Ending the scourge of gender-reveal parties (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
At least two large wildfires have now been started by gender-reveal parties. People have died over gender-reveal explosions gone-wrong. How did we get here? What does this say about us as people? Are we that needy that this oddly celebrated “life event” needs to involve shooting things into the air, or blowing stuff up?

Even if you accept the idea that it’s fun and memorable to share this moment that has historically not been a thing people did with a party, how did we go from ‘seeing what color the cake is’ to ‘aerial incendiaries’? Are people that forking needy?

I think this needs a PSA campaign, sort of like ‘give a hoot, don’t pollute’ - any ideas?

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was at this moment Joe realized his plan, while painful, would pay off. He would never have to have another gender reveal party.
Their already-born child could have easily had some kind of facial injury had the dad not moved it right before firing it.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so do you join me and others who say Media Literacy is one of the most important things to teach in school?

Absolutely. We also need, not censorship, but punishments for social media platforms and their users for posting false or misleading information. Make people responsible for what they post. I am not talking police punishment, that is kind of stupid. I am talking bans, suspensions, and possibly monetary fines, especially for posts that contribute to violence. Like the rhetoric about Blake breaking up a fight between two white women and getting shot for it. Like Trump wanting people to vote twice. Like Barrack Obama wasn't born in America. Like Antifa is setting fires in Oregon. Like what CNN did to Sandmann.

Both sides are jumping on early, at best partially false statements and edited/clipped videos that is causing irreparable harm, both physically and mentally. There needs to be accountability. I believe in free speech, and I don't like censorship. But I see nothing wrong with allowing said free speech but holding people accountable for what they post on facebook/twitter.

I'm just not smart enough to know how to go about it. All I know is that I am tired of my alt-right friends posting outlandish, spinned truth, and I am tired of my liberal friends posting outlandish, spinned truth. It does nothing but further the divide in our country.

When a portion of our current election propaganda is trying to paint Biden as a dementia patient, when you have a leading Senator calling Peace in the Middle East a distraction, all in the name of trying to win an election, we need to take a step back and realize that we all are fighting for a better country and world.

We can fight til the cows come home about "which side is worse". That fight does nothing. We need to fight against the false rhetoric that pits two people against each other that might not really be that far apart as what they seem to be.

Things like this should be leading headlines:

People working together, and not trying for a winner take all attitude.

Last edited:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely. We also need, not censorship, but punishments for social media platforms and their users for posting false or misleading information. Make people responsible for what they post. I am not talking police punishment, that is kind of stupid. I am talking bans, suspensions, and possibly monetary fines, especially for posts that contribute to violence. Like the rhetoric about Blake breaking up a fight between two white women and getting shot for it. Like Trump wanting people to vote twice. Like Barrack Obama wasn't born in America. Like Antifa is setting fires in Oregon. Like what CNN did to Sandmann.

Both sides are jumping on early, at best partially false statements and edited/clipped videos that is causing irreparable harm, both physically and mentally. There needs to be accountability. I believe in free speech, and I don't like censorship. But I see nothing wrong with allowing said free speech but holding people accountable for what they post on facebook/twitter.

I'm just not smart enough to know how to go about it. All I know is that I am tired of my alt-right friends posting outlandish, spinned truth, and I am tired of my liberal friends posting outlandish, spinned truth. It does nothing but further the divide in our country.

When a portion of our current election propaganda is trying to paint Biden as a dementia patient, when you have a leading Senator calling Peace in the Middle East a distraction, all in the name of trying to win an election, we need to take a step back and realize that we all are fighting for a better country and world.

We can fight til the cows come home about "which side is worse". That fight does nothing. We need to fight against the false rhetoric that pits two people against each other that might not really be that far apart as what they seem to be.

Things like this should be leading headlines:

People working together, and not trying for a winner take all attitude.
man, i was with you every step of the way until that last 'both sides' paragraph
- and this is more in the hopes of extending the conversation vs a 'gotcha'
but you rightly call for accountability with mostly legit examples, but then you throw your hands up with a 'both sides do it'
of course you want to have consequences for particular instances, but you most certainly want to have significant penalties for patterns of disinformation
if 'both sides' have 50% culpability then they equally share the burden of consequence, if one is operating at a 70% clip and you throw out a 'both sides' complaint then it seems you're stepping into the same trap that you are railing against

and certainly the 'false rhetoric' is to be fought against, but not at the expense of exposing the real rhetoric that is being deployed and is some morphing of problematic rhetoric that has been used for decades/centuries

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
man, i was with you every step of the way until that last 'both sides' paragraph
but you rightly call for accountability with mostly legit examples, but then you throw your hands up with a 'both sides do it'
of course you want to have consequences for particular instances, but you most certainly want to have significant penalties for patterns of disinformation
if 'both sides' have 50% culpability then they equally share the burden of consequence, if one is operating at a 70% clip and you throw out a 'both sides' complaint then it seems you're stepping into the same trap that you are railing against

and certainly the 'false rhetoric' is to be fought against, but not at the expense of exposing the real rhetoric that is being deployed and is some morphing of problematic rhetoric that has been used for decades/centuries
Well, I'd say both sides...not equally, but really, who's counting?

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the "who is worse" discussion isn't fruitful. Fix the problem and the worse offenders get taken care of by default.

The problem is, who is the arbiter of truth? If someone says something really dumb, people talk about that, then someone comes in and explains what he "really meant" but it doesn't reflect his words at all do we punish the people that talk about what he really said? There's no way to hold people accountable for not telling the truth in a post-truth world. We live in a time where all things are true because, ultimately, nothing is fact. It makes enforcing some kind of Truth Police impossible, especially in a time where 90% of the population is carrying around heavy tribal biases. Who in the heck will we find unbiased enough to determine truth?

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

You can't deal with it as "sides". When you see misinformation, you dole out the consequence. If one side is that much worse as you claim, then they will get the most instances of "consequences". I left twitter a couple weeks ago, but before I left, I was seeing misinformation on both sides......hourly. Not 1 here, 2 there. Literally every hour the left and right were putting out half truths and stories with omissions, that throw the discussion in their favor and incite their base. This needs to stop. If we want to be that level of honest and that level of being a good country, then both sides need to stop NOW. Neither side will stop until they are forced to stop. And money still talks.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
You can't deal with it as "sides". When you see misinformation, you dole out the consequence. If one side is that much worse as you claim, then they will get the most instances of "consequences". I left twitter a couple weeks ago, but before I left, I was seeing misinformation on both sides......hourly. Not 1 here, 2 there. Literally every hour the left and right were putting out half truths and stories with omissions, that throw the discussion in their favor and incite their base. This needs to stop. If we want to be that level of honest and that level of being a good country, then both sides need to stop NOW. Neither side will stop until they are forced to stop. And money still talks.
No cares about being correct, they only care about "winning" the argument.

JLaneSaints

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the "who is worse" discussion isn't fruitful. Fix the problem and the worse offenders get taken care of by default.

The problem is, who is the arbiter of truth? If someone says something really dumb, people talk about that, then someone comes in and explains what he "really meant" but it doesn't reflect his words at all do we punish the people that talk about what he really said? There's no way to hold people accountable for not telling the truth in a post-truth world. We live in a time where all things are true because, ultimately, nothing is fact. It makes enforcing some kind of Truth Police impossible, especially in a time where 90% of the population is carrying around heavy tribal biases. Who in the heck will we find unbiased enough to determine truth?

This is where I acquiesce. I don't know who the Truth Police would be. What I am advocating for may not be possible, I fully admit. It's why I tip back a cold one at the end of the day and just try to live my life true to my word, and realize I can't control it.

I don't have the energy to fight this. I just don't. Maybe that makes me part of the problem. I used to be a big part of the problem. I used to be hateful, fire and brimstone racist jerk of an butt crevasse. Got me banned here along time ago. Rightfully so. And by you I believe. I've grown since then, and while I can't take back who I used to be, it has given me a unique perspective and talent for picking out the bullshirt. Which is why I think both sides are closer than most people believe or would like to think.

And now I'm rambling.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is where I acquiesce. I don't know who the Truth Police would be. What I am advocating for may not be possible, I fully admit. It's why I tip back a cold one at the end of the day and just try to live my life true to my word, and realize I can't control it.

I don't have the energy to fight this. I just don't. Maybe that makes me part of the problem. I used to be a big part of the problem. I used to be hateful, fire and brimstone racist jerk of an butt crevasse. Got me banned here along time ago. Rightfully so. And by you I believe. I've grown since then, and while I can't take back who I used to be, it has given me a unique perspective and talent for picking out the bullshirt. Which is why I think both sides are closer than most people believe or would like to think.

And now I'm rambling.
I don't remember banning you, but I commend your acknowledging your past and working to do better. Too many people never allow themselves to be introspective enough to have that kind of growth. You have my respect for that alone.

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
So reinstating the Fairness Doctrine seems like a good place to start to me.

For those who are unaware, the FD was a law enacted in 1949 we used to have until 1987. It required those in media who had an FCC license (which would include the major online services as well) to present both sides of an issue if they weren’t reporting straight news.

Needless to say those who are pundits hated the law as it made you tell the whole story, not just a slant to fit your narrative.

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I know this thread has kind of changed but unfortunately a fireman has now died fighting the gender reveal fire in CA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom