Eli Apple met with Saints. (1 Viewer)

If it came down to deciding between Apple and Jenkins, I'd roll with Jenkins regardless of cost. However, I would really like if they extended Jenkins to lessen his cap hit and resigned Apple. Both are much better than PJ and you can't have too many good CBs.

Eli Apple is GONE. You just saw Olsen get 7 million and he is washed and a young decent corner is going to get a at least 13 million.

The Taysom hype is just to let the league set the market for him and we will match it.

I suspect they will put a first round tender on Hill to discourage other teams from trying to sign him, but if someone offers him a big enough deal, the Saints are going to let him sign there a run away very happy with another 1st round pick. He's a good guy and a useful piece in the offense. He may even turn into a starting QB one day, but he isn't that yet and he's already 31 years old with a good bit of NFL milage on his body for taking hits playing offense and special teams. I think the team does want him back to be the backup QB and to use on offense, but there is a number that will happily let them get a first round pick.

Hill's value is so hard to peg. If you were just setting it based on him as a QB, he's not getting much of a contract, but when you look at his value as a utility player that plays all over the field he is worth a good bit more. The question is whether other teams value him as a QB or not?

Just find an every down spot for Chauncey and let the rest of the chips fall where they may,

If you bring Apple back at a decent salary and bring back Vonn Bell, CGJ can play in the slot where he is very good. And since we probably play nickle more than base 4-3, it's pretty much so an every down spot. Apple has his issue, but he has the talent and often plays great. His issue is consistency. If he can just become more consistent and cut down on the penalties, he would become a great #2 outside CB.

People acting like replacement players are sitting in a bucket by Loomis’s desk
It’s crazy

Guido - great point. When Pete told me that if the Saints got Burrow, SP was not afraid to begin a rebuild, it made me wonder why? So I looked at the UAs and RFAa we have this year and next. 17 of 22 starters and 9 key rotational players and little cap with much dead money being pushed forward. BayArea Saint and LC did some excellent work on how to keep the team together for one more year, which seems plausible from their superb work. But it includes somethings like letting Peat, Klein and Alonzo, Apple or maybe Jenkins walk. As you say, the replacement players for these are not hanging out at Salvation Army. They would be expensive. Even if we replace the lost players' skill levels, one of the key factors that has made this team regular season great over the last 2 years is depth. "One down, next man up." If we let 3-4 starters walk, we are going to suffer in the quality of our depth.

I thought he was older, but I guess I was wrong. I may have been thinking about how old he will be when he would get his first start if Brees retires after this year. Anyway, he still has a lot of wear a tear on his body from taking hits as read option QB and at receiver. Plus, at best, he will get his first shot a being a full time starting QB at age 31. (He'll be 30 in August of this year and turn 31 in camp next year.)

I can't think of any other successful QBs that were that old when they got their first shot. Which, of course, doesn't mean he can't do it, but it does mean the odds are a bit against him and it's clear he is going to have to improve his accuracy before he would really be a guy you want as your starting QB.

Anyway, I could be wrong, but I think he is so much more valuable to this team as a guy that plays multiple positions and can be used as a change of pace QB to run trick plays, read options, and possibly RPOs. When he is on the field he attracts attention away from Thomas and Kamara because he so often is the focus of the play when he is on the field.

All the physical skills in the world to be a top man CB, but lacking in either confidence or football IQ. At this point of his career, I doubt the deficiencies are fixable. If we have to pay him $10 mil, well let's go after slay at $14 mil.
Won't get Slay at $14 million. When someone on twitter estimated he would cost about $15-$16 million a year, he responded that that may be low.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom