Eli Apple (1 Viewer)

He is not good. We need a real #2 corner. This is the other reason we will be challenged to win another title.

#2 WR
#2 CB

we don’t have the right caliber players in those spots
Unlike the WR, situation we have been struggling to get this for a long time. I blame DA because it like he began giving Apple more responsibility when Lattimore was out and he kept doing it even when he came back. I thought we were rotating coverage to support him while ML did the one on one thing.

We are not blaming the loss on Apple. We are saying we are sick of seeing him get picked on every game. He gets beat by receivers regularly and draws too many penalties. It’s too easy to throw against him. He’s getting worse not better. I’m more angry that the Saints always seem to pick up weak secondary players like Apple and PJ. It’s our MO. Other than Lattimore we are once again terrible in the secondary and it’s a worse problem than the play calling and the refs.

Where is Delvin Breaux can we sign him from CFL to be the #2 CB? Seriously! And is PRob that bad he can’t beat out Pj Williams

PRob is hurt. Sadly it looks like the injuries last year to Ginn and PRob have fast forwarded the aging process and neither one of them have been the same.

Apple losing confidence is terrifying because if you want to see how much confidence matters, 2017 Ken Crawley vs 2018 Ken Crawley.

We are not blaming the loss on Apple. We are saying we are sick of seeing him get picked on every game. He gets beat by receivers regularly and draws too many penalties. It’s too easy to throw against him. He’s getting worse not better. I’m more angry that the Saints always seem to pick up weak secondary players like Apple and PJ. It’s our MO. Other than Lattimore we are once again terrible in the secondary and it’s a worse problem than the play calling and the refs.

We do seem to miss more than hit on the secondary players....like we don’t usually miss O linemen....but the #2 corner is usually going to be picked on. That’s why he’s not the #1.
It’s hard to have pro bowl talent at 2 corner spots.

they broke their tendencies in a big way.

Threw on 1st down almost 80% of time. Thats a huge flip.

They did a TON of misdirection plays. Lots of crossing routes to move defenders eyes. It had to be a nightmare for the safeties to see so many players cross in front their field of view.

that jumped out at me as well. You have to give them credit for knowing what we would see in them and how we would try to defend it and then taking it in the opposite direction. It really was a chess match between the coaches. All week all anyone talked about was running and stopping the run..

He deserve his own thread. While there is plenty of blame to go around he needs to be highlighted. Now we all know that he's the weak link in coverage, we kinda hoped that other teams wouldn't catch on but today he was exploited early and often.
I think hes playing scared now tbh. He was fine before they started calling PI on him every play. I'm sure that's gotten into his head and he's not playing with instincts, instead hes playing nervous. You can't hesitate as a DB, one false step and it's over. It's really frustrating because we've seen that he IS capable, but with league rules and the officials being overly picky when it comes to the Saints defense, I can see why Eli's performance is declining.

they broke their tendencies in a big way.

Threw on 1st down almost 80% of time. Thats a huge flip.

They did a TON of misdirection plays. Lots of crossing routes to move defenders eyes. It had to be a nightmare for the safeties to see so many players cross in front their field of view.

Losing our 2 LB meant we had to play nickel/dime waaaaay more than we wanted. Same reason you had CGJ on Kittle on 4th n 2.

PJ Williams is a lost cause imo. He just cannot seem to adjust to the game in any way. Apple seems to have lost a chunk of confidence and its showing.

That makes sense actually. Film study and understanding the other teams tendencies is a huge part of sound defense. Gotta give it to shanahan. He put all his cards on the table to win this one.

There was a run during the early mid part of season that I thought and commented at how well he was playing. Not so much the last 2 or 3 games as he really has been exposed and victimized by offenses. I am not smart enough to understand whether he is playing scared or just that teams have enough tape to exploit his obvious weaknesses. Sad as we really need him to step up as we go into the playoffs and play better teams. It does also look like a good move to not have taken the 5th year option before the season started!

I need to re-watch the game, but one thing that i noticed, live time, is that Shanahan kept going to the same exact route whenever he needed a play. With Eli lined up in single coverage wide left, he just had the receiver run an in for easy first downs. Eli wasn't within 5 yards on any of those catches and didn't lay a hand on him. Every time that happened, either Bell or Williams made the tackle. That play had to be run at least 5 times, successfully. I am not sure if these were all missed safety assignments or if DA was just being ignorant. If any of you get the chance to watch the game again (if you can stomach it), I would be interested to know if I saw that correctly.

Here's what you have to remember with off coverage. It's not the CB who makes that decision, it's the coordinator.

Apple was playing off the 1st half and got destroyed. He actually played much better in the 2nd half and the 49ers started going to CGJ and PJ instead. I do not think it's all Apple's fault. I think at least 70% of his struggles yesterday were scheme.

When receivers are making catches and there isn't a defender within 10 yards, that's scheme. They weren't giving up toughly contested catches. Jimmy G wasn't fitting balls into tight windows. That was pitch and catch.

And not only was it pitch and catch, it was pitch, catch, and then frolic through open meadows. I haven't seen so much open space on a Saints defense since Steve Spagnuolo was here. The 49ers had a great game plan and you have to give them credit. But come on now. The Secondary called in sick. I'm not going to put it all on Apple.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom