Elden Ring (1 Viewer)

Question, i'm currently using the samurai sword (Uchi...) and a shield. Should i ditch the shield? I've been upgrading vigor, endurance, dex, and strength. Any mistakes here? I was a vagabond.

Question, i'm currently using the samurai sword (Uchi...) and a shield. Should i ditch the shield? I've been upgrading vigor, endurance, dex, and strength. Any mistakes here? I was a vagabond.

Unless you're really good at timing your rolls then there are some enemies you absolutely want a shield for. The starter shield for Samurai isn't great since it doesn't reduce 100% of physical damage but you can pretty easily find a Brass Shield off of the enemies that carry them in the Gatefront Ruins.

Early on you want to try to focus on the main stat for your weapon of choice (you'll get more out of the Uchigatana focusing Dex), Endurance till you're comfortable with your stamina and Vigor for HP. That said, you're bound to find something really cool that you want to try but don't have the stats for. You'll be able to respec eventually so early mistakes don't matter much.

I’ve found this one to be much easier than some of their Souls games. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed and it's not because they made it easier, it's because they finally made Souls combat without the terrible input delay. Sekiro was hard but the combat was super tight. Dark Souls was hard but the combat was so disjointed that I could hit RB and go make a sandwich before the attack came out. DS3 combat was a lot better but still suffered from some of the same problems. I absolutely hated using great swords in DS but I was rocking a Lordsworn's Greatsword for the first 35 levels and now a Claymore in Elden Ring and I love it.

Unless you're really good at timing your rolls then there are some enemies you absolutely want a shield for. The starter shield for Samurai isn't great since it doesn't reduce 100% of physical damage but you can pretty easily find a Brass Shield off of the enemies that carry them in the Gatefront Ruins.

Early on you want to try to focus on the main stat for your weapon of choice (you'll get more out of the Uchigatana focusing Dex), Endurance till you're comfortable with your stamina and Vigor for HP. That said, you're bound to find something really cool that you want to try but don't have the stats for. You'll be able to respec eventually so early mistakes don't matter much.

Agreed and it's not because they made it easier, it's because they finally made Souls combat without the terrible input delay. Sekiro was hard but the combat was super tight. Dark Souls was hard but the combat was so disjointed that I could hit RB and go make a sandwich before the attack came out. DS3 combat was a lot better but still suffered from some of the same problems. I absolutely hated using great swords in DS but I was rocking a Lordsworn's Greatsword for the first 35 levels and now a Claymore in Elden Ring and I love it.
They didn't brought the best fundamental aspects from Sekiro.. Tighter and faster combat.

Loving my samurai build.

They didn't brought the best fundamental aspects from Sekiro.. Tighter and faster combat.

Loving my samurai build.

No but you have much more freedom than you did in Sekiro so that's the trade-off. With most every weapon type having a different move set, Sekiro style combat would have made them all feel too similar. You could weave in prosthetics but Elden Ring's weapon arts add much more variety.

The only complaint I have about it with Elden Ring is there's a steep learning curve to learning how to time your blocks. The animation for just raising your shield takes a long time. Maybe I just played too much Sekiro and not enough Dark Souls.

I respec'd last night and started rocking a Tree Spear I found earlier in my playthrough. Got it up to +13 and it's awesome. Being able to attack while keeping your shield up (I believe this works with all thrusting weapons) makes a big difference. Currently around Lvl55 and working on Ranni's quest with two Great Runes in hand. Kinda putting off working on Altus Plateau and the main story to do side stuff.

No but you have much more freedom than you did in Sekiro so that's the trade-off. With most every weapon type having a different move set, Sekiro style combat would have made them all feel too similar. You could weave in prosthetics but Elden Ring's weapon arts add much more variety.

The only complaint I have about it with Elden Ring is there's a steep learning curve to learning how to time your blocks. The animation for just raising your shield takes a long time. Maybe I just played too much Sekiro and not enough Dark Souls.

I respec'd last night and started rocking a Tree Spear I found earlier in my playthrough. Got it up to +13 and it's awesome. Being able to attack while keeping your shield up (I believe this works with all thrusting weapons) makes a big difference. Currently around Lvl55 and working on Ranni's quest with two Great Runes in hand. Kinda putting off working on Altus Plateau and the main story to do side stuff.
💯 agreed. I rock the Moonveil and Night and Flame sword mostly but have so many favorites. Moonveil maxed, currently I’m a level 190 and still loving every second. Amazing game.

150 hours in, level 200 and STILL dying, STILL finding new locations. Man what a game!

Attachments

• DAF82330-F9FF-4FC1-9A0D-24108E32B6A3.jpeg
    DAF82330-F9FF-4FC1-9A0D-24108E32B6A3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
My verdict Samurai >>> Confessor build
My play style is to get powerful enough to be adept at all of them.

My stepson is also loving the game and has restarted about ten times…each time after many hours and levels. Now his save file is corrupted….starting over again.

He’s on my PS5 I’m on the Series X. I couldn’t start over even once, let alone multiple times. Idk why he doesn’t just re roll his stats…..to each their own tho.

My play style is to get powerful enough to be adept at all of them.

My stepson is also loving the game and has restarted about ten times…each time after many hours and levels. Now his save file is corrupted….starting over again.

He’s on my PS5 I’m on the Series X. I couldn’t start over even once, let alone multiple times. Idk why he doesn’t just re roll his stats…..to each their own tho.
Yeah, but that's an absurd amount of grinding, but there is a ton of farms. So, it's not bad.

Yeah, but that's an absurd amount of grinding, but there is a ton of farms. So, it's not bad.
Agreed. And it sucked.
I just did the bird grind over and over, very monotonous but has allowed me to enjoy all that I’ve wanted to, gear wise and play style wise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom