Email, Outlook Question... (1 Viewer)

Which part are you having trouble with? Are you trying to set up yahoo or sbcglobal? IMAP or POP?

Buzd, I am completely ignorant about all of it. I already have the yahoo account but my address ends in sbgclobal.net and have had it for years. I am trying to launch Outlook and have it as how I view and organize my emails. I used to have Outlook years ago and loved the user interface.

So, I really don't know WHAT the problem is but every time I get to the last portion of the Outlook setup phase, I receive an error message that test to send an email has been interrupted.

Why are you calling it a yahoo account if your address ends in sbcglobal.net? That doesn't make sense.

I assume your service provider is ATT/SBC ? And you are on their network?

Because I have to log onto yahoo.com to access my mail. Unless somehow I am mistaken. But AT&T is my ISP. Does that help?

So do you have "use secure connection" checked?

att has joined with yahoo for webmail -

personally Im not a big fan of imap, if youre only checking mail on yahoo and one pc with outlook id use pop - imap is good for multiple devices as it will show messages read/deleted on all devices when read on any device- pop you have to read/delete on all devices for them to reflect as read/deleted - in other words if you have email on phone and laptop - when u read email oh phone it will still show as unread on laptop if using pop - if using imap it will show as read on both phone and laptop when its read on either device - I avoid imap when possible

here is a link to settings - make sure you use full email as username

http://tekeaseonsite.com/tektips/att-sbc-email-settings-for-outlook/

So do you have "use secure connection" checked?
I am not sure. I don't know where that option is. I'll have to try again and see.

personally Im not a big fan of imap, if youre only checking mail on yahoo and one pc with outlook id use pop - imap is good for multiple devices as it will show messages read/deleted on all devices when read on any device- pop you have to read/delete on all devices for them to reflect as read/deleted - in other words if you have email on phone and laptop - when u read email oh phone it will still show as unread on laptop if using pop - if using imap it will show as read on both phone and laptop when its read on either device - I avoid imap when possible

Thanks, I will check this out.

I tried this and and know I am getting even more error messages.

* Log onto incoming mail server (OP3): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)

* Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 authentication required - for help go to AT&T Customer Service - Wireless, Internet, U-verse & Home Phone Support

The second error means you don't have "my outgoing server requires authentication" checked.

The first could mean a lot of things, but you might not have the right port (change 110 to 995), and make sure "this server requires an encrypted connection" is checked. Make sure you are using your entire email address as the user name and that your password is correct.

A lot of ISP's don't allow you to send email with someone else's servers. So if AT&T is your ISP, they'll insist you send using the AT&T SMTP server.

So if you have the incoming info for Sbcglobal, you'll need the outgoing for AT&T.

Like so:

Pop3: Mail.sbcglobal.net SMTP: Mail.att.com

If AT&T wants you to authenticate on the outbound side, you'll end up with two different passwords for what looks like the same account.

You'll also want to be sure that the "Reply to" area has your sbcglobal info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom