Elvis dumervil has high probability of getting cut tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Red thumbing every "how can we afford him" statement or anything that resembles that from now on. If we want him they'll find a way if not so be it. It's all speculation at this point. Flame on.

Red thumbing every "how can we afford him" statement or anything that resembles that from now on. If we want him they'll find a way if not so be it. It's all speculation at this point. Flame on.

Agreed, I'm getting tired of hearing we can't afford this player or that player.

Agreed, I'm getting tired of hearing how we can't afford this player or that player.

We can afford any player in the league but the question when you are tight against the cap is should we? To sign Elvis we will have to either finance the spending into the next two seasons which we have already done a lot of or start cutting players. If we were wanting a player like Elvis then I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have kept Smith or Vilma.

We can afford any player in the league but the question when you are tight against the cap is should we? To sign Elvis we will have to either finance the spending into the next two seasons which we have already done a lot of or start cutting players. If we were wanting a player like Elvis then I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have kept Smith or Vilma.

Its an irrelevant question, if we consider that the cap is nothing more than a make believe gimmick. Its highly inaccurate, and it can easily be manipulated by every GM to their liking. Plus compared to reality is totally make believe stuff. It doesn't count the real spending, therefore every year GMs manipulate it. Last year the cap was $122mills.....but the Saints spent $170mills.....yet the cap only shown $122mills.

This is why when fans are horrified about going over the cap, Loomis renegotiate the contracts to fit everything into the cap. But it has nothing to do with reality. The cap is a counting devise, showing only the money GMs are willing to show.

Trust me, every player is well aware I say...... that a GM is asking this question well before any other question....."is the player willing to renegotiate"? Of course the player is vell advised to say yes.....and why not....who isn't ready to get his yearly salary on one lump sum as a bonus, in order to help the GM to spread that money around for the remaining years, so there isn't a cap hit ever. Fans think the Saints don't have money to spend......but if last year is any indication, the Saints are one of the bigger spenders of real money than the majority of the teams in the league.

Namdi and his agent know all this....it is quite possible that the Saints have room well in advance of his coming.....if they want to land Namdi. How they fit his salary into the cap is something Loomis will do every time to benefit the club. Why not?.....Everybody else does it....

Its an irrelevant question, if we consider that the cap is nothing more than a make believe gimmick. Its highly inaccurate, and it can easily be manipulated by every GM to their liking. Plus compared to reality is totally make believe stuff. It doesn't count the real spending, therefore every year GMs manipulate it. Last year the cap was $122mills.....but the Saints spent $170mills.....yet the cap only shown $122mills.

This is why when fans are horrified about going over the cap, Loomis renegotiate the contracts to fit everything into the cap. But it has nothing to do with reality. The cap is a counting devise, showing only the money GMs are willing to show.

Trust me, every player is well aware I say...... that a GM is asking this question well before any other question....."is the player willing to renegotiate"? Of course the player is vell advised to say yes.....and why not....who isn't ready to get his yearly salary on one lump sum as a bonus, in order to help the GM to spread that money around for the remaining years, so there isn't a cap hit ever. Fans think the Saints don't have money to spend......but if last year is any indication, the Saints are one of the bigger spenders of real money than the majority of the teams in the league.

Namdi and his agent know all this....it is quite possible that the Saints have room well in advance of his coming.....if they want to land Namdi. How they fit his salary into the cap is something Loomis will do every time to benefit the club. Why not?.....Everybody else does it....

I agree to an extent.

This has worked in the past because of a cap number that steadily increased from one year to the next. Teams just continue to push money forward while the cap increases but when the cap stops increasing for 4 straight years and a team like the Saints that have been competitive for years and increasingly pushing money over without having a rebuilding year to eat up all the money pushed forward it begins to get challenging. It becomes even more challenging when you have a player like Brees who has 4 good seasons left on his contract where we wont want to drop a bunch of big salaries, rebuild without spending much to eat up all the money pushed forward from past seasons.

We are now at the point that any money spent this season will make it increasingly difficult for us to both sign free agents in the future and to retain players. I realize we can save cap space by releasing Smith, Vilma and Harper next season but we also have quite a bit of money pushed forward from the past two seasons that we'll be on the hook for, plus we'll have to pay Jimmy Graham and BDLP.

We sign Elvis to a 1 year contract, gives him a chance to prove himself for one last big contract, allows us to sign him to a nice contract while not being on the hook long term.

The guy just turned 29 years old. All of his pass rushing peers with similar numbers are making more than $10 million a year. He is currently on the Broncos roster scheduled to make $12 million this season. He doesn't have to prove anything, he has 37.5 sacks in the last three seasons despite playing out of position at times.

If he is cut, the only thing going for us is a lot of teams are tight against the cap but there is a 0% chance of him signing a 1 year deal and there is very little chance he gets less than $8 million per season.

I agree to an extent.

This has worked in the past because of a cap number that steadily increased from one year to the next. Teams just continue to push money forward while the cap increases but when the cap stops increasing for 4 straight years and a team like the Saints that have been competitive for years and increasingly pushing money over without having a rebuilding year to eat up all the money pushed forward it begins to get challenging. It becomes even more challenging when you have a player like Brees who has 4 good seasons left on his contract where we wont want to drop a bunch of big salaries, rebuild without spending much to eat up all the money pushed forward from past seasons.

We are now at the point that any money spent this season will make it increasingly difficult for us to both sign free agents in the future and to retain players. I realize we can save cap space by releasing Smith, Vilma and Harper next season but we also have quite a bit of money pushed forward from the past two seasons that we'll be on the hook for, plus we'll have to pay Jimmy Graham and BDLP.

I agree with all of this, if at the end of every contract, GMs have to bring the cap in line......that is, after 5 years when all the money is paid out to Drew Brees....$100mills. to be exact...the cap should show that too.....but it doesn't!

GMs have 2 extra years to fit the money under the cap.....So Loomis has 2 more extra years to show that all the money spent to Brees is accounted for. That's why the cap is so unrealistic, b/c Loomis can manipulate the cap in multiple ways. That's why Brees got paid $40mills after 1 year, but Loomis only had shown $10mills under the cap, what it paid to Brees .....that's a $30mills money given to Brees which was unaccounted for last year.

Now this is in sports....or in the NFL only. But this is no different in reality either. Look what the US Gov is doing....they spend money like drunken sailors....ever so often there is a cry out to stop the madness..........sure they pretend to listen, but then they go on to do exactly the same thing they've been doing since the beginning. But all the better & smarter economists are in it too.....they have to spend money to create more of everything they need. Its the nature of creating more and more wealth.

The NFL is no different. They have a good mechanism in place, and look where the NFL is today.....a huge money making machine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom