Election Aftermath Thread (1 Viewer)

TPS, you left off perhaps the biggest winner from yesterday. Howard DEAN!!! WE'RE GOING TO VIRGINIA, MONTANA, and MISSOURRI TO TAKE BACK THE SENATE!!! YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAARRRRAAAAAARRRGHHRRRRAAAAAa!!!

But because she is the lightning rod that she is, I don't think she'll ever be able to get elected President.

That's my issue with her. Unlike many people i'm not of the opinion that far-left or even far-right policies are nessecarily the end of the world as we know it. What bothers me more is the inherent and accepted dishonesty and divisiveness of politics nowdays. Misrepresenting your opponents position and demonizing him is considered ok.

Hillary, fairly or unfairly, would only make that worse. It would be a disaster to have two polarizing characters like Clinton and Frist run. Utter disaster.

If it was McCain vs Obama, I feel we'd be much better off, even though Obama is further left then Clinton actually is. The political stance doesn't bother me half as much as the destructive attitudes towards the political process so many politicians seem to have.

It was clear Perry was gonna win. Neither independent was strong enough and Bell seemed to start real politicking too late. You have a point on the straight ticket voting. As I waited in line, I noticed many people taking like 10 seconds to vote.

Don't blame me for Perry. I voted for Werner.

I knew Perry was going to win, I just hoped it would have been closer with one of the independents coming in second place. It would have been nice to put a scare into both parties, but that didn't happen. This election just showed them that they can count on people to continue to push the "R" or the "D" without thought. There will be no change in Texas politics in the near future, unfortunately.

I voted for Kinky. It was the best way I could say, "You all stink."

Well I liked what I saw in Dean last night. He was cautious and wasn't jumping up and down and patting people on the back. That was the guy I hoped would be our next President had he not freaked in 2004. He had one of the most centrist voting records in the history of governors, but he had some crazy streaks inside apparently.

He promised these things, and I hope people will hold him accountable for seeing they get implemented:

1) Reversal of the Pell Grant cuts
2) Balanced Budgets
3) End of the 'culture of corruption'
4) A re-examination of Iraq War policy (stabilize the situation before leaving)
5) Access to some type of baseline health coverage for the uninsured

He's on record. People need to hold him to it.

TPS

I was going to vote for Kinky, until I watched the debate. Couldn't bring myself to do it after that so I voted for Bell.

Well I liked what I saw in Dean last night. He was cautious and wasn't jumping up and down and patting people on the back. That was the guy I hoped would be our next President had he not freaked in 2004. He had one of the most centrist voting records in the history of governors, but he had some crazy streaks inside apparently.

He promised these things, and I hope people will hold him accountable for seeing they get implemented:

1) Reversal of the Pell Grant cuts
2) Balanced Budgets
3) End of the 'culture of corruption'
4) A re-examination of Iraq War policy (stabilize the situation before leaving)
5) Access to some type of baseline health coverage for the uninsured

He's on record. People need to hold him to it.

TPS

I disliked Howard Dean. I felt he was one of those people who was inherently destructive in the political process that I talked about above. To use a Bush phrase that he turned into an utter joke, I want a "uniter, not a divider"

Frankly the politics of such a person is relatively incidental to the process.

"Vote Kinky: Everyone else is Stinky!"

Actually his campaign slogans were, "Why the Hell not?" and "How hard can it be." Sadly, it struck a chord with me.

If you think the progressive tax causes recessions. Which it doesn't. The deficit is the most significant threat to our economy right now, so says the Great Alan Greenspan.

The Cato Institute thinks so (and most economists too)...

How Rising Tax Burdens Can Produce Recession

by William C. Dunkelberg and John Skorburg​
William C. Dunkelberg is dean of the School of Business and Management at Temple University, and John Skorburg is chief economist for the Chicago Association of Commerce and Industry.​
This study presents solid statistical evidence demonstrating that taxes do harm the economy in a significant and consistent way. Since 1960 tax increases (measured by total tax receipts as a percentage of gross national product) have led to slowdowns in economic growth, and often to recessions. Likewise, when Washington has reduced federal tax burdens over the past 30 years, there has been a statistically significant positive economic and employment stimulus in the following year.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-148.html

I disliked Howard Dean. I felt he was one of those people who was inherently destructive in the political process that I talked about above. To use a Bush phrase that he turned into an utter joke, I want a "uniter, not a divider"

Frankly the politics of such a person is relatively incidental to the process.

Howard Dean did what no Democrat would have even thought of doing 3 years ago. He took Blue-Dog Democratic politics back into the rural heartland. He spent money in races that Democrats usually give up for dead before the campaign season even begins. Millions of voters across this country who hadn't seen a Democrat reach out for their vote in 15 years actually saw one this time. Dean doesn't believe in writing off the Red states.

The Cato Institute thinks so (and most economists too)...

How Rising Tax Burdens Can Produce Recession

by William C. Dunkelberg and John Skorburg​
William C. Dunkelberg is dean of the School of Business and Management at Temple University, and John Skorburg is chief economist for the Chicago Association of Commerce and Industry.​
This study presents solid statistical evidence demonstrating that taxes do harm the economy in a significant and consistent way. Since 1960 tax increases (measured by total tax receipts as a percentage of gross national product) have led to slowdowns in economic growth, and often to recessions. Likewise, when Washington has reduced federal tax burdens over the past 30 years, there has been a statistically significant positive economic and employment stimulus in the following year.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-148.html

That's fascinating.

You know what's really fascinating? What's REALLY interesting?

That study is from 1991 discussing the first Bush's tax increase. It was followed by more tax increases......and then the longest period of sustained economic growth ever experienced. Ever

They have to be wary of sending too much stuff the President's way that they know he won't sign, leaving themselves open to charges of being a do nothing Congress.

Best thing that could happen for this country. Gridlock rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom