English Bulldogs (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The wife and I've been thinking about getting a English Bulldog. The ones we've seen cost anywhere from $1300 to $1800. Dang they are expensive, and after learning about how all the births are caesarean section, I kinda understand why they are "more" expensive than the average full-bread dog, but in my opinion it's still WAY too much.
So my question is: What is it about the English Bulldog (besides the medical cost of the caesaren section) that makes them so expensive? Are they "smarter" than the average dog? Im just looking for more of a legitimate reason to justify the costs.....

Get yourself a recent book on them. The up keep and grooming are a daily necessity.

I would suggest rescuing. There are a boat load of rescue leagues out there.

Go to Petfinder.com and punch in English Bulldog.

I have an English Bulldog and he is the best pet ever. The manliness of a big dog with the lovingness of a lap dog. Great with the kids too. Wouldn't hurt a fly, unless of course that fly was in his bowl of food.

Cons are: Must clean the rolls in their face everyday and the shedding is horrendous.

But why are they so expensive? I love the "looks" of the EB, but the price on em is so much more than many other dogs that thus far (from what the two above responses are) have the same characteristics?

Ahhhhhh, Found some answers........

gen_301.1.gif

<!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/business/gpage/html --><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/personal/gpage/html --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><CENTER>
</CENTER><TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/paragraphs/style.1 --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2>[SIZE=+1]Why Bulldogs Are Expensive [/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD>Why are Bulldog Puppies So Expensive? There are several reasons that you pay more for Bulldog puppies. The primary being the fact that bulldogs are not easy to breed. It is rare to find a male that can naturally mount a female (due to body structure), and a female that can whelp her puppies without a c-section (due to big heads). What this means is there is several steps, and a lot of veterinary expense, and special paperwork, just to get your female pregnant. I am talking, target testing to see if the female is ready, semen extraction from the male, once she is ready, artificial or surgical implantation, and regular check ups and ultra sounds to make sure all is well. Providing all went well you still have the c-section, and the pup checks to make sure all are healthy, and there are none that need immediate veterinary attention, or require medication (bulldog puppies have a high mortality rate, and bulldogs are known to have water puppies). Now you get to take your sleepy mom and her new litter home. Where you get to play mom for the first 2 wks, as bulldogs have a tendency to non intentionally squash their babies. So for 2 wks you are up every two hours putting puppies in with mom so they can feed. You sit and watch while they feed, making sure that all is well, none are in danger, and they are all eating well, so you do not end up having to bottle feed. Hopefully your female has enough, and good milk or you end up feeding several puppies, or the whole litter. All this time and expense, and you may only have a litter of 2-4 puppies, or you can lose the whole litter and have to wait for your females next cycle to try all over again.

<!-- BOF buynow --><!-- EOF buynow --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/paragraphs/style.1 -->
<!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/paragraphs/style.1 --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2>[SIZE=+1]Sample Cost [/SIZE]</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD>Sample Cost For One Litter Artificial insemination (Qty 3-5) $1000 - $1500 Progesterone test (Qty 1-2) $120 X-ray / Ultrasound (Qty 1-2) $ 150 C-section (price can vary depending on delivery time/day) $ 600 - $1500 Mom & puppy vet checks (this can vary depending on complications) $500 Any necessary medications for mom or babies $ ?? Welping box (can be reused however absolutely necessary to ensure that mom doesn't roll on the babies and cause harm or death. $300 each Heating pads & lamps (can be reused however are a must) $50 each Puppy play pens $ 70 each AKC litter registration $ Additional costs: Blankets/towels (lots of them) cleaning supplies (the cleaning never ends) Puppy shampoo, wipes, nail trimers Milk (If needed, $3.50 per quart - this is not cow's milk) Food (to get one litter to 8 weeks) $150 And after all of the financial costs, don't forget to factor in all of the time that is dedicated to our parents and babies. It takes a tremendous amount of time, patience, energy and love to raise a litter of Bulldog Puppies.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Get yourself a recent book on them. The up keep and grooming are a daily necessity.

I would suggest rescuing. There are a boat load of rescue leagues out there.

Go to Petfinder.com and punch in English Bulldog.

:plus-un2:

you add all that in that previous post to the supply and demand equation... as well

come to ga, and the price goes UP. because of UGA.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100%"><table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"><table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="center">
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>It is rare to find a female that can whelp her puppies without a c-section (due to big heads).

<!-- BOF buynow --><!-- EOF buynow --></td></tr></tbody></table><!-- EOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/paragraphs/style.1 -->
<!-- BOF: ./personal-templates/simple/generic/paragraphs/style.1 --><table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="1" align="center">[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

You have provided me with a new nickname for my Grandson. Bulldawg is on the right with Godson, trying to act like he likes him, on the left.

Last edited:
Cute kids, Eeyore! :D

SAINTaholic, weren't you going to get another (very different) breed not too long ago? I would be very leary of getting a 'fad' dog at any time.

By going with the latest fad, you run the risk of poor breeding by folks just in it for the $. Do a search of rescue groups and you'll see the pets getting dumped when the owners (who just HAD to have a ___ so they'd be all that, then realized they were not all that). Remember all the dalmatians that were dumped a year after the return of the 101 Dalmatians movie?

Whatever dog you get should fit your lifestyle because you should expect to own and care for that dog for it's lifetime. (up to 16 years!)

Here are two websites you might consider:

This one is an online quiz.

This one is a questionnaire.

Good luck!

Sharon,

Yes, a while back ago we were looking at other dogs and indeed did find the one. We ended up rescuing a dog from the SPCA (it looks to be about 90% Pitt-Bull, and 10% only God knows). This was our first dog that wasnt a "pure-bread". And I'll tell ya, it's one the the best dogs we've ever had. We love him so much, that a few months later we wanted him to have a friend to keep him company (while we were at work), we then ended up addopting another dog from the SPCA (a half breed of a Husky and Charpei). She's still young, but she will no-doubt will also be a very good dog. In anycase, our interest for the English Bulldog has always been there, and a couple of months ago we were at a flea market (no pun intended... ha ha) where we ran across the most incredible / beautiful English Bulldog I've ever seen (he was $1800.00.. Thank God we didnt have that kind of money in my wallet, and Thank God the sellers didnt have a loan department there). Ever since that weekend, we find ourselves talking about getting one.

Bulldog club of america : The Bulldog Club of America

I have 2 bulldogs, spent $1500 on the 1st and $3500 on the 2nd. I have save more than $2000 on medical bills for the second, over the first.

Another thing I've realized is the price is actually a warning, because the dogs cost money in the long run too.

DON'T BUY ONE IF MONEY IS TIGHT!!!
but, I'd never own another dog.

tjharris; DON'T BUY ONE IF MONEY IS TIGHT!!!.[/quote said:
Well, looks like I wont be getting a EB anytime soon; "money is so tight" right now that Etheopean kids are sending me money (alright, dry hummor I agree.. ha ha)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom