Equal Rights (2 Viewers)

Ooooookay wouldn't "Equal Rights" include the right to Marry which I'm pretty sure the Gay community cannot legally do everywhere in the U.S. just yet?

Good question B-Train. I couldn't agree more, the government should get out of the marriage business altogether.

I guess I was more focused on the campaign behind equal rights. If they used Marriage Rights then I wouldn't be concerned.

They're the same thing in this case. As buzd pointed out, there are a number of rights given to married couples that gay couples are not entitled to receive since they cannot marry. It's discrimination and an extremely outdated way of thinking.

In terms of the law, marriage is a contract between two people that bestow specific rights about taxation, insurance benefits, hospital visitations, and a huge number of other things. It's discriminatory to dictate which citizens can enter into these state recognized contracts.

I think any two adults who wish to enter into such a contract should have the right to do so. I just think the term marriage applies to such a union between a husband and wife.

I guess my big hang up is when I think of equal rights, it is truly about those who didn't have the same rights. Sure there are benefits not given to gay couples but that doesn't compare to the rights taken away from the minorities of this country.

I just think the term marriage applies to such a union between a husband and wife.

I was following a recipe the other day for fajitas.

It indicated that I should combine the marinade ingredients the night before so that the ingredients and flavors could marry.

It was herbs and sauces and meat. I married garlic and soy sauce and lime and salt and pepper and oil and cumin.

Do I need to go to confession now?

I guess my big hang up is when I think of equal rights, it is truly about those who didn't have the same rights.

Uh, they truly don't have the same rights.

Sure there are benefits not given to gay couples but that doesn't compare to the rights taken away from the minorities of this country.

Such as?

I guess my big hang up is when I think of equal rights, it is truly about those who didn't have the same rights. Sure there are benefits not given to gay couples but that doesn't compare to the rights taken away from the minorities of this country.

But it's the same issue. The civil rights movement of the 60s wasn't just about blacks. It was about everyone. That's why MLK isn't just a hero for blacks. He's a hero for all Americans.

Zats have you seen a gay only water fountain recently?

Do you want me to really tell you where it is?

No, but that's my point. Civil right movement affected the day to day lives of minorities, but this movement gives people tax breaks, and a few other legal rights. But doesn't change the day to day living of the gay community.

No, but that's my point. Civil right movement affected the day to day lives of minorities, but this movement gives people tax breaks, and a few other legal rights. But doesn't change the day to day living of the gay community.

I wanted to show you where the gay water fountain was.

I thought we could have a pretty good time.

You down? Don't be a tease now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom