Entering a Period of AFC Dominance (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Go team by team, and see which teams are set at quarterback and which teams need a quarterback, and it's clear that overall the AFC is currently the stronger conference and will be entering a period where that conference will be the dominant one. It is so true that there are two types of teams--those that have a top quarterback and those that do not. This maxim applies not only to the NFL, but also to college football where Alabama's superior quarterbacks over the past few years have allowed it to beat Georgia in one big game after another. (I am still kicking myself that I did not drive to Harrah's yesterday and bet on Alabama plus 6 and a half points.)

In the AFC, it seems there are three teams that desperately need a quarterback (Pittsburgh, Houston and Denver) and one team that might have a need (Cleveland, depending on whether it believes going forward it can win with Mayfield). And the star quarterbacks in that conference are young--Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson.

In the NFC, it seems there are four teams with a desperate need for a young quarterback (New Orleans, Detroit, Washington, and Carolina) with another four or five teams that might have a need because of the age of their starting quarterback or uncertainty that they have the right quarterback (Atlanta, Philadelphia, Tampa, and Minnesota). Also, with the exception of Prescott, the star quarterbacks in the NFL are older--Rodgers, Wilson, Stafford, and Ryan.

Go team by team, and see which teams are set at quarterback and which teams need a quarterback, and it's clear that overall the AFC is currently the stronger conference and will be entering a period where that conference will be the dominant one. It is so true that there are two types of teams--those that have a top quarterback and those that do not. This maxim applies not only to the NFL, but also to college football where Alabama's superior quarterbacks over the past few years have allowed it to beat Georgia in one big game after another. (I am still kicking myself that I did not drive to Harrah's yesterday and bet on Alabama plus 6 and a half points.)

In the AFC, it seems there are three teams that desperately need a quarterback (Pittsburgh, Houston and Denver) and one team that might have a need (Cleveland, depending on whether it believes going forward it can win with Mayfield). And the star quarterbacks in that conference are young--Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson.

In the NFC, it seems there are four teams with a desperate need for a young quarterback (New Orleans, Detroit, Washington, and Carolina) with another four or five teams that might have a need because of the age of their starting quarterback or uncertainty that they have the right quarterback (Atlanta, Philadelphia, Tampa, and Minnesota). Also, with the exception of Prescott, the star quarterbacks in the NFL are older--Rodgers, Wilson, Stafford, and Ryan.
Great post! You hit the nail on the head. The Patts are even ahead of the game in their rebuild, sans brady.

Great post. I completely agree on this assessment. The positive spin on the AFC dominance is that the NFC is wide open. So the question is what do the Saints do? Chase a franchise QB on spin their wheels in the meantime or build the roster and develop a young QB or develop the roster and go get a potential franchise QB when the opportunity is there via draft, trade or FA. It's obvious the team has been roster building the last few years during the twilight of Brees' career to prepare for this transition. Due to the talent and contracts across the team, this team is built more for a develop a young QB or acquire a young one via trade. Not so much sign a high paid during FA. If there was a franchise most closely run to the Saints, it's the Patriots. They are a year ahead in the replace the HOF QB process, but it is exactly what CBB did. He built the roster through the draft and didn't chase a QB, he waited and pounced on Jones. In the meantime he let Cam keep the seat warm.

Great post! You hit the nail on the head. The Patts are even ahead of the game in their rebuild, sans brady.

Yes, you brought up a good point about the Pats. They are essentially a season ahead of where the Saints are. They build their roster through the draft and only needed to add a QB which they may have done with Jones.

Last edited:
Too hard to tell with Buffalo, lamar Jackson has regressed, Cincinnati has never proven to be a consistent threat to win, As it stands right now there is only one excellent team in the AFC and that is Kansas City, Patriots are on the rise but still need to work on getting some offensive weapons

Great post. I completely agree on this assessment. The positive spin on the AFC dominance is that the NFC is wide open. So the question is what do the Saints do? Chase a franchise QB on spin their wheels in the meantime or build the roster and develop a young QB or develop the roster and go get a potential franchise QB when the opportunity is there via draft, trade or FA. It's obvious the team has been roster building the last few years during the twilight of Brees' career to prepare for this transition. Due to the talent and contracts across the team, this team is built more for a develop a young QB or acquire a young one via trade. Not so much sign a high paid during FA. If there was a franchise most closely run to the Saints, it's the Patriots. They are a year ahead in the replace the HOF QB process, but it is exactly what CBB did. He built the roster through the draft and didn't chase a QB, he waited and pounced on Jones. In the meantime he let Cam keep the seat warm.

Yes, you brought up a good point about the Pats. They are essentially a season ahead of where the Saints are. They build their roster through the draft and only needed to add a QB which they may have done with Jones.
The Pats did themselves the greatest favor by letting their players “opt out” during the pandemic. They took one on the chin, knowing that there were a handful of QBs in the upcoming draft. Brilliant move.

The Pats did themselves the greatest favor by letting their players “opt out” during the pandemic. They took one on the chin, knowing that there were a handful of QBs in the upcoming draft. Brilliant move.

Agreed. It worked to perfection for them. Knowing how BB exploits/breaks rules, he probably recommended they opt out.

Too hard to tell with Buffalo, lamar Jackson has regressed, Cincinnati has never proven to be a consistent threat to win, As it stands right now there is only one excellent team in the AFC and that is Kansas City, Patriots are on the rise but still need to work on getting some offensive weapons
Last night proved what i believed, there is only two legitimate powers in the AFC. Kansas City and N.E which is quickly on the rise.

Buffalo showed last night that they are pretenders

Last edited:
IIRC, the Belichick and the Pats were active in FA this year adding talent to their defensive and offensive lines. It wasn't all through the draft.

Last year would have been a great season to tank because nobody cared what happened. Does the Bucs super bowl really count? I mean they won at home with half the audience during a super weird year. Brees should have sat out and made this his final year. Too bad so sad!

Last year would have been a great season to tank because nobody cared what happened. Does the Bucs super bowl really count? I mean they won at home with half the audience during a super weird year. Brees should have sat out and made this his final year. Too bad so sad!
That is exactly the way I viewed last season’s Buc’s SB victory.

I believe that Winston should get another chance to prove himself.
1. No Michael Thomas. Hard to evaluate any QB with the current corps of WRs and TEs.
2. The obvious, his early season injury.
3. The other injuries, especially Tony Jones and the OL injuries..
4. The lack of high quality draft prospects at the position. I leave it to those who follow college football closely to opine on this topic.

I do not want to see a Sean Canfield or a Garrett Grayson or an Ian Book level QB drafted. The Saints have too many other needs. Tom Brady is the outlier; late round QBs usually don't pan out. Don't waste a pick on a QB after Round 2 IMHO. Of course I'm thinking of Brees, but let's remember that he was the first pick of the second round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom