Emmanuel Butler - finally proven to be the next Onome Ojo (2 Viewers)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
Onome was one of my favorite players back in the day. Now comes along Emmanuel. I really thought he would make it but now he's gone. I wish him well. I still think he's better than Humphreys but I guess Peyton didn't.

I was surprised to see to see him being released. He had been doing so well in camp. But there could be a few reasons he was let go. 1- Was Callaway a better option? We didn't hear or see very much about him. 2- How consistent was his hands? We only got to see a few of his highlights. 3- waqs he a good downfield blocker on running plays? That makes a big difference with Payton. And there may be some other reasons that we don't know.

I was surprised to see to see him being released. He had been doing so well in camp. But there could be a few reasons he was let go. 1- Was Callaway a better option? We didn't hear or see very much about him. 2- How consistent was his hands? We only got to see a few of his highlights. 3- waqs he a good downfield blocker on running plays? That makes a big difference with Payton. And there may be some other reasons that we don't know.
I think to Payton plans on using Deonte, Montgomery and Taysom as receiving options frequently. Plus Callaway must have really flashed and he impressed on special teams. That bumped Bennie Fowler to practice squad thereby probably displacing Butler.

The book's not necessarily closed on Butler, either. He might latch on somewhere else. Or else he might stay a FA and make it back onto the Saints' practice squad later this season. Never really know.

When I saw he got cut, I thought to myself, "Holy crap! Everyone was convinced he was the #2 behind Thomas, and the answer to our WR woes." About 30 minutes later I realized Emmanuel Butler was not Emmanuel Sanders.
Oh, snap. Just realized the mistake I've been making

I think to Payton plans on using Deonte, Montgomery and Taysom as receiving options frequently. Plus Callaway must have really flashed and he impressed on special teams. That bumped Bennie Fowler to practice squad thereby probably displacing Butler.
Those are very good points. It looks to me that it was a numbers game and Butler was just forced out. Looks like we are stacked the WR position.

He started off on fire last year. Then he got hurt and then he was just meh in the preseason games.

This year he had a relatively quiet camp and unfortunately never got a chance to show anything in preseason.

Meanwhile, Calloway is going to play a primary role on ST, so the decision was made.

WR more than any other position seems to lend itself to camp beasts. I was convinced Adrian Arrington was going to be a star.

The Butler hype was a product of -

the talking heads desperately searching for something/anything to talk about last Saints training camp. Last year’s Saints team was a drama free group of veterans and rookies so there wasn’t much to talk about so when the UDFA Butler flashed some ability they went overboard talking about him.

Weakness in the Saints WR corp after CGM. It wasn’t hard for Butler to shine when compared to guys like Trequan Smith, Austin Carr, Keith Kirkwood, Lil’Jordan Humphries. After CGM that was a roster filled with JAGs.

It was pretty easy to figure out that Butler was all hype when the team suffered through a rash of WR injuries and Butler never even sniffed the 53 man roster. The Saints even signed and played journeyman WR Rishard Matthews instead of calling up Butler.

Like quite a few here I bought into the artificially created Butler hype. Now that it’s over let’s hope it’s because WR depth is massively improved.

WR more than any other position seems to lend itself to camp beasts. I was convinced Adrian Arrington was going to be a star.
Steve Korte was talking about this on WW radio early last season during one of the pregame shows. Korte was saying that WRs and CBs can stand out to onlookers (media and fans) during 7-and-7 drills in shorts-&-shells ... but that standing out in 7-on-7s meant little to the coaching staff. It was contact drills and preseason performance that mattered.

It was pretty easy to figure out that Butler was all hype when the team suffered through a rash of WR injuries and Butler never even sniffed the 53 man roster. The Saints even signed and played journeyman WR Rishard Matthews instead of calling up Butler.
FYI Matthews was a Saint in preseason camp only, leaving the team midway through the first preseason game. He retired two days later. He never played a regular season snap and certainly wasn't signed ahead of Butler as suggested here.

Last edited:
When I looked up Butlers preseason stats from last season ... I saw that he had no catches at all during the first two preseason games. I am trying to remember ... wasn't Butler hurt for one of those games? And then for the other, he had two (?) rough drops?

He caught four short balls (4 for 27) in the 3rd preseason game and two footballs (2 for 20) in the last preseason game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom