Elon Musk makes $43 Billion offer for private buyout of Twitter (1 Viewer)

That's what makes me angry. While I find the whole Twitter folly hilarious, he's also causing damage to a company that was actually going places and doing something valuable.

Completely .

A someone who was an early investor in TSLA (brand new information, i know!)- this is all conflicting to me, and depressing.. i cant stand the guy at this point, but i was really hoping I had bought my “ticket” when i got in in 2016 .. so i kinda hope he succeeds, even though i seriously doubt he will .

That's what makes me angry. While I find the whole Twitter folly hilarious, he's also causing damage to a company that was actually going places and doing something valuable.

I hear you but I think many people (Musk included, as I have said numerous times on this thread) don't fully realize the role that twitter actually performed in many communities. A meaningful role that allowed instant, worldwide sharing of information and collegial exchanges in subject matter areas - sharing that actually grew knowledge.

For example, I saw this tweet from Oliver Alexander tonight. Oliver is an intelligence analysis who I began following when Russia invaded Ukraine - his content is outstanding. And here he is lamenting that shutting twitter down will be genuinely harmful to the open-source intelligence movement.

And the same is happening in all sorts of communities - technical, scientific, academic, artistic, aesthetic, etc. Just observing the technical discussion between virologists around the world analyzing the SARS-CoV-2 viral genome attested to this.

If it goes down, it's just a damn shame. And it's most ironic that Musk, self-professed "altruist" would be the force that takes it down principally because he doesn't understand it and never did.

What boggles my mind is how he started mass layoffs and firings, and tried all these major changes, from day one.

I'd have probably just waited at least a few days, even weeks, maybe even months(!) while I acclimate to my new toy and its employees while figuring out what the status quo is, what the problems are, and then and only then deciding how to go about "fixing" my new toy. But then again, I'm not Tony Stark.

I hear you but I think many people (Musk included, as I have said numerous times on this thread) don't fully realize the role that twitter actually performed in many communities. A meaningful role that allowed instant, worldwide sharing of information and collegial exchanges in subject matter areas - sharing that actually grew knowledge.

For example, I saw this tweet from Oliver Alexander tonight. Oliver is an intelligence analysis who I began following when Russia invaded Ukraine - his content is outstanding. And here he is lamenting that shutting twitter down will be genuinely harmful to the open-source intelligence movement.

And the same is happening in all sorts of communities - technical, scientific, academic, artistic, aesthetic, etc. Just observing the technical discussion between virologists around the world analyzing the SARS-CoV-2 viral genome attested to this.

If it goes down, it's just a damn shame. And it's most ironic that Musk, self-professed "altruist" would be the force that takes it down principally because he doesn't understand it and never did.

I see your point and it IS a shame. He could have just focused on Tesla, but now he's got Twitter and he might ruin both companies in the process.

I see your point and it IS a shame. He could have just focused on Tesla, but now he's got Twitter and he might ruin both companies in the process.

Indeed.

I think Tesla's vehicle production seems fairly insulated but the price multiple and market cap of the company based on belief in Elon's vision seems very at risk.

Elon is making a really good case for why it's generally not a good idea for billionaires to exist. This doesn't happen if Elon didn't have 200 billion of Tesla stock to play with.

Not a great sign when acct start this.

I was reading an article on Politico earlier about how Twitter was too intertwined with Washington D.C.'s political and journalist class for them to simply bail like others were doing and how they were going to stick with it because it was too ingrained to DC's culture.

What that article, and the D.C. Twitterati, failed to realize is they aren't going to have a choice. This thing they've been addicted to for so long is dying. And quickly. We are approaching a post-Twitter landscape. A lot of people that lived and breathed it every day are going to have a rough time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom