Elite Sports NY - The NFL’s Most Overrated Quarterback: Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

Bress can't do it by myself,he has to be protected and there is still no evidence of that in my opinion.

I disagree with that, yes there were a Lot of question marks surrounding the offensive line. But they played very well last week only allowing one sack and a few miscues in the running game which averaged over 4 ypc. With Evans in the lineup at RG and Peat at LG, we seem to have found a decent starting offensive line!

Sad. If anything he is underrated because of articles like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anybody's overrated it's Eli.
0ab27dcd749f24842706a1d41aa2fe98.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This is laughable. Brees is the most UNDER-rated QB. They never mention him among the current greats, all of whom have much more talent around them. Russ Wilson is supposed to be "better" now, but who got more use out of Jimmy Graham? Brady has the best modern-day coach, superior talent and management, and all the breaks afforded to his celebrity status. Likewise Rodgers has more receiving talent and cap-management for team success. Brees gets mediocre talent and makes it look great.

It's no secret that fans and media alike are always quick to place an asterisk on offensive stats generated by teams that play in domes or warm weather stadiums, which, if I'm being completely subjective, is fair to point out. Teams that play a majority of their games in more favorable weather conditions will likely put up better offensive stats, all other things being equal.

What's curious to me is that that logic never seems to cut the opposite direction. There are numerous Northeastern teams that have historically played the majority of their games on crappy fields in crappy weather conditions and no one ever suggests that maybe the reason why their defensive stats are so good is because of those advantages. The Steelers are a good example. They play in a cold weather city and their current stadium, Heinz Field, is known for it's unpredictable wind patterns due to leaving one side of the stadium open ended. Beyond that, the field grass has always been notoriously shoddy, to the point that numerous players have complained about it and even blamed the turf for injuries. And let's not forget the fact that the Steelers also play 3 road games a year in Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati; three other outdoor, cold weather cities that aren't exactly known for putting up dynamic offenses year in and year out. This means that every season the Steelers are guaranteed to play at least 11 games in conditions that are better suited to a defensive slug fest than an offensive track meet.

Yet no one ever suggests that, maybe, just maybe, these conditions possibly contribute to the Steelers' historically great defensive reputation. But dome/warm weather teams get the "stadium" card slapped on them all the time. And I'm not even suggesting that the Steelers' defense is historically overrated or anything like that. Obviously, if you play the majority of your games in conditions that favor defensive football then you're going to build your team around your defense... just like teams that play in conditions that favor offensive football build their team around their offense.

Honestly, I'm not even complaining or pointing this out because people use the "But they play in a dome!" argument against the Saints. It's just something I've always noticed, but never seems to get mentioned. The Bears are known to this day for not properly sodding Soldier Field outside of the hashmarks (to the point that players can never seem to properly plant and cut) yet no one ever mentions that when discussing how good the Chicago Bears defense might be in any given year.

Preach on brother.

Weather is never talked about post game. The media seems to mention it before the game starts, when talking about the day's matchup.

But after the game, they talk about the defense's dominance and never mention the weather's effect.

National Football League records

• Most games with 300+ passing yards - 97.<sup id="cite_ref-100" class="reference">[100]</sup>
  • Most touchdown passes in a single game - 7 (Tied), 11/1/2015 <sup id="cite_ref-singleNOR_101-0" class="reference">[101]</sup>
  • Most consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass - 54<sup id="cite_ref-Unitas_96-1" class="reference">[96]</sup>
  • Highest completion percentage, season - 71.2% (2011)
  • Most Seasons with 5,000+ passing yards - 4 (2008, 2011, 2012, 2013)
  • Most consecutive games with 20+ completions - 57 (2009&#8211;2013)<sup id="cite_ref-102" class="reference">[102]</sup>
  • Most pass attempts in a playoff game with zero interceptions - 60 (at Seattle, 1/8/2011)<sup id="cite_ref-Records_.E2.80.93_Passing_103-0" class="reference">[103]</sup>
  • Most pass completions in a playoff game with zero interceptions - 39 (at Seattle, 1/8/2011)<sup id="cite_ref-Records_.E2.80.93_Passing_103-1" class="reference">[103]</sup>
  • All-time leader in completion percentage
  • 71.2% completion percentage, single season
  • Fastest to reach 40,000 yards passing
  • Fastest to reach 50,000 yards passing
  • Fastest to reach 60,000 yards passing
  • Most 5,000 yard passing seasons (4)
  • Most seasons leading league in passing yards (6)
  • 8th quarterback to throw 7 touchdowns in a game
  • Most consecutive seasons with 4,000+ passing yards (10)
  • Most consecutive seasons with 5,000+ passing yards (3)

Overrated? :smilielol:

I disagree with that, yes there were a Lot of question marks surrounding the offensive line. But they played very well last week only allowing one sack and a few miscues in the running game which averaged over 4 ypc. With Evans in the lineup at RG and Peat at LG, we seem to have found a decent starting offensive line!
I think there was some skill, some luck involved. Did you see the hit brees took up the middle on the stunt from Mack? I for one cringed when I saw it, Peat has got to lock it down on those stunts. He seems to have issues moving to his right, or maybe just lateral movement.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I have a serious question. Why wasn't Brees this good prior to being in a dome and with Payton? Rivers was drafted to replace him. Also, if he had chosen Miami, do you think he'd be more Saints Brees or Chargers Brees? Curious to see what everyone thinks.

0/10 found this helpful...

Dand, talk about shooting the messenger... lol

Why is a player over-rated if he plays well in good conditions?

If I can beat Usain Bolt in the 100 meters running over broken glass, what does that prove? Football is the only sport I can think of where players get some kind of extra credit for playing in bad conditions. But scoring touchdowns in the mud doesn't prove you are a better player. It proves that you couldn't outrun the other guy on dry ground, that's all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom