Eli Manning to announce retirement (1 Viewer)

I feel like he should have retired 3 years ago. Also I can't believe he has been to two superbowls, but Drew only one. The giants did have a pretty great defense back then

In 2007 their defense was ranked 17th in points and 7th in yards.

In 2011 their defense was ranked 25th in points and 27th in yards.

His is an interesting case when it comes to HoF or "all-time" discussions. He's not the top anything or even a top 5 anything. His career suffered a disastrous plummet. His claim to (the hall of) fame is his two Super Bowl wins where I think we can agree he played well but also got insanely lucky. He's going to get in, I'm sure, due to his family name and that he played in New York but is he really deserving of it? Not so sure about that.

In 2007 their defense was ranked 17th in points and 7th in yards.

In 2011 their defense was ranked 25th in points and 27th in yards.

Michael Strayhan and Jason Pierre Paul

2007 playoff opponent scores by game: 14pts, 17, 20, 14
2011 playoff opponent scores by game: 2pts, 20, 17, 17

He’ll create an interesting discussion when he comes up for Hall of Fame consideration. Only six playoff berths in sixteen seasons, and a career 117-117 may hold him up, but the Super Bowls and his statistical volume will get him in.
I would bet money that he will still be waiting in 2030. With only 5 slots a year there are too many better options already in the queue.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in here yet but this kind of surprised me:

According to sports data tracker Spotrac, Eli Manning is retiring as the highest paid player over his career in the game.

Manning's career earnings from just his football contracts, not counting endorsement money and other off-field pay, have totaled $252,280,004.
https://pro.benzinga.com/?afmc=43
That brings Manning in about $12 million over the second-highest paid current player, Drew Brees, and a little more than $15 million above Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

It also makes Eli a bit more of a financial success, in on-field earnings anyway, than his brother Peyton Manning, who retired after the 2015 season having earned about $249 million in 18 seasons. Peyton Manning has earned tons off the field as well, however, in a lucrative advertising and broadcasting career.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in here yet but this kind of surprised me:

According to sports data tracker Spotrac, Eli Manning is retiring as the highest paid player over his career in the game.

Manning's career earnings from just his football contracts, not counting endorsement money and other off-field pay, have totaled $252,280,004.
https://pro.benzinga.com/?afmc=43
That brings Manning in about $12 million over the second-highest paid current player, Drew Brees, and a little more than $15 million above Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

It also makes Eli a bit more of a financial success, in on-field earnings anyway, than his brother Peyton Manning, who retired after the 2015 season having earned about $249 million in 18 seasons. Peyton Manning has earned tons off the field as well, however, in a lucrative advertising and broadcasting career.

Makes sense. He’s had a few extra seasons, so it’d be reasonable that he’d earn more.

I would bet money that he will still be waiting in 2030. With only 5 slots a year there are too many better options already in the queue.
I believe that the HoF is reserved for the best players in their era.

Eli doesn't come close if that is the standard.

Great quote from the first article. It's the conclusion:

The Hall of Eli is where we will worship the mediocre who became champions. (Nick Foles will get in on the first ballot.) We will not contort ourselves into pretzels arguing that these players who won titles were great. Instead, we’ll celebrate the failures and weaknesses of athletes who briefly brought the world to their feet. I don’t want to debate whether Eli is a god or a mortal. What makes Eli so wonderful is that he was both.

Nice retirement ceremony. Mara said that Eli’s #10 will be officially retired & that Eli will be inducted into their Ring of Honor.

It was sweet to see Eli holding his red haired baby son.

The New York media & fans can be brutal. But, Eli always handled the hate & the criticism with dignity & grace. Never any incidents on Page 6 gossip & always high class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom