Enough politics, time for puppy pics ( a few kitties too). (1 Viewer)

Beau, I have always wondered why show standards require you to do things to a dog that aren't natural. Why are docked tails, clipped ears, shaved eyebrows/whiskers the standard when the dog isn't born that way? I understand the practical application of traditional cuts on certain breeds, but again, these are show dogs. They don't really do those traditional jobs. So why?

Honestly, you'd have to ask the people who wrote the standards. In general, the terrier breeds had their tails docked to provide a better "handle" for the terrierman to pull them from the holes with--tapering tails evidently slip more easily from the hand--and that is something that continues to this day. You'd be surprised at how many show dogs are actually used for hunting or trialing in events that are similar to hunting, so, really, those "handles" are still useful. That being said, I'm going to be working with someone who wants to import the TFT breed to the UK and attempt to have it recognized by the Kennel Club, so we are looking for TFTs with "natural bob" tails to introduce to the breeding program. Such dogs have existed in the bloodlines throughout the history of the breed and, as long as there are no physical abnormalities are associated with breeding NB to NB, I'm happy to work with it.

As to the eyebrows and whiskers, I don't approve of it and generally don't shave them (more than a few exhibitors agree with me, too), since it's a fad and not anything that has a positive effect on the dog's performance of its work. I believe that, since whiskers are sensory organs, they belong where God put them, thank you very much. I only gave in to the co-owner that one day, since it was the first time I ever handled a MinPin in the show ring. I have not made the same mistake in the past nine years. :D To answer your question as to "why shave them?" the argument exists that doing so offers a better look at the shape of the head and muzzle, enabling the judge to better determine shape and adherence to the standard. I say, "Pffft," if Edd Bivins and his ilk can't tell the shape of my dogs' skulls by looking at them with whiskers and is unwilling to touch them with his hands, then that's a judge I can't credit with any skill" (all due respect to Mr. Bivins, he may have forgotten what a head with hair looks like--I'm just saying :mwink:).

To all and sundry, however: now that I've answered the question publicly, can we not hijack the thread? I just told my story as a funny in response to what I thought was a humorous picture, but I'd sure like to see more pictures instead of an OT debate. :)

Vida and Ritter amazingly staying off the fresh paint

paint.jpg

Plan view of Ritters pointy lil brindle head
ritter-1.jpg

Vida carefully judging the worthiness of the foothills
vida-1.jpg

s1179986102_980444_2055.jpg

Roo, my Shiba Inu, during the snow fall last year
s1179986102_980454_7065.jpg

One of his roomates Rocky at the same time
s1179986102_761937_7458.jpg

Roo pulling for the Saints. WHO DAT?!?!?!
s1179986102_854335_236.jpg

Puppy Roo
n1179986102_951343_3318.jpg

Roo and his roomates napping

How are the Shiba Inu as a breed? My fiance and I really want to get one, but I don't know if they'd be good with children or cats. We have 2 cats right now.

Black Lab - Sam
Rat Terrier (white/black) - Sport
Sisters Rat Terrier (white/brown) - Sassy

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom