Ending the scourge of gender-reveal parties (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
At least two large wildfires have now been started by gender-reveal parties. People have died over gender-reveal explosions gone-wrong. How did we get here? What does this say about us as people? Are we that needy that this oddly celebrated “life event” needs to involve shooting things into the air, or blowing stuff up?

Even if you accept the idea that it’s fun and memorable to share this moment that has historically not been a thing people did with a party, how did we go from ‘seeing what color the cake is’ to ‘aerial incendiaries’? Are people that forking needy?

I think this needs a PSA campaign, sort of like ‘give a hoot, don’t pollute’ - any ideas?

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
What's the point in proposing to your financé?
Maybe it wasn't a marriage proposal, but some other kind of more generic proposal.

Guy: Hey fiance lady, do you want to go eat at Arby's tonight?
Fiance lady: No, I would rather you drowned.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's the social media. People's desperate need to be popular no longer ending in High School. Everyone gets a medal, everyone is special. Instagram, Tik Tok, Twitter, facebook, etc, are brining our society down.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's the social media. People's desperate need to be popular no longer ending in High School. Everyone gets a medal, everyone is special. Instagram, Tik Tok, Twitter, facebook, etc, are brining our society down.
Are you saying social media creates it or just amplified it?
All that stuff existed before social media

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I'm interested in your ideas. Do you have a Twitter account I could follow?

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Papier mache storks and waxed felt diapers that held mint candies and oohing and aahing over gifts of Pampers were bad enough back in the olden days of baby showers. Trust me, people are only PRETENDING they care what the sex of your baby is. I want to be at your gender reveal party even less than I want to be at the conception of your evil spawn.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Are you saying social media creates it or just amplified it?
All that stuff existed before social media

Amplifies it. When you have riots breaking out due to misinformation and just snippets of a video before all the facts are known, when you have fake Twitter "witnesses" spouting nonsense to millions of followers, when you have unchecked Facebook memes stirring up the masses.....

Yes, we've always had vitriol, we've always had political spin. But in the past those things were either localized, or at least funneled through major industries that cut out the fat, now we have every Tom, Dick and Karen who are in control of the country's narrative on anything. Is there a subset of the country that can cut through all of that still? Yes, but it is a shrinking number of people.

No one waits for the facts anymore. Everyone jumps on the spin that suits their own personal narrative, and by the time the facts are out and someone presents them in a logical fashion, it is WAAAY to late.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Amplifies it. When you have riots breaking out due to misinformation and just snippets of a video before all the facts are known, when you have fake Twitter "witnesses" spouting nonsense to millions of followers, when you have unchecked Facebook memes stirring up the masses.....

Yes, we've always had vitriol, we've always had political spin. But in the past those things were either localized, or at least funneled through major industries that cut out the fat, now we have every Tom, Dick and Karen who are in control of the country's narrative on anything. Is there a subset of the country that can cut through all of that still? Yes, but it is a shrinking number of people.

No one waits for the facts anymore. Everyone jumps on the spin that suits their own personal narrative, and by the time the facts are out and someone presents them in a logical fashion, it is WAAAY to late.
so do you join me and others who say Media Literacy is one of the most important things to teach in school?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom