Ending to Central Michigan vs Oklahoma St (1 Viewer)

RaginCajun83

Saints/Wrestling Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">CMU LATERAL HAIL MARY TO WIN <a href="https://t.co/c1keUPQH4t">https://t.co/c1keUPQH4t</a></p>&mdash; Chris Vannini (@ChrisVannini) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/774694029934137344">September 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CMU had been flagged the play before for intental grounding and the refs screwed up

@MikePeriera
Rule 3-2-3. "The period is not extended if the foul is by the team and possession and the penalty includes loss of down." Oops.

In this game OSU has a legitimate case that the refs stole the game from them. The ref, according to the rules, made the wrong call. The game should have ended on the grounding penalty, no question. I don't know that OSU has any recourse, but the ref should be reprimanded for not knowing the rules.

Been thinking about the ending of this game. Why didn't OSU just decline the penalty and end the game? There was no time left, thus they can't run another play, right?

I do think there should be recourse for a team in that scenario. By rule, OSU should be awarded the win based on the final play no being legitimate.

I do think there should be recourse for a team in that scenario. By rule, OSU should be awarded the win based on the final play no being legitimate.

I agree.....but it was already stated that the game will stand.

Been thinking about the ending of this game. Why didn't OSU just decline the penalty and end the game? There was no time left, thus they can't run another play, right?

OSU was called for intentional grounding on 4th down. OSU's QB was throwing the ball out of bound to end the game. The ref charged him with intentional grounding since he was still inside the pocket but instead of ending the game since there was no time left, he gave the ball back to CMU for an un-timed play.

One surprise thing was Mike Gundy didn't go postal during his post game interview.

OSU was called for intentional grounding on 4th down. OSU's QB was throwing the ball out of bound to end the game. The ref charged him with intentional grounding since he was still inside the pocket but instead of ending the game since there was no time left, he gave the ball back to CMU for an un-timed play.

One surprise thing was Mike Gundy didn't go postal during his post game interview.

That doesn't answer my question though. Why didn't Gundy just decline the penalty since there was no time left?

What kind of coach calls a pass play in that situation?

Answer - a supremely stupid one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom