Employer mandated personal auto liability insurance limit? (1 Viewer)

I just think it's hilarious that he was obviously on reddit that much and had no thought that he should create a new account to do a huge IAMA, shows he has no future in politics.

Thanks, and I actually believe you're probably right for what actually happens when the claim gets processed.

I Googled around because the thread got me curious about that part and it seems almost all of the "you have to have it" claims come from insurers who want to sell more insurance, and a lot of IANAL or other forum threads saying "it depends".

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/m...urance-policies-are-not-just-for-big-business

They may be telling the truth and things may have changed over time. I know 30ish years ago when I delivered pizza to get through college I just had ordinary insurance. Never had a wreck on the job to put it to the test. It's interesting. Good to know that Uber/Lyft actually covers their contractors' vehicles not just their own liability though. I'd have expected those companies to just cover their own butt.

Well I wouldn't call it "have to have it".

If you want to keep the court from deciding your fate, then you get it and sleep well at night knowing you removed the "guesswork" of having another interpret the language for you.

What it boils down to is your appetite for risk. Simply put.

Yes Uber has a master policy for all uber operators...buy you must get with a carrier that allows you to use your vehicle as a taxi. Progressive just started about a month ago. First one to do so here

Edit...just read your link. That's called CYA. Lol
Gotta be really careful what you put in print. Best thing is always consult your agent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think what they mean by production roles, is any employee who is on a salary and not a hourly pay basis. Since I'm not hourly, any travel incident, even to the airport to fly to a company event, could have the potential for the company to be pulled into a claim/suit. They do pay us mileage and expenses, so I see around the internet that any stipend is usually added there.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think what they mean by production roles, is any employee who is on a salary and not a hourly pay basis. Since I'm not hourly, any travel incident, even to the airport to fly to a company event, could have the potential for the company to be pulled into a claim/suit. They do pay us mileage and expenses, so I see around the internet that any stipend is usually added there.

pay type doesnt matter. ( well it doesnt for legal aspects in La. )

If you are a "direct employee" of the company, you are operating under their direction. ( so to speak ). If told to "go there" and you go and get in an accident...u did so under the direction of the company. Thats a causation - accident may not have happened if you handt had to go "there".

So courts have determined companies bear some responsibility in some cases.

again, this isnt new.

Just that your company has gotten "risk averse" when it comes to auto -

The accounting firm I started working for a decade ago had a similar policy. There were two major departments audit and tax. The auditors were rarely in the office due to having to be at client sights so there were often on the road. At the time I had the state minimum coverage and did not change my policy but I do not recall how I got around my employer's policy (maybe because I was in tax and in the office more than 95% of the time).

Fast forward a few years to when I was hit by an F250 while riding my motorcycle... The diver had the state minimum coverage and that did not cover 1/2 the cost of my medical bills so he had to deal with the lawyers for the better part of two years. Moral of the story, 100/300 is the lowest I'll go especially since I have too much to lose now.

The accounting firm I started working for a decade ago had a similar policy. There were two major departments audit and tax. The auditors were rarely in the office due to having to be at client sights so there were often on the road. At the time I had the state minimum coverage and did not change my policy but I do not recall how I got around my employer's policy (maybe because I was in tax and in the office more than 95% of the time).

Fast forward a few years to when I was hit by an F250 while riding my motorcycle... The diver had the state minimum coverage and that did not cover 1/2 the cost of my medical bills so he had to deal with the lawyers for the better part of two years. Moral of the story, 100/300 is the lowest I'll go especially since I have too much to lose now.

Carrying low car insurance limits ranks pretty high up there on the list of foolish things people do in their ordinary lives.

Carrying low car insurance limits ranks pretty high up there on the list of foolish things people do in their ordinary lives.

There is a segment that truly believe that the "more you carry, the more someone will attempt to recover" ( aka hire attorney and go for policy limits)

I get that thought process. Because it seems darn near every accident down here results in a suit.

On the flip side...you would be absolutely foolish not to have higher limits. for one, its next to nothing to do. Two, in the event there is an accident with injury, you can rest assured you are probably ok, regarding limits. ( nothing is certain of course ;) . )

My kids school...private...has a policy that for field trips, parents load up cars with the kids and go. I FLIPPED OUT. I told my wife that there isnt enough insurance we can afford to cover in the event, god forbid, you lose control and kids are hurt. I sent a letter to Director and Principal telling them that we will not partake in "ferrying" children other than our own. They can either hire a charter bus, or they BEST have a NON-OWNED endorsement on General Liability or Auto policy.

There is a segment that truly believe that the "more you carry, the more someone will attempt to recover" ( aka hire attorney and go for policy limits)

I get that thought process. Because it seems darn near every accident down here results in a suit.

I don't get that thought process.

I don't get that thought process.

i know.

:ezbill:

These folks think "oh they comin after me". Well, no, thats what the insurance is for. But the problem is any large loss ( commercial side ) can adversely affect their next policy ( and a year or two after that ). Thats where they make the "connection" if you will.

so they think that by carrying higher limits, it opens themselves up to larger claims, and possibly making their insurance rates 2/3x higher.

Attorneys down here...are actively targeting commercial auto accidents via television and radio ads. Used to be 1-2 kinda delved into that ...Micheal Hingle/Morris Bart.

But you have no less than 5-7 every morning advertising specifically about "hit by a commercial vehicle? call me"

Its pretty widespread now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom