Entering a new age of sports injury recovery: Akers, Watt, Henry and now Winston (1 Viewer)

Certainly the actual surgeries are more advanced
But I imagine the much faster recovery time has to do with much more aggressive PT interventions
- instead of immobilizing for 3 months, they probably jump into targeted recovery a few days after surgery
This x's 1000.

Kwon played like himself this season after his Achilles tear too.

I guess that’s why many are saying that Jameson Williams will still be a first rd pick despite that ACL injury.
Yeah, everyone on here said he wouldn't be back until week 8.

The videos he was posting said otherwise. The guy looked great in May.

Akers - torn achilles
Watt - torn pectoral
Henry - broken foot
Winston - ACL

It wasn't that long ago not only would you easily miss the rest of the season with these injuries, but you may not even be the same player the following season.

Add on a player like Burrow who suffered his ACL tear pretty fast into the season, yet he's come back with no ill effects.

Winston looks like he could play next week.

Thoughts?
Better/more advanced procedures.
Cooper Kupp torn his ACL a few seasons ago and came back better than ever. What a steal he’s been for the Rams.
And their RB who trucked Baker.

The first anomaly I remember was Adrian Peterson. Dude tore a couple ligaments and I thought he’d miss all season coming up. He was ready by preseason or something.

I hope Winston is ready quickly.
Yeah, all he did was miss the NFL rushing record by 8 yards and got the MVP..lol. That was a crazy season.

ACL tears are a bit unique. You aren’t simply repairing a torn muscle or ligament. They are taking a piece of your tendon and putting it where the ligament should be. It has to break itself down and then convert it self into a new structure basically. That takes time.

Therapy has advanced to get strength and motion back sooner. But religamentation takes as long as it takes. Move to quick and you can retear or stretch it out. 9 months is the standard minimum time frame. NFL players have the best of the best rehab but somethings just take time.

It seems the achilles tear is the new ACL tear-in that it was an injury that used to essentially doom a career and have a bleak prognosis, but became something significant but not career-threatening due to iteration of procedures and rehab methods. It does seem we’re at the point that even the achilles, the most brutal of all injuries, can be recovered from successfully with the right treatment and rehab.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom