Eliminate offensive and defensive line holding as a penalty (1 Viewer)

SuperSaint

Trek expert & WoW junkie
Reaction score
It's getting too ridiculous.

The offensive holding penalties dipped this week because the league told the refs to cut back on calling them.

If everybody is doing it, just create a 1-yard space between the lines at the snap, and eliminate holding as a penalty. Let the players use their skills.

I've never seen the officiating this bad, they aren't even calling obvious penalties anymore. In the Cleveland-Rams game from last night, on one of the Cleveland TDs, the player celebrated in the endzone by lying down and using the ball as a pillow, can't use the ball as a prop, wasn't called.

The offensive holding penalties dipped this week because the league told the refs to cut back on calling them.

If everybody is doing it, just create a 1-yard space between the lines at the snap, and eliminate holding as a penalty. Let the players use their skills.

I've never seen the officiating this bad, they aren't even calling obvious penalties anymore. In the Cleveland-Rams game from last night, on one of the Cleveland TDs, the player celebrated in the endzone by lying down and using the ball as a pillow, can't use the ball as a prop, wasn't called.
no but define it as hooking a player in the head and neck body area or grabbing of a jersey with clear intent to hold so they can get rid of incidental and marginal holding calls. it needs to be clarified so only obvious holds are called

also this stupid rule you have to stop in the middle of a full sprint and spin around backwards to block a guy is beyond insanity. as it stands now straight up face to face blocking is called a penalty now. this blind side block rule has to be changed to only be a penalty if you hit the guy from the side or from behind where he cant see you coming

Today's refs are so hamstrung by Big Brother and technology in general, they don't know what to call anymore. "What are we calling this week? .... I dunno, Roger hasn't said yet....hey, may we go the bathroom now?" ;)

Also, defensive holding in the secondary shouldn’t be an automatic first down. If the 5 yards results in a first, then so be it; otherwise, it’s a 5 yard penalty and whatever down and distance remains.

I agree that it needs to be clarified, because the hooking is not called consistently. Also, everyone holds when their hands are inside the pads so that should just be legalized.

Good pros know how to hold:

-Latching on inside the frame of the defender’s body? Not holding

-Leveraging that grip to turn and drag the defender toward the ground? Holding

-Hooking the defender around the waist or chest with your arm? Holding

-Hooking the defender around the neck with your arm? 50/50

-Grabbing jersey around shoulder pads while drive blocking? Not holding

-Grabbing jersey from behind to slow defender? Holding

These distinctions and others are part of football’s unwritten rules. It’s often said you could call holding on every play, and by the letter of the rules that’s probably true. But by the unwritten rules it’s not that you can hold however you like. It’s that you have to learn how to hold like a pro!

Last edited:

These distinctions and others are part of football’s unwritten rules. It’s often said you could call holding on every play, and by the letter of the rules that’s probably true. But by the unwritten rules it’s not that you can hold however you like. It’s that you have to learn how to hold like a pro!

I think the subjectivity of it is the problem. They will let something slide all game then call it out of the blue.

And yes. Defensive holding should not be a first down. That's ridiculous.

I have not seen any PI calls this year, when last year almost every deep ball had a PI call.

It's like they decided not to call PI due to the no call incident, but nickel and dime with little ticky tack crap.

And this PI/non call challenge is useless. They are not changing the call even when the replay shows PI. wierd stuff happening. I do believe the refs are P'Oed at the way everything played out last year.

no but define it as hooking a player in the head and neck body area or grabbing of a jersey with clear intent to hold so they can get rid of incidental and marginal holding calls. it needs to be clarified so only obvious holds are called

also this stupid rule you have to stop in the middle of a full sprint and spin around backwards to block a guy is beyond insanity. as it stands now straight up face to face blocking is called a penalty now. this blind side block rule has to be changed to only be a penalty if you hit the guy from the side or from behind where he cant see you coming

I really don't mind the second part, I mean if a guys behind you as a blocker then he's probably not making the play and if you think he is you really don't have to spin around you can just run in front of him to impede him.

I do agree with the first part though, allow the holds that o-lineman have been taught for years to make anyway and call the hooking, outside of the pads, and extremity yanking as penalties.

The problem is that what you've defined as "not holding" IS actually holding in regards to the rules and can get flagged on every play if the officials see it and decide to call it. They don't always, which exacerbates the problem, because a good lineman will do that every chance he gets and then eventually it'll get flagged potentially stall a drive which seems to be a the most inopportune moments (IE - during a big play).

Also, defensive holding in the secondary shouldn’t be an automatic first down. If the 5 yards results in a first, then so be it; otherwise, it’s a 5 yard penalty and whatever down and distance remains.

I agree with this in principle, as this has always driven me nuts during games; however, I suspect the issue is that defensive players might abuse such a rule change by grabbing and holding receivers before the ball is thrown if they’re clearly beat. For the defender, a five-yard penalty without an automatic first down is far better than the alternative.

Still, I tend to agree with you.

So let's negate the hard work the Saints have done creating very good offensive and defensive lines. Because if you do this, that's what I think would happen. It would give an advantage to average and poor offensive lines and negate the advantage teams with good defensive lines have.

The solution IMO is then NFL needs to have better paid, full time refs who operate independent of the league office. And set up review like college football has. Also, PI should be like college football.

If defensive holding is only 5 yds every 3rd and 6 , 4th and 6 you just grab the receiver

Also if you get beat you limit the play to 5 yds if you grab quick enough

Same with holding on the line , the wrapping arm around neck chest from behind seems to be inconsistent when you watch some DEa get help

So let's negate the hard work the Saints have done creating very good offensive and defensive lines. Because if you do this, that's what I think would happen. It would give an advantage to average and poor offensive lines and negate the advantage teams with good defensive lines have.

The solution IMO is then NFL needs to have better paid, full time refs who operate independent of the league office. And set up review like college football has. Also, PI should be like college football.

I prefer a game with better rules than a game that the saints have a really small advantage on paper but get screwed on real life by silly calls in important parts of the game not even mentioning how the game becomes boring.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom