Emotionally moving Movie Scenes (Contains Spoiler Tags) (1 Viewer)

And then there is this...

The whole movie of Fireproof hit me pretty hard... especially after I had my first child.

most everyone is taking this as 'poignant/sad' (which is fine), but i like the idea of including things like American History X or maybe some aesthetically moving scenes

LANGUAGE
few things in life are more cringey that Happiness - i could not find the particular scene between the son and his sexual predator dad (BLEEEGGHHH) but here was a clip breakdown of several of the scene

OTOH
just a beautiful scene - The Fox Wedding from Kurosawa's Dreams (several of the 'dreams' could go here)

Bob Fosse's courage and ego it takes to essentially document what will be his demise always moves me

general badassery is its own moving category - and most scenes from Josey Wales or Tombstone could go here. But i always loved Scott Glenn/Emmitt's reaction to "They took the little boy with them"

then of course there is moving ideas - dictionary scene from Malcolm X

and sometimes just the commitment to absurdity

and then the movies that remember that moving pictures are moving pictures

This one always gets me when he says "mom" as a parent I can't imagine having to see my kid go through something like that.

most everyone is taking this as 'poignant/sad' (which is fine), but i like the idea of including things like American History X or maybe some aesthetically moving scenes

LANGUAGE
few things in life are more cringey that Happiness - i could not find the particular scene between the son and his sexual predator dad (BLEEEGGHHH) but here was a clip breakdown of several of the scene

OTOH
just a beautiful scene - The Fox Wedding from Kurosawa's Dreams (several of the 'dreams' could go here)

Bob Fosse's courage and ego it takes to essentially document what will be his demise always moves me

general badassery is its own moving category - and most scenes from Josey Wales or Tombstone could go here. But i always loved Scott Glenn/Emmitt's reaction to "They took the little boy with them"

then of course there is moving ideas - dictionary scene from Malcolm X

and sometimes just the commitment to absurdity

and then the movies that remember that moving pictures are moving pictures

Good additions, and correct...wow moments or eye opening are definitely welcome. In that vein I'll offer up this scene from Whiplash. J.K. Simmons won an Academy Award for best supporting actor for his portrayal of Terrence Fletcher, a notoriously harsh Jazz ensemble instructor with controversial teaching methods.

In this scene, he teaches an enthusiastic young drummer who is eager to become great (played by Miles Teller), the difference between rushing and dragging...

After that scene, I was just sitting there going, "oh sheet".

Last edited:
Good additions, and correct...wow moments or eye opening are definitely welcome. In that vein I'll offer up this scene from Whiplash. J.K. Simmons won an Academy Award for best supporting actor for his portrayal of Terrence Fletcher, a notoriously harsh Jazz ensemble instructor with controversial teaching methods.

In this scene, he teaches an enthusiastic young drummer who is eager to become great (played by Miles Teller), the difference between rushing and dragging...

while i don't advocate slapping students, anyone (dancer) who has tried to follow the meandering rhythms of live drumming can appreciate this scene

One of my all time favorite scenes from one of my all time favorite movies. I get moved every time I see it. And the emotion I feel is one that I think is hard to capture in movies. Moving people to laughter, tears, or anger, that's impressive for a movie for sure, but stirring a feeling of defiance in someone? I'd bet that's probably harder than the aforementioned. The scenes that pull it off usually involve people standing up or standing out from the crowd, like so...

or even...

(I could write a term paper on this scene, but that's another thread)

But the scene, I want to highlight pulls off its act of defiance in an emotionally charged way that is both simultaneously more and less direct than just standing up in direct opposition across from your enemy. The tension is thick. The politics are convoluted and messy. The acts of defiance are numerous, and the trigger...a song, just a song. The tension is thick and the wheels set in motion, potentially dangerous for all involved directly and indirectly. It's really a multifaceted scene that leaves the allegiance of everyone involved somewhat in doubt except for the obvious villian. The person who starts it, the person who allowed it, and the person who initially did nothing...all acts of defiance in their own way. A truly great scene.

The scene, from Casablanca, begins as we've been led to believe every night in Rick's starts, with people of various backgrounds, status, and troubles talking, drinking and listening to music...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom