Emotionally moving Movie Scenes (Contains Spoiler Tags) (1 Viewer)

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Okay, this thread is for movies scenes that were so incredibly moving or well done that they stand out from the movie itself. This thread is about scenes that fully grabbed your attention, made you cry, made you sigh with exhaustion when they ended. I'm talking about the scenes that made you turn to someone and say, "wow."

There's a few that I could share, but I'll start with the scene that made me think to start this thread. This weekend my wife and I watched a French film about the life of Edith Piaf, La Vie En Rose. I know I know...a boring foreign film? Hear me out. A little background, Marion Cotillard won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her betrayal of the troubled singer. If you can stomach subtitles, her life was pretty interesting and it makes for a good movie despite what was left out of it (helping French troops escape Germans during WW2). While it was good movie, there's one scene that felt incredible. A real acting tour de force, the scene I'm referring to was created in one continuous shot.

Edith has convinced her lover, a world champion boxer Marcel Cerdan, to take a flight from Paris to New York to visit her.

If you're going to watch the movie one day, I wouldn't watch the scene but if not...here it is...

So what do you have? I suspect not many people had seen or remember this movie so I thought it would be a good one to start. There's one movie scene that I'm thinking of that I think will definitely make the first page.

I can't believe I never saw that movie because I love both Edith Piaf and Marion Cotillard but I haven't yet. I do plan to so I won't watch the scene.

I've mentioned it before but the "wanna have a catch" scene in Field of Dreams is it for me. I've never played baseball, never had a catch with my dad but it gets me every time.

I just mentioned the documentary I just saw on the Cohen thread. Marianne on her death bed listening to the final letter Leonard wrote to her had me gutted:

"Dearest Marianne,

I'm just a little behind you, close enough to take your hand. This old body has given up, just as yours has too.

I've never forgotten your love and your beauty. But you know that. I don't have to say any more. Safe travels old friend. See you down the road. Endless love and gratitude."

French film about the life of Edith Piaf, La Vie En Rose.....Marion Cotillard won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her betrayal of the troubled singer.

This doesn't answer the question, however an interesting link. In the movie Inception (2010), which Marion Cotillard is in as well, the song you always hear in the background is Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien, by Edith Piaf...who Cotillard plays in La Vie En Rose (2007).

Emotionally moving huh... You don't specify which emotion, but the curb-stomp scene in American History X disturbed me. Deeply disturbed me. Like I couldn't get that image and horror out of my head. It made me think about a part of society I had never even considered. Looking back now, who knew how prescient it was...

Might be considered childish because it's from a cartoon, and maybe it's more effective if you've seen the rest of the movie, but everything about this scene - the callbacks, the music, the emotional beats - wrecks me every time I see it.

Emotionally moving huh... You don't specify which emotion, but the curb-stomp scene in American History X disturbed me. Deeply disturbed me. Like I couldn't get that image and horror out of my head. It made me think about a part of society I had never even considered. Looking back now, who knew how prescient it was...

Yes! You're bring back trauma with that one.

Mustafa dying... :mecry:

Or more seriously...

The lashing scene in Glory

From my favorite movie of all time:
Sorry I don’t know how to hide it with the spoiler alert, but if you haven’t seen Rocky I by now.....what’s wrong with you?????
Sly wasn’t the greatest of actors, but he held his own with Burgues Meredith (an old school Hollywood actor).

Too many to name, but the letter scene in Mr. Roberts towards the end of the movie always comes to mind. Will Smith's speech on the court in The Pursuit of Happyness (Gets me every time). There's also the end of Bang the Drum Slowly. As legendary as De Niro is, he still somehow feels under-appreciated.

Might be considered childish because it's from a cartoon, and maybe it's more effective if you've seen the rest of the movie, but everything about this scene - the callbacks, the music, the emotional beats - wrecks me every time I see it.

That movie is just pure amazing from beginning to end.

If I could submit another one....
I find this scene between James Dean and Rock Hudson one of the top classics of all time.
I read that Rock Hudson was upset b/c James Dean was using a prop (a rock tied to a rope) to keep the attention and steal the scene.
From 1955s "Giant":

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom