with Harper @ SS and Quddus still serving his backup role. The only difference is instead of Robert Alford we would draft Blidi Wreh Wilson and have him and Corey White compete for boundary corner. Everything else would remain the same.

As usual Critique and enjoy.

Nice job-I've been screaming LT in the 1st round, unless by some miracle Lotulelei or Moore falls to us. Even then, with the cap constraints we are in, left tackle is a position we have hardly any depth at and is an expensive one to maintain. LTs make big money in FA. I would say the Saints (assuming Johnson works out) him to a very long contract the year after his rookie season to lock him up long term for the cheap.

But yeah, I think this is a very REALISTIC offseason projection.

Still not crazy about the coordinator or the fifth rounders.

Not sure about jenkins at CB either, but otherwise I think the other picks are solid and I like that fact that you attempted to take at least take one receiver.

Will Smith restructured last year, not sure you can restructure back to back years. The projections are the most realistic I've seen this offseason so far.

Lost me at Brown being the next man up at left tackle. Was going pretty good until that point. Brown would get Drew Brees killed. The Saints are going to have to invest in the offensive line without a doubt. They will either pay Bushrod or draft his replacement or bring in a FA.

I just cant get on board with not stealing a coordinator like Ray Horton from Pittsburgh or San Fransisco. Pittsburgh has even had the best D in the league the past two years.

I also didn't realize that you kept will smith.

I don't like Robinson at receiver and he really hasn't shown much Upside IMO. A player like Marquise Goodwin or Duron Carter would be more appealing in the late rounds.

Alright dude before I start to disagree with ya... Are you the big *** shirtless dude in your avatar?

I am massively not happy with yet another CB so early. Don't get me wrong. I am all for solid CB play and I think there is room for improvement, but my hard wiring has me looking at the DL first and foremost. It's the chicken AND the egg.

I like the 5th round picks and the 6th, the early ones not so much.

I think we keep Hawthorne and cut Smith. I think Bushrod returns but Ivory goes.

I just cant get on board with not stealing a coordinator like Ray Horton from Pittsburgh or San Fransisco. Pittsburgh has even had the best D in the league the past two years.

I also didn't realize that you kept will smith.

I don't like Robinson at receiver and he really hasn't shown much Upside IMO. A player like Marquise Goodwin or Duron Carter would be more appealing in the late rounds.

Here is the kicker....the 49ers run a scheme very similar to what Georgia does on the back end in coverage. Not sure about the fronts though. As far as Ray Horton...there is two of them? I thought he went to the browns?

Yes i kept smith and i think my explaination is durable. City brought it to my attention that you may or may not be able to restructure 2 years in a row. I don't know how true that is but im was udner the impression u can restructure as many times as you want.

Anyhow....releasing smith would just create a hole that you u have to project another player into. Be it Hicks or a FA or draft pick. Will Smith on the other hand has played in a defense (3g) with 3-4 elements...hes not completely unfamiliar. So in order to keep your dline a strength u restructure and resign....or you cut and resign. Either way i think Will Smith remains a Saint next year...either starting or for depth.

As far as robinson i think i explained it best here

QB - Brees/Daniels/Robinson - I know people are going to bomb me for Denard Robinson but this is for strategic purposes. I'm thinking about what SP said and this is just another way to help him grasp the read option. I doubt we install it on offense but having a QB as athletic as Robinson running it can only help our defense by giving them a good look. The scout team is important and Joe Vitt did mention last year that he wasn't too happy about it.

I see him as more of a scout QB team QB that can offer direct competition to Cadet as a KR. Again im thinking strategical. Here is another kicker.

Denard Robinson is a LEFT HANED QB ala Sean Canfield and you know how Sean loves to have left handed throwers because they put a different spin on the ball.

To me it all fits but im taking Sean Payton seriously when he said he doesn't know enough about the read option. This would just be another tool to help him learn and no one currently on the team would be a better look than Robinson to give us a scout look @the read option.

We might draft a receiver but we have like 6udfa from last year still on the roster Saleem Hakim is another name to keep an eye on.

My opinion...If we draft a LT in the first round, then he damn well better be starting.

Charles Brown gets seniority for having already been on the team and already knowing the offense. However its just as likely that he can be beat out. thats the purpose of me drafting a LT this high it puts Charles Brown on notice. Hes shown flashes. We cant lose either way no matter who is starting. If Charles Brown shows hes capable of beating him out then that fares better for him. For a look into the future if Charles Brown out plays his heart out and ask for a big contract we can let him walk...already having our future LT on the roster.

I like the 5th round picks and the 6th, the early ones not so much.

I think we keep Hawthorne and cut Smith. I think Bushrod returns but Ivory goes.

Anyone questioning why i keep cutting Hawthorne its only due to personal preference for having Martez on the inside. I also don't think Hawthorne earned a 4mil increase in salary....and also saw Yasinkas(ikr) say he could possibly be a cap casualty.

With that being said...its just my take. If u want contrast ill say this...

Hawthorne will probably return and he and Lofton will man the middle. Martez and Junior will man the OLB and we will look for a veteran to come in and provide competion for Braylon Broughton and Romeus. Thats the feeling i get

I think if we get Grantham..he will view Martez as a Alex Olgetree type player with the ability to blitz the a gap and use his 4.45 speed to pursue sideline to sideline as well as drop into coverage. He hasn't shown me enough as a passrusher...but hes a good blitzer.

Alright dude before I start to disagree with ya... Are you the big *** shirtless dude in your avatar?

lol nahhh..... Thats Aaron Maybin

Still not crazy about the coordinator or the fifth rounders.

Not sure about jenkins at CB either, but otherwise I think the other picks are solid and I like that fact that you attempted to take at least take one receiver.

**For all intents and purposes. I can see us NOT signing ed reed and leaving Malcolm Jenkins@ FS along with Harper @ SS and Quddus still serving his backup role. The only difference is instead of Robert Alford we would draft Blidi Wreh Wilson and have him and Corey White compete for boundary corner. Everything else would remain the same.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/teamcume.html

Georgia allowed 19pts per game and allowed under 170 passing yds per game. Playing against teams that run the read option. Chip Kelly/read option is the next big thing. If kelly says hes looking for a coach with shutoutability and then tries to hire Todd Granthem then he must have tremendous respect for this guy.

In a perfect scenario Rob Ryan doesn't get a Dcoordinator job and is forced to take a lower level position.

We hire Grantham as DC and allow him to bring his DB coach with him for the above reasons. Allow vitt to continue to coach the LB's(ikr??but he can only teach what hes told to teach so?) and hire Rob Ryan as our d-line coach. Less face time but we could use a personality like his coaching the Dline. I want these guys to be nasty and aggressive.

Will Smith restructured last year, not sure you can restructure back to back years. The projections are the most realistic I've seen this offseason so far.

Thanks i tried to be as realistic as possible. Especially in regards to drafting Denard Robinson. Hes left handed and he can run the read option. There is no one on our roster that could give our defense the look that Robinson could give us...and he could double as a KR.

Im all about competition and except for the starters that are established ie Grugs, Evants etc etc. I provided competition@ Nearly every position...and a little Projecting with Martez Wilson on the inside...though i really don't think they will move him unless we actually get Grantham. Which would mean id be 2-2 calling our offseason moves so far.

LT is not a sexy pick, so everyone is going to get mad about that pick. If you do not have depth/skill at that position, you can hang up being one of the top offenses in the NFL. There's only so much DB can do, if he has no protection, he's no better than any other QB. I actually think it's possible the Saints trade up to get Fisher if he's on the board at 10. If AZ passes on him, I think we move up to get him, otherwise the trade costs too much. Sucks because if we had our 2nd, we could get a really good pass rusher in the 2nd. Oh well, who knows...I'm sure SP has something ready.

However, if AZ DOES pick Fisher and SD picks Johnson, the talent drop-off is tremendous. I think we then move to Ziggy, JJ, Jordan, or Mingo...whichever is available at #15.

LT is not a sexy pick, so everyone is going to get mad about that pick. If you do not have depth/skill at that position, you can hang up being one of the top offenses in the NFL. There's only so much DB can do, if he has no protection, he's no better than any other QB. I actually think it's possible the Saints trade up to get Fisher if he's on the board at 10. If AZ passes on him, I think we move up to get him, otherwise the trade costs too much. Sucks because if we had our 2nd, we could get a really good pass rusher in the 2nd. Oh well, who knows...I'm sure SP has something ready.

It took me some time to warm up but im trying to be very logical here. Bushrod is likely gone..and Brown is an UNRESTRICTED FA next year. What better way to prepare for that by Drafting a tackle @ that spot. The draft is deep with passrushers so its plausible that u can find one later in the draft. Since we are switchiing to the 3-4 it gives us flexibility in looking for PASSRUSHERS and not just a 4-3 style DE. Difference is passrushers come in all shapes and sizes and we don't have our hands tied behind our backs anymore.

Also i didn't want to do any trading back. So i tried to think what would be best player available@ this point and a potential need. LT as this draft isn't deep with them and like i said u can find a passrusher to fit the 3-4 in the 4th round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom