Ending the scourge of gender-reveal parties (1 Viewer)

You are kind.......I think they are TOTAL IDIOTS!!!

There is a $10K fine.....which is CHEAP compared to how much damage they have done.

One of the parties caused 7000 acres to burn....how many lives & properties have been devastated because these folks were CARELESS & STUPID! šŸ˜”.
I agree. Animals Lives Matter, too. By being selfish, showing a lack of caution, and recklessness, these idiots have burned down, destroyed, totally singed various wild animals species of wolves, bears, mountain lions, deer, elk, squirrels, birds habitats, nests, caves, dense forest bushes to sleep, eat and defecate in and then cover up, which most wild animals probably don't.

There is no problem with trying to make a wedding proposal or gender reveal special. It can be done without causing the apocalypse
I got down on one knee in the middle of J Alexander back in 2005 after 2 gulped down martinis for courage

Here's how the gender revealing went when my wife was pregnant all 3 times:

"Hey mom. We're having a boy. Yeah! Tell the family. Ok, bye."

Simple. Easy. Now everyone has to feel special.

Completely agree, but I'll go one further. Whatever happened to not finding out until in the delivery room? Are we really that impatient?
It was so great finding out for my two kids when they were actually born and then walking out into a waiting room full of anticipating family and getting to say "It's a boy!" Then everyone reacting with genuine emotion instead of faking it for some smoke bomb or balloon that had blue or pink come out of it.

:confused2:

"The woman best known for popularizing gender reveal parties has a message for the world: Please stop.

This week, as more than 7,000 acres in California were burned after a gender reveal led to a massive wildfire in San Bernardino County, blogger Jenna Karvunidis -- who is largely
credited for creating the gender reveal party -- took to Facebook to condemn the over-the-top events.

"Stop having these stupid parties. For the love of God, stop burning things down to tell everyone about your kid's penis. No one cares but you," she wrote." ...

:confused2:

"The woman best known for popularizing gender reveal parties has a message for the world: Please stop.

This week, as more than 7,000 acres in California were burned after a gender reveal led to a massive wildfire in San Bernardino County, blogger Jenna Karvunidis -- who is largely
credited for creating the gender reveal party -- took to Facebook to condemn the over-the-top events.

"Stop having these stupid parties. For the love of God, stop burning things down to tell everyone about your kid's penis. No one cares but you," she wrote." ...

Apparently, the ones attending these parties care too, or maybe it's the pyros. :scratch:

Completely agree, but I'll go one further. Whatever happened to not finding out until in the delivery room? Are we really that impatient?
It was so great finding out for my two kids when they were actually born and then walking out into a waiting room full of anticipating family and getting to say "It's a boy!" Then everyone reacting with genuine emotion instead of faking it for some smoke bomb or balloon that had blue or pink come out of it.

"used to be privately celebrated"??
is this true historically, the nuclear family as practiced in America is certainly not the norm for most of the world
i think the 'over celebrating' might actually be a backlash against the continued cloistering of contemporary life

maybe we have lost touch with basic rituals that most any culture has celebrated for eons

we used to have almost exclusively female baby showers to prep mom for the monkish 2 years she's about to embark on - but now moms work and dads (hopefully) participate in baby rearing, so gender reveal parties (however stupid) might just be a transition of ritual that includes dad

"used to be privately celebrated"??
is this true historically, the nuclear family as practiced in America is certainly not the norm for most of the world
i think the 'over celebrating' might actually be a backlash against the continued cloistering of contemporary life

maybe we have lost touch with basic rituals that most any culture has celebrated for eons

we used to have almost exclusively female baby showers to prep mom for the monkish 2 years she's about to embark on - but now moms work and dads (hopefully) participate in baby rearing, so gender reveal parties (however stupid) might just be a transition of ritual that includes dad

I have been to my share of "joint" both-parent oriented baby showers that are basically just parties (usually in the day time) that end up with the receiving of baby gifts. I think the convention these days is to have the shower after the gender is known (if the family is going to find out, which I think a majority do these days) - and this timing allows family and friends to know what the gender is for their consideration in selecting a gift if they're choosing to give one.

I get where you're trying to go with this but I don't know if there's a logical evolution from largely female-only baby showers to the now not uncommon ritual of revealing the gender in a social setting . . . and then I still don't know how blowing stuff up got into the mix.

I think, more likely, it is social media and the need (for some) to get Instagram or Facebook likes and views with their reveal. So it has to have flare - it needs to have wow factor and, because people are typically unimaginative, they just figure out a way to blow something up.

And whats up with swimming pools? Kids die in those every year. Do people really need to be so selfish that they need to own a giant pool of water for their own gratification?

I think gender reveal parties are stupid, but I am not going to tell people they can't do them. If they burn stuff as a result of one of them, they need to be held accountable, but I don't see the need to go on a tirade to try to stop them.

And whats up with swimming pools? Kids die in those every year. Do people really need to be so selfish that they need to own a giant pool of water for their own gratification?

I think gender reveal parties are stupid, but I am not going to tell people they can't do them. If they burn stuff as a result of one of them, they need to be held accountable, but I don't see the need to go on a tirade to try to stop them.
I think the fundamental problem is that you can't hold someone equally accountable for the potential destruction wrought.

Was all that land burning, animals dying, houses lost equal to a $10k fine? Make it a million.. can they even pay it?

I think the fundamental problem is that you can't hold someone equally accountable for the potential destruction wrought.

Was all that land burning, animals dying, houses lost equal to a $10k fine? Make it a million.. can they even pay it?

No, and the defense would be that the massive wildfire was wholly unintended and the result of an accident. It would be hard for the justice system to balance those interests and the result would not likely be a true account for what happened.

That's why I think a PSA campaign would be more effective (as we have seen with the Smokey the Bear campaign by the US Forest Service to cut down on fires started by negligent campers).

The fine is just the criminal part, they are also liable in civil court right? I agree they can't pay that either, but the argument I am seeing is not just against unsafe gender parties that can cause fires, its against all gender reveal parties.

The fine is just the criminal part, they are also liable in civil court right? I agree they can't pay that either, but the argument I am seeing is not just against unsafe gender parties that can cause fires, its against all gender reveal parties.

"Gender-reveal responsibly"?

Clearly the problem is not with the gender-reveal party concept - it is with the need to use dangerous mechanisms to do it. Why does it have to involve explosions or alligators?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom