Elysium (1 Viewer)

This movie sucked. All the characters were pretty bad. Matt Damon is the only one with a semi-decent performance. But his acting couldn't save the horrible writing.

Jodie Foster was awful. I mean, real awful. On top of her lousy acting, she had this French (I guess you can call it that) accent that was one of the worst I've heard on screen.

And don't get me started on the shaky-cam "fight" scenes.

I saw it this weekend and like others I recommend you avoid it at all costs.

My lady friend and I were trying to decide if we should eat before or after the move so when we purchased the tickets online we noted that the movie was just over 1.5 hours so we'd eat after.

You might be wondering why I bring up the length of the movie. Well, this could have been salvageable if they took another 1/2 hour to explain the motivations of the citizens of Elysium. I suppose I'm supposed to be satisfied that they are just rich, heartless, racist, classist d-bags.

The whole thing just didn't make sense to me. With the ease that the EMT shuttles were deployed I don't understand why there was so much effort to prevent those that needed lifesaving treatment from getting it. It is not like treating people on Earth would somehow diminish the quality of life on Elysium since this is not an either or proposition.

It coulda been really good, it just kinda fell short. Good enough to kill time, but nothing really memorable. I thought the "Kruger" character (bad guy) was the best and most entertaining thing about the movie.

Saw it in IMAX today. The best part was the preview for Ender's Game

I really, really hope they do justice to how hard the experience was on Ender.
The little dude was nearly dead by the end.

His later guilt issues are his own problem, I don't see the reason for them.

My biggest worry is that they give away the ending. Even the trailer felt a little spoilerish

I saw it this weekend and like others I recommend you avoid it at all costs.

My lady friend and I were trying to decide if we should eat before or after the move so when we purchased the tickets online we noted that the movie was just over 1.5 hours so we'd eat after.

You might be wondering why I bring up the length of the movie. Well, this could have been salvageable if they took another 1/2 hour to explain the motivations of the citizens of Elysium. I suppose I'm supposed to be satisfied that they are just rich, heartless, racist, classist d-bags.

The whole thing just didn't make sense to me. With the ease that the EMT shuttles were deployed I don't understand why there was so much effort to prevent those that needed lifesaving treatment from getting it. It is not like treating people on Earth would somehow diminish the quality of life on Elysium since this is not an either or proposition.

I think that was kind of the message of the movie as it relates to the political-type message: it really wasn't a big deal to give the people of Earth that healthcare, much in the same way it wouldn't impact the world's richest 5% to give up 1% of their wealth. Not give it away, but pay it forward with higher wages, more jobs, lower cost of goods, etc. Just like deploying those health units had no impact on the quality of life on Elysium, sharing the wealth would have no discernible impact on the people giving it up now, but think about the difference it'd make for the people that benefit from it. If it's so easy to do, why don't they do it? Because it's theirs and they don't want to. Doesn't make it right or wrong, I just think that was the message they were going for.

I think that was kind of the message of the movie as it relates to the political-type message: it really wasn't a big deal to give the people of Earth that healthcare, much in the same way it wouldn't impact the world's richest 5% to give up 1% of their wealth. Not give it away, but pay it forward with higher wages, more jobs, lower cost of goods, etc. Just like deploying those health units had no impact on the quality of life on Elysium, sharing the wealth would have no discernible impact on the people giving it up now, but think about the difference it'd make for the people that benefit from it. If it's so easy to do, why don't they do it? Because it's theirs and they don't want to. Doesn't make it right or wrong, I just think that was the message they were going for.

That very well may be the case but the difference as I see it is that the citizens of Elysium give up absolutly nothing should they have decided to help the citizens of Earth. They are in exactly the same position, not even 1% less wealthy.

There are a number of very wealthy people that give large sums of their wealth to charity or to create foundations that help those less fortunate.

I'm just not at all satisfied that I understand the motivation other than the director/writer didn't think it was worth telling a story with reasonable characters.

So I saw it today (with a free movie ticket) and I was solidly entertained. Not totally amazing but not terrible either. Solidly entertaining enough.

if I combine what you said with the two negative reports then I get a movie with "cool" special affects but not substance. That is the very definition of what is wrong with 95 percent of Hollywood today. Please stop reviewing movies so that Hollywood will be forced to be creative again. :jpshakehead:

Don't listen to these guys, man. It was a great movie. Plenty of substance. Great main character, and a great villian in Jodie Foster. Well acted, good script, well directed....and yes plenty of action with a great payoff in the final 5 minutes. This is not a "blow stuff up" pacific rim type action blockbuster.

i think this director has a huge future. District 9 and now Elysium is already a pretty damned good track record.

Don't listen to these guys, man. It was a great movie. Plenty of substance. Great main character, and a great villian in Jodie Foster. Well acted, good script, well directed....and yes plenty of action with a great payoff in the final 5 minutes. This is not a "blow stuff up" pacific rim type action blockbuster.

i think this director has a huge future. District 9 and now Elysium is already a pretty damned good track record.

no

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom