Ending the scourge of gender-reveal parties (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
At least two large wildfires have now been started by gender-reveal parties. People have died over gender-reveal explosions gone-wrong. How did we get here? What does this say about us as people? Are we that needy that this oddly celebrated “life event” needs to involve shooting things into the air, or blowing stuff up?

Even if you accept the idea that it’s fun and memorable to share this moment that has historically not been a thing people did with a party, how did we go from ‘seeing what color the cake is’ to ‘aerial incendiaries’? Are people that forking needy?

I think this needs a PSA campaign, sort of like ‘give a hoot, don’t pollute’ - any ideas?

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's strictly a "keeping up with the Jonses" thing sparked by social media and getting to post photos of the elaborate cakes and methods. We have long had an issue in this country of trying to out-do each other on material things, but like many problems social media has super-charged it.

It's not about celebrating the baby, it's about celebrating the parents and showing how much money/popularity they have. The "gender reveal" is just an excuse to do that so they can show how #blessed they are.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Gender-reveal responsibly"?

Clearly the problem is not with the gender-reveal party concept - it is with the need to use dangerous mechanisms to do it. Why does it have to involve explosions or alligators?
Do it like Brooklyn 99 with the cake that's a hidden color....

Just don't mix the colors by accident and have a green cake interior..haha.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No, and the defense would be that the massive wildfire was wholly unintended and the result of an accident. It would be hard for the justice system to balance those interests and the result would not likely be a true account for what happened.

That's why I think a PSA campaign would be more effective (as we have seen with the Smokey the Bear campaign by the US Forest Service to cut down on fires started by negligent campers).
My HS principal was famous for using the Smokey the Bear line on people acting like a fool...

"Only you can prevent forest fires" His way of saying, you reap what you sow, bro.

1599582333643.png

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's strictly a "keeping up with the Jonses" thing sparked by social media and getting to post photos of the elaborate cakes and methods. We have long had an issue in this country of trying to out-do each other on material things, but like many problems social media has super-charged it.

It's not about celebrating the baby, it's about celebrating the parents and showing how much money/popularity they have. The "gender reveal" is just an excuse to do that so they can show how #blessed they are.
#blessed, #nofilter, #goals, #genderreveal, #pregnancy, #omgpartyof3, #everydayissacred, #MiamiLife, #CaliforniaVibes, #winning, #skinnygirlproblems, #firstworldproblems, #sorrynotsorry, #transformationtuesday

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I never understood the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" thing. We do things we think will be worthwhile, not necessarily because anyone else does them.

And also, celebrating one's junk seems weird to me. It's neither junk, nor do we celebrate actual junk, so, :shrug:.

But hey, people are looking for any excuse to party or hang with others, so, more power to em. Just leave the pyros and gators at home.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I never understood the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" thing. We do things we think will be worthwhile, not necessarily because anyone else does them.

And also, celebrating one's junk seems weird to me. It's neither junk, nor do we celebrate actual junk, so, :shrug:.

But hey, people are looking for any excuse to party or hang with others, so, more power to em. Just leave the pyros and gators at home.

I actually read a great book about how materialized competitiveness was cultivated by advertising execs in the 50's and 60's. It's what drove the move of America to a consumerized consumption culture and coincided with the move to the suburbs. Before that your social circle was mostly your family and generally families lived in the same neighborhoods. As people branched out and found themselves living near-strangers there was a natural competitiveness that ad execs exploited. You didn't care if your grandma had a nicer car, but you care if Susie next door did.

The book was really about corporate upselling, but it compared how American society was completely transformed in those 2 decades to how you could leverage that same tactic ( "You know, Kraft actually uses this other module we offer..." ) to make executives feel the same competitive pull.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've told this before, but for our gender reveal we cut into a cake. Blue inside for a boy, pink for a girl. And just before we cut in, my father in law said "It better not be chocolate". I lost it.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
:confused2:

"The woman best known for popularizing gender reveal parties has a message for the world: Please stop.

This week, as more than 7,000 acres in California were burned after a gender reveal led to a massive wildfire in San Bernardino County, blogger Jenna Karvunidis -- who is largely
credited for creating the gender reveal party -- took to Facebook to condemn the over-the-top events.

"Stop having these stupid parties. For the love of God, stop burning things down to tell everyone about your kid's penis. No one cares but you," she wrote." ...

Good for her!!! 👍

If she started the celebrations, hopefully she can scale them back. “For the love of God”.....nobody cares about your kid’s penis, but you. So true.

The gender reveal party that I attended was just boring. Meet & celebrate the baby after they are born.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ll put up with the gender reveal parties if women stop showing off the sonograms of their fetuses.

I still haven’t figured out what to say when one of those is shoved in my face: “Ohhh yeaaah, well look at that, amazing what technology can do these days, congratulations, yep I see that, wonderful”

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll put up with the gender reveal parties if women stop showing off the sonograms of their fetuses.

I still haven’t figured out what to say when one of those is shoved in my face: “Ohhh yeaaah, well look at that, amazing what technology can do these days, congratulations, yep I see that, wonderful”
I've never had that happen to me. Perhaps it's just my grumpy nature finally paying off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom