Eli Apple a free agent again (1 Viewer)

I’m all for bringing Eli back for depth, but I truly don’t think Dennis Allen will be putting anyone in place to succeed. Not a fan of his coaching.
A big tell will be of Malcolm regresses once he’s back on the field with us.

I have mixed feelings about Dennis Allen. There still seems to be so much miscommunication and confusion out there. I mean, we're not talking about young guys playing in a new scheme. These guys have been in the system for years now. There shouldn't be that much confusion. And his end of half, end of regulation defense is baffling at times.

But at the same time the defense has been fairly consistent over the past three seasons. We've finally found that balance between offense and defense that we always dreamed of.

I have mixed feelings about Dennis Allen. There still seems to be so much miscommunication and confusion out there. I mean, we're not talking about young guys playing in a new scheme. These guys have been in the system for years now. There shouldn't be that much confusion. And his end of half, end of regulation defense is baffling at times.

But at the same time the defense has been fairly consistent over the past three seasons. We've finally found that balance between offense and defense that we always dreamed of.

Well stated. Perhaps if he could find a way to fix the constant miscommunication issues, the end of half and end of game train wrecks that we’ve become all too familiar with, I’d hold him in higher esteem.

Well stated. Perhaps if he could find a way to fix the constant miscommunication issues, the end of half and end of game train wrecks that we’ve become all too familiar with, I’d hold him in higher esteem.

And I know part of it is personnel. The players have to be held accountable as well. I'm hoping The Jenkins Bros can help with the communication issues in the Secondary. Hopefully they can provide some veteran leadership on and off the field.

The Secondary has been made up of young guys. When things are going according to plan they look great. They jump up beating their chest and they feed on that positive energy. But when things start getting sideways, the wheels fall off. The finger pointing and head shaking begins as the negative energy spreads.

Any player not doing everything they can to lock themselves into a deal right now is pretty crazy IMO, even if it's a little less than they want.

You have that right. A signing bonus right now is worth its weight in diamonds.

Just curious, what happens to players salaries if there is no season?

cut PJ and bring back Apple!
This would be a problem because PJ was brought back to play in the middle and I really think the team was impressed with his Safety play this last year. I think PJ got a lot of guarantee money in his contract. If they bring him back I might expect to see them trade a Safety, we’re starting to get heavy on them now.

And I know part of it is personnel. The players have to be held accountable as well. I'm hoping The Jenkins Bros can help with the communication issues in the Secondary. Hopefully they can provide some veteran leadership on and off the field.

The Secondary has been made up of young guys. When things are going according to plan they look great. They jump up beating their chest and they feed on that positive energy. But when things start getting sideways, the wheels fall off. The finger pointing and head shaking begins as the negative energy spreads.

I agree it isn’t ? coaching, but with how many other players leave and do better elsewhere...on D, it sure seems that coaching is the main culprit.

Also to your point about the finger pointing and head shaking, our defense seems to be anti clutch. No confidence and or ability to close out games when they’re needing a stop at the end. IMO.

Also to your point about the finger pointing and head shaking, our defense seems to be anti clutch. No confidence and or ability to close out games when they’re needing a stop at the end. IMO.

What causes this I wonder? Some defenses seem to thrive in big spots while others seem to tense up. I guess it all comes down to confidence. Confidence in your ability, your teammates, and the scheme.

I think we have some dogs on the defense that are able to rise to the occasion but the problem is they don't play in the Secondary. Again, I'm hoping the Jenkins Bros can help with that. And CGJ. I'm expecting a lot from those three. My expectations are probably unrealistic but it's fun to think about a Secondary that embraces the big moment instead of hoping the ball doesn't come their way.

What causes this I wonder? Some defenses seem to thrive in big spots while others seem to tense up. I guess it all comes down to confidence. Confidence in your ability, your teammates, and the scheme.

I think we have some dogs on the defense that are able to rise to the occasion but the problem is they don't play in the Secondary. Again, I'm hoping the Jenkins Bros can help with that. And CGJ. I'm expecting a lot from those three. My expectations are probably unrealistic but it's fun to think about a Secondary that embraces the big moment instead of hoping the ball doesn't come their way.

We definitely have at least one dog on defense, DD. Cam is too, although he’s kind of underwhelmed the last couple of playoff games imo. I’m sure that’s because of all the attention he gets.

Totally agree on Jenkins *2 and CGJ helping change our secondary culture. MJ is definitely one heck of a leader and dog even if I’m not a fan of his overall game. They should help.

Wouldn't mind at all if we brought Eli Apple back. He already knows the system and we need depth at the boundary CB position.
I think that ankle injury he sustained during the Bears game last season hindered him for the rest of the season. You could see he was slower to react to the plays. Hopefully if we bring him back he is fully recovered from his injury.

I agree it isn’t ? coaching, but with how many other players leave and do better elsewhere...on D, it sure seems that coaching is the main culprit.

What other players left and did better tho? MJ and PROb of the only ones I can think of on the D side and PRob only did better when he went to Philly for 1-2 years. Before that he was on two teams and he looked as bad as he looked when he left here.

I do agree tho the ability to close out when needed esp at the end of games is piss poor and it keeps happening which I don’t understand. It’s been three years now of DA doing that same prevent D that just isn’t working but I would say the bigger issue is clock management. Both DA and Payton are bad at managing the clock and the play that goes along w/ it as time is expiring. It’s like they have brain freezes and don’t know what to do when a small amount of time is on the clock. Payton always wants to throw the ball when he should run and DA always wants to spread out the D when he should press harder.

What other players left and did better tho? MJ and PROb of the only ones I can think of on the D side and PRob only did better when he went to Philly for 1-2 years. Before that he was on two teams and he looked as bad as he looked when he left here.

I do agree tho the ability to close out when needed esp at the end of games is piss poor and it keeps happening which I don’t understand. It’s been three years now of DA doing that same prevent D that just isn’t working but I would say the bigger issue is clock management. Both DA and Payton are bad at managing the clock and the play that goes along w/ it as time is expiring. It’s like they have brain freezes and don’t know what to do when a small amount of time is on the clock. Payton always wants to throw the ball when he should run and DA always wants to spread out the D when he should press harder.
Good points. Only can think of a few. Those two and Kenny. There are more but that would be going back to the Haslett days.
On the time management....
Sean also loving to call timeouts at the end of halves that almost always burns us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom