Ellis has impressive Pro Day & will visit the Saints (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Todd McShay says that he has pulled into a tie with Dorsey after an impressive Pro Day:

"I've never seen a guy go that long," McShay said. "It shows the stamina and mental toughness that [Ellis] has.

"That's the best part of any of these Pro Days. [Krumrie] does a great job of testing a man's will and seeing when you get to that wall, are you going to collapse. I've seen guys fall to their knees."

Weighing in at 297 pounds, 11 pounds less than at the NFL Combine last month, Ellis improved in almost every test.

He ran the 40-yard dash in five seconds flat - three-tenths faster than his time in Indianapolis - and bench pressed 225 pounds an impressive 36 times.

"I'm satisfied," said Ellis, who has visits scheduled with the Cincinnati Bengals and New Orleans Saints.
http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/me...s.Dominates.In.Pro.Day.Workouts-3300417.shtml

It looks like USC Coach Carrol wasn't happy about the drills that the visiting Coaches put Ellis through:

Carroll became angry when the NFL coaches put Ellis, Lawrence Jackson and Morrow through a "handfighting" drill with Kansas City assistant Tim Krumrie. The players had to knock Krumrie's arms off themselves until they almost dropped from exhaustion.
"I'm still light-headed," Ellis said.
Carroll expressed his displeasure with the coaches. "That won't happen again here," he said.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_8790298

Wow that tells me that KC's defensive assistants are probably going to be lobbying very hard to select Ellis (they're probably not counting on Dorsey still being there). That would be kind of a bummer, because it would mean that we really have no shot at one of them--the highest I can see us trading up is to the Patriots' 7th pick.

Ellis

Wow that tells me that KC's defensive assistants are probably going to be lobbying very hard to select Ellis (they're probably not counting on Dorsey still being there). That would be kind of a bummer, because it would mean that we really have no shot at one of them--the highest I can see us trading up is to the Patriots' 7th pick.

The Saints may have competition trading up to the 7th pick. I was hoping that Ellis would not do so well to increase the Saints' chances of moving up.

Not necessarily. Krumie has put all the DTs through the same drill. He did the same with Dorsey. He and Orgeron have seem to be the two guys working the tackles out. I still think that the Chiefs will take a lineman if Matt Ryan is gone.

The key is he is visiting the Bengals and Saints, we would need to jump ahead of the Bungles and take him
I would bet we have to jump higher than that. I can see Dorsey going as high as #2 and Ellis as high as #4 or #5.

Well, I just cannot see KC picking a DT, despite several mocks having them do just that. The facts are that they have Jared Allen & Tamba Hall at DE and then 2 high picked rookies from last year at DT in Turk McBride and Tank Tyler. I see them going OL all the way.

Boys, I watched most of Ellis' & Rivers' workout and there's a few things that should be mentioned:
1. ELLIS - the guy lost 9 lbs since the combine. He's at 298. His 40 went from 5.24 to 5.08! His bench press reps went from 34 to 36. He ran the 40 with his shirt off and I can say that this guy is not the fat, wobbly type of DT. This guy is built like a rock. Maybe he goes off the board first and we get a shot at Dorsey. I dunno but he greatly improved his stock.

2. RIVERS - IMO if we can't trade up, this is our guy at #10. He was an absolute FREAK.
His 40 was around 4.5, he flew around the cones and dummies like a superhero. His vertical leap was 42"!!!!! He almost hit the ceiling in the USC weightroom per Mike Mayock. IMO Dan Morgan is a stop gap at WLB. If we end up with Rivers, The LB corps would look threatening....Rivers, Vilma, Fujita with backups Shanle, Morgan, Simoneau.
Im happy with either USC guy at #10 if not Dorsey.
BTW TE Fred Davis is a monster. They say he isnt much of a blocker, but you'd never know by looking at him, the dudes shoulders are bigger than most linemans.

Boys, I watched most of Ellis' & Rivers' workout and there's a few things that should be mentioned:
1. ELLIS - the guy lost 9 lbs since the combine. He's at 298. His 40 went from 5.24 to 5.08! His bench press reps went from 34 to 36. He ran the 40 with his shirt off and I can say that this guy is not the fat, wobbly type of DT. This guy is built like a rock. Maybe he goes off the board first and we get a shot at Dorsey. I dunno but he greatly improved his stock.

2. RIVERS - IMO if we can't trade up, this is our guy at #10. He was an absolute FREAK.
His 40 was around 4.5, he flew around the cones and dummies like a superhero. His vertical leap was 42"!!!!! He almost hit the ceiling in the USC weightroom per Mike Mayock. IMO Dan Morgan is a stop gap at WLB. If we end up with Rivers, The LB corps would look threatening....Rivers, Vilma, Fujita with backups Shanle, Morgan, Simoneau.
Im happy with either USC guy at #10 if not Dorsey.
BTW TE Fred Davis is a monster. They say he isnt much of a blocker, but you'd never know by looking at him, the dudes shoulders are bigger than most linemans.
thanks for the info man

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom