Emmanuel Sanders (1 Viewer)

Keep or trade?

• Total voters

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
14 games - 796 receiving yards - 5 touchdowns - 33 first downs by reception.

Fans spent several years prior to the 2020 season claiming that we were missing a bona fide "Z" receiver/second receiver to Mike Thomas. At different stages we added Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall in-season (though neither saw the field and the latter still appears to be aggrieved by it any time he gets an opportunity to speak about the Saints publicly), although they were probably slot guys by the time we did. Between the users on Saints Report, we probably created a cumulative total of 400 threads on this forum querying whether TQS, Ginn, Austin Carr, Lil' Jordan or any other number of late selections or UDFAs could step up to fill the role and give us the kind of production we saw from Manny. Plainly, none of them could, though it is fair to say that we saw some improvement from TQS during this past season.

The team finally did something about it when they went and added Sanders this year, and for mine, his impact was pronounced. The circumstances were different with Thomas unavailable for a long stretch - and on that view it was even more fortunate that we added him in the off-season. With a full complement of offensive players available, we are clearly less predictable with both Thomas and Sanders on the field lining up out wide (not to mention Kamara, Hill, etc.).

However, we all know that the cap predicament for 2021 is less than ideal. Hard decisions will have to be made. It seems to me that we can save between $6 million and $8 million if we cut Sanders (pre-June 1) or trade him. He also turns 34 in March.

For what it's worth, I'm an unabashed fan. He works hard, has reliable hands, has demonstrated no egotistical or diva-like tendencies, seems professional in his approach (aside from showing up to the facility without a sense of taste that one time and not recognising he might be infected with COVID19, which clearly drew the ire of the head coach). He would also appear to be a solid locker room presence in circumstances where there might be something of a leadership vacuum next year. To my eye, he also seems to have good speed which could render him even more productive paired with a QB like Winston who can hit him in stride with a deep pass. Those images of him running all over our defence and scoring two first-half touchdowns when the 49ers beat us in the Dome in 2019 are still etched into my memory.

I think we should find a way to keep him, but accept that if it comes down to a choice between Sanders and a guy on defence like Jackrabbit (or even T-Rex, if keeping him around is more than a pipe dream at this point), we might have seen the last of him in a Saints uniform. Perhaps it will depend on whether Payton thinks we can get similar production at the position from Callaway and/or Harris, assuming of course that Deonte can even keep healthy.

Whaddya reckon?

Cut because of the salary. But I wouldn’t mind bringing him back at a lower number if he doesn’t get big offers elsewhere.
back only with a cut in salary . He has loss a lot of quickness in his cuts and overall speed. He is only an average route runner now, which means he does not get separation. We need some talent at receiver but not average skills.

Keep only if he restructures. Good numbers in year one in our offense with little offseason prep. Imagine with Winston or someone with a bigger arm. More deep plays to Sanders please! He knows how to get those or draw a flag.

Sanders was great. We couldn't even fully utilize him sadly, because Brees couldn't throw deep.

It's no surprise that Sanders had his only two long bombs of the season with Taysom at starter. Great locker room guy too. I'd love to keep him but I'm sure he's going to be on the list of casualties as the team builds towards 2022 and beyond.

He’s a must keep. You don’t know how a rookie wide receiver is going to perform. And you don’t save that much compared to other guys you can cut.

We’re going to have to use all of our draft picks and not trade any of them.

drafting a wide receiver in the first 2 rounds is also a must.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom