Eli Apple still soaking up knowledge as he gets more comfortable with the Saints (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
https://www.nola.com/saints/2018/11...inues-adjusting-to-saints.html?outputType=amp

"Apple has shown improvement in each of his three games with the Saints as he’s gained comfort in the defensive scheme. However, he said the adjustment process hasn’t been too difficult because the Saints system is similar to what he did in college and with the Giants.

It also helps, Apple said, to be learning from friends like safety Vonn Bell and cornerback Marshon Lattimore, two of Apple’s teammates at Ohio State."

He does seem to be progressing. I hope that trend continues. As Dennis Allen gets more confidence in him, it might allow more blitzes like we saw in the Bengals game. It's all complimentary football if we can jump on a team quickly and then get a couple of three and outs. As he improves, it should allow that flexibility increasingly. He looks like a personality and culture fit so far also, despite the early reports about his mother.

All positive stuff. I thought his mom was coming down to help get him settled while he focused on football. As organized as the Saints FO is maybe they have someone who helps with the transition.

There is a reason why he was a top 10 pick 2 years ago. Look, he was put in a sheet situation, and no rookie is going to be able to turn a defense around when the organization is in turmoil. Lattimore made a huge impact on our team, but we had a good bit of talent around him, and the organization wasn’t in flux.

Heck the coach that cut him wasn’t the coach that drafted him, and coaches always want to bring in their own guys (hence the reason you see major roster turnover from one year to the next whenever any coach is hired). The team moving on from him was bound to happen with Pat Shermer, and if not with Shermer this year, the coach that the Giants hire to replace him this offseason would be the one moving on from Apple.

I liked the move then, and I still like it now.

He needs to soak up some Stick'em and catch the ball... LOL He should have like 4 INTs already.

Nice. He looks like a good player so far. Maybe not elite, but light years better than Crawley. I hope he keeps getting better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom