Entire New Orleans Times-Picayune staff axed after sale to The Advocate (1 Viewer)

Frankly, I don't know how any newspaper can make money in today's 'instant media' climate. I'm sure that there are a few businesses that benefit from using that specific printed form of advertising, but most of those companies focus on journals and magazines that cater specifically to the trade(s) they are involved in. I honestly can't remember the last time I browsed through a newspaper to get my news, and when I have read something that was printed in a newspaper, it was an article that I found on a newspaper's website.

If a newspaper can't cut the expense of producing their editions, they simply will not be able to make any sort of legitimate profit. And that's the bottom line.

My "rant":

Well, when I was a kid...

The newspapers would give you the ENTIRE STORY including, for instance, the entire speech of a politician as opposed to today's snippets of speeches which are often taken out of context for Shock Value.

I think it's a shame that so many folk are satisfied with slanted snippets of the "news".

[Yeah, I know, not everyone wants in-depth information...]

I notice that the Advocate is now requiring a subscription to read the news online

Advocate on line now demanding subscription means I will no longer read it. I dropped NOLA.com when they moved the operation out of NO. Now I'll read NOLA.com as since its back to local ownership, and thus far no subscription fee.

All I know is these days I find it hard to find enough newspaper just to eat crawfish on., I actually have to buy rollls of brown paper I’m surprised any newspaper is still in print. Don’t we all just get out news from our phones?

is it becoming a full subscription website? or is it only paid if you have an addblocker installed or want a digital version of the printed paper?I get this pop up when I go to the website.

and when I click on it, it brings me to this. but it still lets me browse the site for now.

The single largest reason for the TP going out of business was they severely underestimated the number of loyal readers who want a newspaper on the front lawn every day. The TP wanted to go all digital.

So for those who don't understand that and believe everyone wants their news on a computer, you'd be wrong in that assumption.

Advocate on line now demanding subscription means I will no longer read it. I dropped NOLA.com when they moved the operation out of NO. Now I'll read NOLA.com as since its back to local ownership, and thus far no subscription fee.

The new local owner of NOLA.com is the Advocate.

is it becoming a full subscription website? or is it only paid if you have an addblocker installed or want a digital version of the printed paper?I get this pop up when I go to the website.
advocate.JPG

and when I click on it, it brings me to this. but it still lets me browse the site for now.
advocate2.JPG

Noticed that. I get it with the blocker disabled also. Free for now hard to say in the future. $10 seems like a lot for what I'm getting out of it.

One thing I have to say about ad blockers. These websites need to realize what their ads do to their site and be more selective in who they use. I have a blocker because their ads make the webpage unusable. Their adds freeze up their site and can make it time out. I have a computer that runs very demanding software, there is no reason a news website should be freezing up. This isn't just the Advocate its many sites (I have no issues here with it disabled).

If they would ever fix the real issue then adblockers wouldn't be as big a problem. At least in my case. I try to disable it for all sites I'd like to support, but if the site is unusable with ads it's going to stay on or I'm not coming back.

The single largest reason for the TP going out of business was they severely underestimated the number of loyal readers who want a newspaper on the front lawn every day. The TP wanted to go all digital.

So for those who don't understand that and believe everyone wants their news on a computer, you'd be wrong in that assumption.

^^This, times a thousand. As a victim of a print media buyout once before, I can tell you it's not fun for anyone involved. See my response in the thread a few days ago about this deal. New Orleanians might well get a 7-day print paper out of this, but watch those subscription fees go up.

To be fair, the T-P didn't want to do that. Their parent company Advance Publications, made them (from what I understand).

Anyone who has a mortgage can sympathize with these 161 earners for their families. I'm disgusted. Because I'm certain there was another way to accomplish that goal.

Physical newspapers are passe? Mostly. But I read four of them today at a restaurant waiting for my to-go order. IIRC, they were NYT, N&O, Washington Examiner, Washington Post. All sitting on the bar for anyone to read while I drank my Guinness and waited for my order. I guess I'm old school but I'm not completely alone.

Why didn't they sell it to Benson when he wanted to buy the company?
Probably because they were just thumbing their noses at Benson because people were pressuring them to sell.

advocate.JPG

advocate2.JPG
I get the same screen when I click an article to read it. Does that mean that I have ad blocker?

Last edited:
My understanding is that an out-of-state owner sold the TP to a local owner. If true, that's great news.

While it may stink for the newspaper staff, it reminds me of Blockbuster Video where you kind of had to see it coming with the steady decline.
Except news shouldn’t be viewed as a commodity
Independent news is vital for a healthy democracy
Corporate media gets us what we have now

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom