Ellerbee's contract voids next year only if he plays 80% of 2016 snaps (1 Viewer)

A little inside info I have is that he could play right now if needed. They want him to get 100% healthy without risking a set back. Makes sense to me especially with Robertson stepping up along with Anthony having trouble finding enough snaps. I would like to see us get Ellerbe 100% healthy for the 2nd half of the season and somewhat audition to see his value for next season.

A little inside info I have is that he could play right now if needed. They want him to get 100% healthy without risking a set back. Makes sense to me especially with Robertson stepping up along with Anthony having trouble finding enough snaps. I would like to see us get Ellerbe 100% healthy for the 2nd half of the season and somewhat audition to see his value for next season.

The janitor strikes again!

I can believe that. With Anthony coming around slower than expected and Laurinitis picking up where he left off in St Louis Ellerbe/Robertson are easily our two best LB's and for now Stupar is very much serviceable.

I plan on doing a thread later...seems like we are in for some big/predictable adjustments moving forward that just worry about getting our best 11 on the field vs a bunch of packages.

Easily 2 LB's, 3 S's, 2CB's, and 4DL are going to be our best options. Throwing out a traditional 4-3 base and going with a big nickel as our base and using Vaccaro as a Quasi Sam LB with Byrd at FS, and Bell at SS based on Aaron Glenns description of Bell's talents (Saying he's a smaller/faster Vaccaro and the offer some of the same traits which is why you've seen him at SS in some packages.

It's happening!

So who plays what? Robertson at MIKE and Ellerbe at WILL? Would love to see those 2 with Stephon Anthony at SAM.

But Payton cut KeeLew for not being "available", and I just don't see us holding a roster spot for a guy that's always hurt.

I'm hoping for the best though. Would love to see him out there but he just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

You'll likely see less and less of Anthony at Sam and less base sets. Vaccaro will basically play Sam. He's been lauded for a long time as being able to set the edge in the run game like a backer very well. He's good in coverage and he blitzes...roles that a typical sam would play.

"The game has changes so much that it's really about deployment rather than who's doing it," Payton said during the radio interview. "In other words, just because I'm in nickel doesn't mean I'm giving you a good run look."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/10/sean_payton_indicates_saints_c.html

Craig Robertson is making Ellerbe look like dead cap money in 2017.

Can't say that until you've seen them on the field together. Just look at the team's record with and without Ellerbe last year. He was that much of a difference maker. I'm sure the plan is to get them both on the field at the same time to wreak havoc together.

Can't say that until you've seen them on the field together. Just look at the team's record with and without Ellerbe last year. He was that much of a difference maker. I'm sure the plan is to get them both on the field at the same time to wreak havoc together.

So who plays what? Robertson at MIKE and Ellerbe at WILL? Would love to see those 2 with Stephon Anthony at SAM.

But Payton cut KeeLew for not being "available", and I just don't see us holding a roster spot for a guy that's always hurt.

I'm hoping for the best though. Would love to see him out there but he just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Hope your info is right about that. It'd be a godsend, and we need it. He's good when he's on the field.

It's 700k if we cut him. It's basically an irrelevant amount.

Exactly... when I saw it was "only" 700k it wouldn't hurt so bad. Yes we need his ability but we need a player on the field too, and he just hasn't shown he could be that guy. And it seems its different injuries every time.

Exactly... when I saw it was "only" 700k it wouldn't hurt so bad. Yes we need his ability but we need a player on the field too, and he just hasn't shown he could be that guy. And it seems its different injuries every time.

Well, he's got 12 more games to prove he can be that guy.

We hold all the cards when it's over and can do what we want with no consequence. Loomis structured his contract perfectly.

I think it would be smart to make a decision based on Anthony's progression. If he can step in and be Mike next year and Robertson goes back to Will moving on from him becomes easier..likewise if Anthony hasn't progressed and Robertson retains Mike it makes all the sense in the world to keep him.

Anthony is key in this decision imho

Simply because moving forward the Sam LB position will be a by role basis, and you can resign Mauti to play that role at a cheap rate. Stupar is under contract and can backup MLB/WLB and you can move on from Ellerbe. Then Perhaps drafting a Will LB candidate mid/late round to develop behind Robertson.

Stephone has the talent - he's not going anywhere. Remember he's been benched before, and it did him good. He came back stronger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom