Eli Apple on social media (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Really seems like the injury is not season ending. On a post he made today on instagram, people commented asking if he was ok and he liked many of the comments. He surely wouldn’t be doing that if he is out more than 2-3 weeks. Apple is very important to our defense, so that is good news

Really seems like the injury is not season ending. On a post he made today on instagram, people commented asking if he was ok and he liked many of the comments. He surely wouldn’t be doing that if he is out more than 2-3 weeks. Apple is very important to our defense, so that is good news

Huge.

That’s legitimately the difference between us being flexible at the deadline and needing to make a move for a CB.

Arizona’s O is a tough matchup to be missing Apple. But if we can grind out another W and he can come back after the bye? Best case scenario.

Depends on what he thinks his market value is. If he wants to sign for a team friendly deal, sure. But if he’s chasing the money and another team offers it, deuces.
Prior to the issue he has now, Apple would be the #1 CB for a good number of other teams in the NFL... he’d be #1 on Tampa, Atlanta, Philly, Oakland, and Kansas City to name a few.

Do we resign him since we didn’t exercise his option?

Yes. CB2 has been a weakness for quite a while and he might be the best CB2 we have had in recent history. If we don't resign him then we have to promote from within, not sure there is someone on the roster to take over a full time CB2 role. We'd have to spend a draft pick, sign via FA or trade for one if we don't resign. There probably isn't anyone out there in FA that would be better considering he would be going into his 2nd full season with us in 2020 and we shouldn't be chasing CB1 FAs when we have to pay Latt. We got a steal on the trade for Apple so to think we'd get a steal again is asking a lot. So yes, I think we resign him.

Apple's mom also posted a bunch today responding to people on how Eli is doing fine (I just think this is hilarious as a way to circumvent Shawn Peyton probably not saying -0 about the injury until next Sunday)

Prior to the issue he has now, Apple would be the #1 CB for a good number of other teams in the NFL... he’d be #1 on Tampa, Atlanta, Philly, Oakland, and Kansas City to name a few.
Correct which means he's as good as gone.

People need to stop with the team friendly deals. That's pie in the sky dreaming. His agent only has one job to do and it's not that.

I was disappointed we declined the option tbh. I'm on record as saying as much. He played well enough last year having come in mid-season to expect an upturn this year. It's one of the few things this FO has done in the last several years that I think they'd like to have back right about now.

I was disappointed we declined the option tbh. I'm on record as saying as much. He played well enough last year having come in mid-season to expect an upturn this year. It's one of the few things this FO has done in the last several years that I think they'd like to have back right about now.
His 5 th year would’ve been 1 year at almost 14 million which at the time would’ve made him top 5 in pay for that year. It’s not hard to see why they didn’t. Now, with that being said, I’d love to see him sign a long term contract and stay.

Correct which means he's as good as gone.

People need to stop with the team friendly deals. That's pie in the sky dreaming. His agent only has one job to do and it's not that.

I sort of disagree. He was a bust in New York and he knows being in New Orleans made the difference. He's a very smart kid who has shown that he loves being here. If Bell and Lattimore stay, I think Apple will stay too.

I think we declined the option to give him some extra motivation and see if he’s worth a new contract. I think the Saints are very interested in keeping Apple, but would not be surprised if he sees the open market before potentially re-signing with the Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom