Elon Musk makes $43 Billion offer for private buyout of Twitter (3 Viewers)

Yup I wouldn't even comment if you don't understand the difference in venture capital vs personal wealth.

You also used some really bad examples. The role of the government, and Stanford in the early internet is a rabbit hole you may want to go down.

Yeah... LOL...

Same thing over at MAP, you are condescending (sometimes downright insulting) to posters on just about everything, about things you really don't know much about, then you get shown the error in your ways. You must be a sucker for punishment.

But hey, as long as we don't mention the person who sent the tweet, we can hash it out here. LOL.

Funny thing about people with large personal wealth (which you so much resent), they have lots of venture capital.

Last edited:
Yeah... LOL...

Same thing over at MAP, you are condescending to posters on just about everything, about things you really don't know much about, then you get shown the error in your ways. You must be a sucker for punishment.

Don't attack me for having a bad take.

Also show me the error of my ways if you can. Back up your opinion with facts if you want.

I know about ARPANET, and DARPA's role in the early internet. You have Berners-Lee inventing HTTP while working at CERN. This story is repeated throughout the early internet.

I know that Google started at Stanford by two PHD students. I know that Stanford actually owned a part of the company.

Last edited:
I'm kind of wondering if employees who "opted in" to the 3 months severance offer have recourse if he decides to renege.

I'm kind of wondering if employees who "opted in" to the 3 months severance offer have recourse if he decides to renege.

I do as well. Is the email Elon sent out binding? Apparently, they have already backtracked, and are trying to retain some of the key departments.

Don't attack me for having a bad take.

I am not attacking you. Just stating facts. And I wasn't even talking to you. You decided to be your usual condescending self and make disparaging comments about me.

You claim I have a bad take... go ahead, show me why it is bad. If you want to go into the internet "rabbit hole", by all means, go ahead. And sure, Stanford is part of a large group of universities developing internet2, but that development doesn't happen without grants from both the government and wealthy people, whether it is writing a personal check, through associations, corporations, providing equipment, environments, etc. The equipment, of course, coming from yet another group of wealthy people who invested in corporations like Cisco, Oracle, IBM, etc.

And FYI, UCLA was in on the whole internet thing way before Stanford...you may want to read about ARPANET.

Also, "the internet" is a catchall. There are a lot of components to "the internet". There are many layers to it that make it work end to end.

I happen to know a lot about this stuff because I was in the biz for so long, being that I was an OS/infrastructure engineer for so long. And I know something about wealth and wealth management being that I also have a degree in business and was born into a very rich family with transnational businesses.

So, yeah, like it or not, people with wealth make stuff happen. A lot of times, they do get richer making stuff happen, but can't blame them when they are risking their wealth.

And you can't judge all rich people by the few people you hear about.

In any case...

Last edited:
I am not attacking you. Just stating facts. And I wasn't even talking to you.

Nope, you clearly gave an opinion.
You decided to be your usual condescending self and make disparaging comments about me.

You claim I have a bad take... go ahead, show me why it is bad. If you want to go into the internet "rabbit hole", by all means, go ahead. And sure, Stanford is part of a large group of universities developing internet2, but that development doesn't happen without grants from both the government and wealthy people, whether it is writing a personal check, through associations, corporations, providing equipment, environments, etc. The equipment, of course, coming from yet another group of wealthy people who invested in corporations like Cisco, Oracle, IBM, etc.

And FYI, UCLA was in on the whole internet thing way before Stanford...you may want to read about ARPANET.

Also, "the internet" is a catchall. There are a lot of components to "the internet". There are many layers to it that make it work end to end.

I happen to know a lot about this stuff because I was in the biz for so long, being that I was an OS/infrastructure engineer for so long. And I know something about wealth and wealth management being that I also have a degree in business and was born into a very rich family with transnational businesses.

So, yeah, like it or not, people with wealth make stuff happen. A lot of times, they do get richer making stuff happen, but can't blame them when they are risking their wealth.

And you can't judge all rich people by the few people you hear about.

In any case...

I included Stanford because of Google. They also played a major role in the creation of the Silicon Valley as a venture capital hub.

I've had to read all about the origins of the internet for certifications. They make sure you know about DARPA, APRANET, DoD contributions, and random stuff like why we use TCP/IP, over the OSI model. The major private companies that contributed were arguably: Bell Labs, Xerox, and M$(For TCP alone I would include them) It's mainly a story of the DoD, universities, and the IEEE.

We aren't even touching on the massive amount of government money that went into running fiber all over this country.

You also are backtracking, and now trying to conflate VC with massive private wealth. Your originally argument is that the internet, Google, and smart phones wouldn't exist without billionaire funding. VC funding can exist without the people involved being worth 9 figures. You need to show how the internet, and Google wouldn't be possible without large private wealth backing them. At what moments does each fail without them? That is your premise.

I feel like this is a great example of someone who works in a adjacent field, so that makes them an expert in the one that want to speak about. I'm honestly done arguing the origins of the internet. It's not the purpose of this thread. If you want some recommendations for books to educate yourself. Please PM me. There are a couple of books on Google to read. I personally enjoyed In The Plex, but it's going to be dated by now.

P.S. Since you included job history let me include mine. Network Engineer.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom