Employee Self-Evaluations (1 Viewer)

They want to see who's a liar. Haha

Seriously though I think it's more to have you look inward and come to an understanding of what your strengths and weaknesses are. Someone can tell you what you need to work on but that's not as effective if you realize it yourself. At least that's always been my theory. The reality is they're almost as stupid as peer evaluations.

Slight hijack.

A few years ago, I was introduced to "360" evaluations by my director

Long story short...I would be evaluated by my manager, my contemporaries, and my subordinates.

Conversely, my manager would be evaluated by his employees, his contemporaries (other managers), and his supervisor (our director).

We were assured this evaluation policy had been adopted company-wide.

Come to find out, not only had the policy NOT been adopted company-wide, it wasn't even a departmental policy...only our division.

Which meant that we would evaluate our manager, but (as per "360") he wouldn't be evaluated by other departmental managers.

Which meant the pool of evaluation would be particularly small.

Screw that. If you're in the position of supervising people, do your job.

We evaluate ourselves, our direct management, and our executives overall.
There are definitively repercussions for managers who get poor reviews from their teams.

I hate the self evaluation part. Also the tools they have us use to submit are crappy.

They want to see who's a liar. Haha

Seriously though I think it's more to have you look inward and come to an understanding of what your strengths and weaknesses are. Someone can tell you what you need to work on but that's not as effective if you realize it yourself. At least that's always been my theory. The reality is they're almost as stupid as peer evaluations.
A lot of this.

Also, it's a good time to remind them that their one bone to pick with you is small (hopefully) compared to all that you do actually do. Highlight how much you do, if you get along with others, etc.

Currently, my boss doesn't have a lot of friendships here. I do. I can get things done with other groups. So can they, but in a bossy way. ha.

I probably take mine too seriously.

However, they never tie it to compensation, which is total garbage. At least at Lockheed, even though compensation was technically done a different closed door way, they timed it in a way, that you got a raise soon after your review. And good reviews usually meant normal to good raises.. bad review.. well.. little to no raise (never got one though).

Slight hijack.

A few years ago, I was introduced to "360" evaluations by my director

Long story short...I would be evaluated by my manager, my contemporaries, and my subordinates.

Conversely, my manager would be evaluated by his employees, his contemporaries (other managers), and his supervisor (our director).

We were assured this evaluation policy had been adopted company-wide.

Come to find out, not only had the policy NOT been adopted company-wide, it wasn't even a departmental policy...only our division.

Which meant that we would evaluate our manager, but (as per "360") he wouldn't be evaluated by other departmental managers.

Which meant the pool of evaluation would be particularly small.

Screw that. If you're in the position of supervising people, do your job.
Yeah, that's crap. It should be done across the board, to make it potentially meaningful.

At LMC, other than our manager/supervisor, we had to get a few 'contemporaries' to do a review, then the manager would put it all together. So, you never knew exactly who said what, but often you had an idea. You learn people's phrasing over time.

My first supervisor would always ask us, one on one, how he was doing. I'd give him the good and the bad.

I really think it's a waste of time. To an extent I can somewhat see the value in it, however most employees would like to give themselves a good rating so that their increase can turn out nice.

I think the evaluation process will start to lose its value because most annual raises do not amount to much anyway.

If the company really want evaluations to be taken more seriously, implement peer/department reviews and the incentive should be tied to a bonus.

I have to do a self evaluation every year. My results are compared against where my direct manager rates me on the same topics. During the review when my manager asks me where do I think the disconnect between where I see myself and how he sees me comes from I simply reply that "I have little control over your inability and failure as a team leader to recognize and accurately rate my abilities." We always laugh about it but we've been working together for 16 years.

I really think it's a waste of time. To an extent I can somewhat see the value in it, however most employees would like to give themselves a good rating so that their increase can turn out nice.

I think the evaluation process will start to lose its value because most annual raises do not amount to much anyway.

If the company really want evaluations to be taken more seriously, implement peer/department reviews and the incentive should be tied to a bonus.
What's an annual raise?

I think it can be somewhat of a "remind me what you did this year in regards to big accomplishments" thing to a point.
Then they want the "where can you improve?" part to see if you understand your weaknesses.

On average I believe it's anywhere between 2-4%
Ha, I meant I haven't had an "annual" raise in like 12 years. We do them every 18-24 months.. and we got screwed on our last one. Was supposed to be in Nov/Dec.. VP delayed it (cause they were too busy), Pandemic hits.. all raises frozen.. now on a part time schedule.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom