Equal Rights (1 Viewer)

David this isn't about religion. I do not care what people do in their personal lives. I just find it shortsighted to use equal rights when the rules apply evenly to everyone.

When I think of equal rights I think back to MLK Jr. and a true rights movement.

I think I see the issue - I think you're conflating equal rights and the "equal rights movement"
the equal rights movement ALSO used an equal rights protection/constitutional argument- just like woman's suffrage, just like the Jews, Irish, Italians, etc
now the gays are ALSO saying "you have no legal grounds to discriminate against us"

But I'm guessing this isnt your real issue

Guido, I think you are closer to what I am saying. When I think equal rights, I think of the equal rights movement. The discrimination that the gay community faces today doesn't even compare to the discrimination back then.

Just seems they should us a different term such as Marriage Equality.

No, but that's my point. Civil right movement affected the day to day lives of minorities, but this movement gives people tax breaks, and a few other legal rights. But doesn't change the day to day living of the gay community.

Kind of like those damn women wanting to vote, amirite?

Again, people are angry at the symptons but the root cause is Government. Why is the Government "allowing" anyone to get married at all? They shouldn't be involved in the process for anyone!

Guido, I think you are closer to what I am saying. When I think equal rights, I think of the equal rights movement. The discrimination that the gay community faces today doesn't even compare to the discrimination back then.

So your issue is semantics?

Yes Buzd! It truly is a concern about the approach not the cause.

Fuzzy, next time I am in NOLA I will let you know. Be happy to hang with you.

Yes Buzd! It truly is a concern about the approach not the cause.

The thing is, state recognized unions serve a very real purpose - they convey default rights for joint property ownership, probate/descendency, child custody, and a ton of other things. Personally, I don't care whether we call them civil unions, or marriage, or marinations (thanks, Oye) - but to deny those rights based on semantics (it's already been shown that word can have multiple meanings) is shortsighted and discriminatory.

The thing is, state recognized unions serve a very real purpose - they convey default rights for joint property ownership, probate/descendency, child custody, and a ton of other things. Personally, I don't care whether we call them civil unions, or marriage, or marinations (thanks, Oye) - but to deny those rights based on semantics (it's already been shown that word can have multiple meanings) is shortsighted and discriminatory.
The Government shouldn't be recognizing anyone's marriage, and it certainly shouldn't be allowed to give me permission to own my own property. Therefore it shouldn't matter at all anyway. Also, taxes is the Government's way of robbing people to fund their regulatory process, so being as how that shouldn't exist either, Marriage certainly shouldn't play any role in their operations.

Then why not use Marriage Equality and use that as the PR to the movement?

I agree with you that equal rights is not as good of a term as equal protection - as in constitutional equal protection, which is where this is all going to end up sooner or later.

Maybe they're like 3/5ths as discriminated against

I'll let them know your feelings on this matter

I agree with you that equal rights is not as good of a term as equal protection - as in constitutional equal protection, which is where this is all going to end up sooner or later.
My favorite part of the Constitution is where it tasks the Government with vetting who is allowed to engage in social contracts.

The Government shouldn't be recognizing anyone's marriage, and it certainly shouldn't be allowed to give me permission to own my own property. Therefore it shouldn't matter at all anyway. Also, taxes is the Government's way of robbing people to fund their regulatory process, so being as how that shouldn't exist either, Marriage certainly shouldn't play any role in their operations.

That's an interesting outlook, and I would suggest that in feudal times (which is what you seem to be longing for), marriage wasn't state recognized and did play a much different role. Interesting slant.

Your probably right Superchuck on where this ends.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom