Peter King "Embedded in New Orleans: The Ritz, the Rout and the Reason the Saints Are Unstoppable" - Mod edit (1 Viewer)

It’s so much fun to have so many players and coaches who are so dedicated to their craft.

love it, nice find

Great read. Don't know why I'm surprised that players and coaches are up that late working on plays the night before a game. Shows how little I know and how much work goes into this

Side note re: King: Haven't read a column of his in years and I have to reconsider that choice. He is a good writer that puts out a column in which the players and coaches of the greatest game in the world are so much more real than a TV broadcast could ever present. And he's been doing it a long time. Probably past time for me to let bygones be . . . well, not as prevalent anymore.

I can't look at that OP photo without wondering if Drew could be coaching the Saints some day.
He could play the role of Sean Payton 2.0 better than anyone we could imagine!

That was excellent thank you. I saw that no qb bunch play and I damn sure turned and looked at my daughter and said “let’s see what coach pulls here”

Outstanding. This was one of my favorite lines (skeptics and analysts always want to say we’re gonna have a trap game - but we all know that Sean and Drew don’t ever look beyond the next opponent):

SeanPayton said:
[The Eagles] have to win this game. Let’s go win another one.

Because it’s the next one.

Peter King has always been a great writer, even when he was being a jerk in his younger days. He’s got skills.

Meh, I don’t think King is that great a writer. He sets the table in the piece well and then comes up with only “it’s a great to be a fan offensive football.”

The good parts of that piece are based on access, not King’s perspective or insight.

Sorry, I just haven’t forgiven this rat yet from his behavior during Bountygate. Payton may have, but he’s got different motivations than I do. I intend to hang on to my grudge against Peter King for a long time.

I don’t trust him, and I don’t like his Mrs. Dountfire looking fupa being in the team meetings. He’s probably on the horn with Dan Quinn right now. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Any sportswriter with an MVP vote needs to read this piece. Does Patrick Mahomes influence his team’s success in the planning phase like Brees does? There’s no way - if you’re taking about “most valuable”, this stuff matters.

Mahomes isn’t capable of that kind of value yet. He’s just not. And Gurley? GTHOH.

What was also encouraging is how they are getting Taysom involved. They are actively grooming him in a way I haven't seen a future prospect QB on any other team. Not only is he learning the QB position academically, he's learning QB, TE, WR, RB actively on the field...all without taking away a significant number of snaps from your number 1 QB.

Future prospect QBs usually don't get this kind of play time unless the starter goes out to an injury...and then they are thrown to the wolves. He's getting eased in, and he's getting a comprehensive understanding how offenses work.

Whether or not he ends up being "the guy" after Brees is done is up in the air...what's for certain is that Taysom would have NEVER gotten this experience at Green Bay, or any other team.

I liked the personal touches he includes. I agree King is a great writer because he gets that, as technical as the game is, it's played by humans who are interesting and fallible. I loved the bit about going to talk to Austin Carr while he was playing piano and asking him what the song was called and him saying "I haven't named it yet".

Side note; great to see the team getting national exposure again... I'm getting more excited as this season progresses!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom