Elite DT Prospect? (1 Viewer)

abnrgr

Rangers Lead the Way!
Reaction score
Has anyone considered DL Calais Campbell as a DT prospect? I see similar traits to Cowboy DL Chris Canty. Canty was a DE and though he was tall and lean he is an excellent DT. Evaluation of Campbell is he excels against the run because he is strong at the point of attack and can anchor well. As a DE he lacks explosion but he is a good rusher and tackler. I think he could be a valuable player to consider if the Saints trade back and want a versatile DE/DT prospect.

He seems to have the bulk, but I don't have enough info to figure out if can make the move. Interesting thought though.

Boy if we took him the Will Smith rumors would really heat up (assuming we don't extend him before then). If he slipped to us in rounds 2 or 3, it would be really tempting.

He's tall but he's way too skinny and definitley not strong enough to play DT. He won't get much leverage or anchor against the run.

Admittedly he'll have to get stronger but he doesn't seem to have a problem with leverage despite his height. And while he grows into the position he would be a valuable rotation player at DE/DT.

It's an interesting thought, but at 6' 8" and 280 lbs. he is really the wrong size to play DT. He needs to be shorter and/or weigh more. At the DT spot, it's important to be able to get under the offensive linemen to get leverage so his height would actually work against him. At at only 280 for that height, he's not bulky enough.
However, it does make me wonder if he can play TE... :ezbill:

Generally you're correct but Chris Canty is a darn good DT for the Cowboys and a man of that size could be dominating. I'd feed him and grow him in the weight room. Big guys exist like Marcus Stroud, John Henderson and Albert Haynesworth. If the experiment doesn't work you still have one of the top 5 DE in the draft.

You should know too, as the Giants experimented with DL to great success.

Has anyone considered DL Calais Campbell as a DT prospect? I see similar traits to Cowboy DL Chris Canty. Canty was a DE and though he was tall and lean he is an excellent DT. Evaluation of Campbell is he excels against the run because he is strong at the point of attack and can anchor well. As a DE he lacks explosion but he is a good rusher and tackler. I think he could be a valuable player to consider if the Saints trade back and want a versatile DE/DT prospect.

I have thought about it but he needs to get much stronger to play inside.

He might be an interesting pick up in the 2nd based off of what he could be with some coaching.

He would make a good DE in a 3-4 and would be the type of player you would want to move inside on passing situations in a 4-3 but as for an every down 4-3 DT he isn't big enough. Plus his biggest weakness is playing too high and that would be magnified playing DT.

Hasn't Calais Campbell been dropping steadily? Too slow. And wasn't there some question of his motivation?

I think the kid from Hampton might be a better prospect later in the draft. He's played DE & DT in college. Bulk him up a lil and use him like AH from the Titans? I know they talk about him as a 3-4 end, but his strengths make him sound like he's just mean and nasty enough to make a fine DT.

I think they have him rated as the 94th pick/rated player?

"Kendall Langford
DE | (6'5", 287, 4.95) | HAMPTON

Scouts Grade: 70

Flags: (S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position
View by: Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Has a great frame and shows the ability to play around 290 pounds. Displays a violent punch, has a mean streak and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. At his best playing inside and taking on blocks. Can be very difficult to move when he stays low. Has experience lining up at defensive tackle and is versatile enough to slide inside as a 3-4 end in the NFL. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler. Is a relentless pass rusher and flashes the ability to fight though double teams. Use hands to protect legs, stays balanced and can get over cut blocks. Drives legs once engaged, shows adequate lower body strength and can push tackles back into the pocket. Looks to knock the ball loose when gets to the quarterback and is a ball hawk. Tall, jumps well and blocked a kick during 2006 season.

Weaknesses: He lacks the burst and athletic ability to apply any consistent pressure as a pass rusher. Needs to know his role and must maintain bulk in order to be successful as a 3-4 end in the NFL. Plays far too high at times and can get driven off the ball. Lacks great awareness and doesn't always get hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback.

Overall: In Langford's first three seasons at Hampton (2004-'06), he appeared in 36 games (27 starts) and recorded 164 total tackles (42.5 for losses) and 18.5 sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 11 games and finished the season with 72 tackles (13.5 for losses), six sacks, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. He began his career at defensive tackle, moving to right defensive end in 2005 before switching to the left side in '06. Playing at a small school obviously raises concerns about Langford's ability to make the leap to the NFL. He needs to become a more fundamentally sound run defender and learn to play with more consistent leverage. However, Langford has the frame, bulk and natural strength to take on blocks as a two-gap end in a 3-4 alignment. That's why we think the small-school product will not last long on Day 2 of the 2008 draft."

Campbell put up only 16 reps in the bench press. That was, by far, the least amount put up by a defensive lineman at the Combine. He also can't break the 5.0 barrier in the 40. He is a weak, slow, bust candidate. I'll pass.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom