Eli Apple's performance against Ridley (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
3 Pass Interference's in one game! I'm sorry, but that's not good. And, from what they were saying, he leads the league in PI's. That's really not good. Yes, you can have a bad game, but the most PI's in a season?

This is Ken Crawley bad! We all crucified Crawley for this very reason. Now, Eli is starting to play the same way. He's becoming Crawley.

Now, the 1st PI called against him last night I totally disagreed with. Ridley was already angling out of bounds, and Apple barely touched him. Plus, every player is entitled to his spot on the field. Apple was looking back at the ball, and the ball was uncatchable.

The REf's did a better job last night against us, but that call was bogus.

I'm beginning to think that Apple is not going to be back next year. He's just not playing now like a 1st round pick. Ridley is not Julio Jones. He's a #2 Receiver. We had to make the switch last night to Lattimore on him. What would have happened if Julio had been playing? We would have been in trouble.

Question is this. We will be picking at the bottom of the Draft, and whatever corner might be available would basically be the same as Apple. So, we really don't have much of an option, unless it comes to Free Agency.

My only other thought on this is the secondary Coach. Is he just not developing players the way he should? Is that where the change needs to be made? When Nielson and Nolan came in, there was a huge difference on the D-line and at LB. Maybe we need to look there.

I don't know what the solution is, but we do need to take a look at this in the offseason.

A defense is as good as its second-best CB, and it is hard to find a good one with any amount of proven experience. So I think we should keep Apple if his demands are reasonable. It does not seem likely that a team will offer him #1CB money, so this should be possible. Of course we need to draft another boundary guy, you never have enough.

I don't think the Matt Ryan under-throw was fair either. He did prevent the receiver from getting back to the ball, but that was because he was running with a very speedy receiver step-for-step and trying to keep up. The idea that it wouldn't be interference if only he would've turned his head doesn't make sense to me.

I get why they throw the flag. It's a fast game and it looks like a lot of contact, but they should've picked it up.

I think Dennis Allen has as much fault as Apple. DA didn't adjust the defense to losing Lattimore. He usually leaves Latt on an island except against the best WRs like Jones. I think he thought that since Ridley isn't as good as Jones, then Apple could handle him without help, but that was a poor evaluation. Ridley is very close to Jones. Atlanta has 2 elite WRs, and you need an elite CB to match them if they are going to be left on an island. Apple should've had help almost the entire game.

With that said, Apple's technique was terrible. I don't understand what CBs have to lose by looking back for the ball, except perhaps losing sight of the WR, but at least the WR may drop the ball, so that has better odds. CBs should be taught to run past the WR if they can't stop their momentum, and then simultaneously look back for the ball, and also try to immediately grab the WRs arms when the ball arrives. The 2nd PI was totally unnecessary, because he had safety help. He needs to have awareness to know when it is wise to gamble on PI. It was just dumb football.

I don't think the Matt Ryan under-throw was fair either. He did prevent the receiver from getting back to the ball, but that was because he was running with a very speedy receiver step-for-step and trying to keep up. The idea that it wouldn't be interference if only he would've turned his head doesn't make sense to me.

I get why they throw the flag. It's a fast game and it looks like a lot of contact, but they should've picked it up.
Apple definitely interfered with Ridley. We may not like the rule, but if the pass is short, and the WR tries to come back for the ball, you have to make an effort to get out of his way. CBs should be trained to avoid contact any way they can and run past the WR, so if the WR catches the ball, he'll be in position to tackle him. Also, CBs should always at least act like they are going for the ball by looking back for the ball. Again, the rule is that both the CB and WR have an equal right to the ball, so if the CB looks back to catch the ball, the odds get much better for him. First, the WR could be called for interference, and second, it is far less likely that he'll get called for interference.

To be fair, Ridley was giving us problems before Apple’s flight plans changed from New York to New Orleans.

For the most part Apple has been solid. He isn’t a Pro Bowl player, but he is a legit talent that you want to keep as an upgrade to him would cost a pretty penny.

Also, Apple could've easily been called for PI on the drive that ended on downs at the 2 yard line. The WR ran into his position that he had a right to, but he wrapped his arms around the WR. All he should've done was protect this position. Atlanta didn't challenge it, but I think it was interference.

Ultimately this team will be judged by how it performs in the post season. Apple was having a good year till last night but that is one game. Plenty of time for him and others to get ready for the playoff run. I will hold my judgment till the post season is over.

3 Pass Interference's in one game! I'm sorry, but that's not good. And, from what they were saying, he leads the league in PI's. That's really not good. Yes, you can have a bad game, but the most PI's in a season?

This is Ken Crawley bad! We all crucified Crawley for this very reason. Now, Eli is starting to play the same way. He's becoming Crawley.

Now, the 1st PI called against him last night I totally disagreed with. Ridley was already angling out of bounds, and Apple barely touched him. Plus, every player is entitled to his spot on the field. Apple was looking back at the ball, and the ball was uncatchable.

The REf's did a better job last night against us, but that call was bogus.

I'm beginning to think that Apple is not going to be back next year. He's just not playing now like a 1st round pick. Ridley is not Julio Jones. He's a #2 Receiver. We had to make the switch last night to Lattimore on him. What would have happened if Julio had been playing? We would have been in trouble.

Question is this. We will be picking at the bottom of the Draft, and whatever corner might be available would basically be the same as Apple. So, we really don't have much of an option, unless it comes to Free Agency.

My only other thought on this is the secondary Coach. Is he just not developing players the way he should? Is that where the change needs to be made? When Nielson and Nolan came in, there was a huge difference on the D-line and at LB. Maybe we need to look there.

I don't know what the solution is, but we do need to take a look at this in the offseason.

And here we go, rant time.

OK, let's start with the obvious, too many penalties in one game. But as you said, 3 came from one game, take this bad day and things are reasonably normal for Apple.

Second thing, I don't blame this bad game on Apple. I actually blame Dennis Allen and Aaron Glenn. Why? Apple is a big corner, and his main asset is his strength. Putting him to play man coverage against a speedster with no safety help is a bad premise.

The only reason for Apple to be covering Calvin Ridley is that Marshon Lattimore is covering Julio. If Julio is out, Then Lattimore should be on Ridley with no help and Apple with a second receiver, with safety help, specially if it is a speedster.

It was the 3rd quarter and our defense gave up 9 points. We didn't play a perfect game, but I don't see why to complain.

What we should take on this game is that it is not automatic to make Lattimore cover the best receiver and Apple the second without help.

See what is working and what is not, and make the adjustments. In a way, I think the saints did that and played better as the game progressed.

Does anyone notice that our number two CB consistently is at the top of the list of PI’s year in and year out no matter who’s playing that spot?

Ridley gave all of our dbs issues. Hell even when we moved Lattimore over to cover him, Lattimore was getting beat until Allen decided to roll Marcus Williams over the top of Lattimore to stop him.

I understand why Allen wanted Apple on Ridley based on the result of the last time they played. It was just one of those nights fo Ridley.

Does anyone notice that our number two CB consistently is at the top of the list of PI’s year in and year out no matter who’s playing that spot?

Yes. Glad I’m not the only one who notices the Saints always seem to pick corners who make me want to throw things.

Apple at times seems to lack the very basics of how to physically interact with a receiver. He sometimes making bad grabs and pushes for no reason. Seems a coach could cure him of that.

I’ve been complaining about Apple all year and yet he’s consistently supported on SR. I thought his performance last night was par for the course for him. When QBs love to see a particular corner in man coverage you know you have a weak corner.

Seahawks got PI with their doom secondary all the time.. and they dominated... did we win? Was we CARRIED, by the defense?..

Then whatever it takes.. style points don't matter when you hoist the lombardi.

Also, Apple could've easily been called for PI on the drive that ended on downs at the 2 yard line. The WR ran into his position that he had a right to, but he wrapped his arms around the WR. All he should've done was protect this position. Atlanta didn't challenge it, but I think it was interference.

I agree and am thankful they didn’t call it. Especially with their affinity for bad call against us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom